Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly 160km, tips?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Vizzy wrote: »
    Did you get sorted with the jacket and the shoes ?

If not, your local ALDI has a nice "waterproof" jacket for sale at €14.99. Looks quite good,light and very foldable and I have a pair of overshoes you can borrow ( size 45 or 46 ish)

PM me if you wish

Thanks for the offer but picked up a watwr resistant jacket in town, Worldwide and going to go without overshoes, I figure I'll be wet from 12 on regardless of what light gear i wear. It is just too early in the year for proper late Autumn /winter gear yet.

Really pissed off that the weather is as is bit at least we will get up Tickincor dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

At least today is not tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

bazermc wrote: »
    At least today is not tomorrow

Hard to argue with that.

Safe cycling to all invovled today, forecast no better, pity...

372 is my number, give a tap if ye pass....

All done and dusted, no Mahon falls due to adverse weather which was a pity really.

One lad came off descending off Powers Pot, apparently skid across the road on his back, nasty sounding injury. Hope he recovers well and isn't seriously hurt...

Did the 160km nice and steady in 5hrs 49mins.

Roll on next year!!!!

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Defy 1 meself. Green and will be wearing green shoes and top. keep an eye out!

How did you fare out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    How did you fare out?

Finished in 5:45 happy enough with that as I wanted under 6 hours and I think I'd have got the 2.5k that they cut off from Mahon Falls done in 15 mins at least.
    My body just doesn't seem to perform in that kind of weather, so I found it tough at times, particularly the climbs, where I just wasn't happy with how I perform, but maybe that's being overly critical.
    Had a poxy night's sleep the night before and felt I'd a sore throat coming on all day Saturday, so not ideal prep, but given the weather and riding the 2nd half pretty much solo, I'm happy with my performance.
    Enjoyed it overall, but the last 30 I was just wanting to get off the bike and have a nice shower!
    To then get back to my b&b from the previous night and ask could I take a shower and be told no, that didn't cheer me up one bit!
    Did you enjoy it anyway?
    The food at it is the best of any sportive I've done here, the sheer quantity of it is incredible, as is the number of volunteers, they really do a great job and I find it inspiring to be honest.

All done and dusted, no Mahon falls due to adverse weather which was a pity really.

One lad came off descending off Powers Pot, apparently skid across the road on his back, nasty sounding injury. Hope he recovers well and isn't seriously hurt...

Roll on next year!!!!

I think I was just behind that accident, fair play to the lad who came back up the road to warn others, that was good thinking.
    Hope everyone is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Did the SK 160 yesterday, tough conditions, rode a lot of it solo as I did it on the mountain bike and left at 07.45. Found the stretch from second food stop to last 15km the toughest due to the wind. Happy to compete it in other 6 hours moving. Super organisation as always thanks to the huge amount of volunteers that give up there time.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Roll on next year!!!!

another girl came off on the descent from the mauma on the cattle grid, ambulance job

have to say, saw some crazy cycling yesterday

lads overtaking across the white line and having to swing in to avoid upcoming traffic
    lads with no idea how to ride in groups, joining in to a club group when its overtaking them and not riding through
    lads on tri bars driling it in the groups wtf?
    surprised there was not more crashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A light gilet (if you have one) is better than a rain cape. No need for overshoes as your feet will eventually get wet anyway if there is continuous rain but they won't get cold.

Covered all options by wearing my Rebel Tour gilet with a rain jacket in the back pocket. The gilet was fine most of the time with a bit of overheating on the climbs. Eventually had to resort to the rain jacket over the gilet coming down off Máma in thick drizzle and was glad I had it. The overshoes somehow kept the shoes and socks dryish though that doesn't always happen.

Got around in 6:06 which worked out at 26.0kph. Time for a good few chats along the way. Anyone know when they closed the top loop at Mahon Falls? From a look at the photos, quite a few got up there before the weather closed in.

I'm going to attack it!
    ...so the plan is to get up near the front at the start and use the group to get to Tickincor at a good clip, then I'm gonna have a right good go at that climb and any others that follow.
    I'm going hard or going home!
    Haha, I'm climbing well at the moment, so feck it, I'm gonna give this a right good go.
    See you there!
    My body just doesn't seem to perform in that kind of weather, so I found it tough at times, particularly the climbs, where I just wasn't happy with how I perform, but maybe that's being overly critical.

Climbs have a habit of biting back when they are not given respect!;)

the descent is dangerous in the dry, surface isn't great, given the rain and the reduced visibility, the air ambulance would have been required again if they left us up it

I for one was glad it was closed and I'm considered a mountain goat

Andalucia wrote: »
    the descent is dangerous in the dry, surface isn't great, given the rain and the reduced visibility, the air ambulance would have been required again if they left us up it

Started a new job today and a lad there crashed off Mahon before they closed it, anyone who started 30mins before offical start time was unlucky not to get up there i reckon. It sounds like he hammered on the breaks and back wheel went on him rather than dangerous conditions if ya get me.

another girl came off on the descent from the mauma on the cattle grid, ambulance job

have to say, saw some crazy cycling yesterday

lads overtaking across the white line and having to swing in to avoid upcoming traffic
    lads with no idea how to ride in groups, joining in to a club group when its overtaking them and not riding through
    lads on tri bars driling it in the groups wtf?
    surprised there was not more crashes

There was one dope with tri bars and a hydration pack in a group we latched onto, he was up to some stupid stuff jumping on and off the front.

Same group had another lad in a greem Cannondale who was trying to climb hills in a 50/11 gear, dropping way off then flying past on the flat. We stopped for a piss before Tickincor to leave them off and we still caught them dying on the hill with a 3/4 start. Quite a few riders not suited to group riding all over the route.

Had some good fum descending the Mt Rd as i knew it was pretty safe so enjoyed letting loose.

Been there; done that and I agree. Just wondering when they closed it as there are quite a few photos of cyclists up there in pretty miserable conditions.

On a different matter, it was really great to have so many enthusiastic marshals out on the course but sweeping loose gravel off corners may not have been in the "job spec". Marshalling club races, we are always asked to bring a yard brush for use before the start. I am sure there is no shortage of them in the Comeraghs.

Just another thank you to all volunteers along the route and food stops, any amount of food available for all the cyclists.

Climbs have a habit of biting back when they are not given respect!;)

Hehehe! I did try !
    Legs just didn't quite have a kick in the damp weather

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

ADW1 wrote: »
    Did the SK 160 yesterday, tough conditions, rode a lot of it solo as I did it on the mountain bike and left at 07.45. Found the stretch from second food stop to last 15km the toughest due to the wind. Happy to compete it in other 6 hours moving. Super organisation as always thanks to the huge amount of volunteers that give up there time.

I found it tough enough on a road bike. Left early with a group from the club, but was just down to two of us after first food stop. Guy in a yellow jacket on a mountain bike caught us, and we exchanged a few turns before he (you?) headed on, leaving us as our pace was a bit slow I guess. I had a yellow rain jacket at that stage, and my buddy a blue one. Kudos to you tackling it on that.
    Think the mass start might be a better job next year as more chance of getting more help on the way.
    I knew I was a bit out of my depth with the group I started with. Kept with them to Ticincor (which we reached with 31.8 average). I paid later, and from Mahon Falls it was all damage limitation. Finished with 24.3 average, still an improvement on my last effort two years ago.
    Big Thanks to all the volunteers on the day. Great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Yes I think I remeber joing ye (two lads) somewhere before Ballymacarbry. Conditions at that stage were fairly poor. Still nice to complete the 160km regardless of conditions.

• Advertisement

Don't confuse wet and cold. It's unlikely to be cold on Sunday so don't overdress (a common sight on summer sportives - loads of cyclists on this year's WW200 hauling around winter jackets).

A light gilet (if you have one) is better than a rain cape. No need for overshoes as your feet will eventually get wet anyway if there is continuous rain but they won't get cold. (I wore them this morning but that was because I couldn't be arsed cleaning my shoes afterwards).

I wore light overshoes and it was the best gear related decision of the day. Feet were bone dry at the end. I suffer with cold feet so often wear overshoes in quite warm weather, so overheating in them isn't a concern for me.
    That and my light gilet made a huge difference to my comfort on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Did the 100km with a friend, I would concur with the standard of some of the riding. I'm not sure I'd criticize people for hanging onto a group and not "riding through" though, it's just a sportive and some folks just need a tow!

However, I noticed an awful lot of people would just ride in the middle of the road, for no apparent reason. This means either going up the inside, or over onto the other side of the road in order to get past, neither of which I'm fond of. Seriously, keep left is pretty good advice on a sportive!

The volunteering was absolutely first class, it really can't be faulted. Seeing a little girl standing in the rain with a bottle of water, eagerly asking every cyclist who passes if they need a refill was one of those things that made you think "People are ok after all, I really should stop wishing for giant meteors to hit the earth".

We also stopped into a little cafe after the Youghal bridge, it was signposted by a pink car. You had to take a bit of a detour and head into a garden center, but what a find and what great staff!

I did Mahon Falls on the Saturday, windy as heck and that descent is never fun in any conditions. The sheep give it an extra level of madness. But it was fine, I'm not sure how much worse it could have been on Sunday, but I presume it's more the numbers coming down at one time they wanted to avoid. Always a few cowboys thinking they can make up a few minutes on the descents!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Did the 100km with a friend, I would concur with the standard of some of the riding. I'm not sure I'd criticize people for hanging onto a group and not "riding through" though, it's just a sportive and some folks just need a tow!

However, I noticed an awful lot of people would just ride in the middle of the road, for no apparent reason. This means either going up the inside, or over onto the other side of the road in order to get past, neither of which I'm fond of. Seriously, keep left is pretty good advice on a sportive!

The volunteering was absolutely first class, it really can't be faulted. Seeing a little girl standing in the rain with a bottle of water, eagerly asking every cyclist who passes if they need a refill was one of those things that made you think "People are ok after all, I really should stop wishing for giant meteors to hit the earth".

We also stopped into a little cafe after the Youghal bridge, it was signposted by a pink car. You had to take a bit of a detour and head into a garden center, but what a find and what great staff!

I did Mahon Falls on the Saturday, windy as heck and that descent is never fun in any conditions. The sheep give it an extra level of madness. But it was fine, I'm not sure how much worse it could have been on Sunday, but I presume it's more the numbers coming down at one time they wanted to avoid. Always a few cowboys thinking they can make up a few minutes on the descents!

I couldn't care less about the whole 'riding thru' thing, personally find it to be self-important bollox of the highest order.
    Its a sportive, not a race, people are trying to get thru it and enjoy it for the most part, if that means getting an advantage from holding onto a fast group (I'd often be on both sides of that coin) good luck to them, so long as they ride responsibly and safely (which applies to us all at all times in any case).
    I start every one with the idea that I may cycle it solo with no help for 100% of it, so if someone happens to be on my wheel for the entire time, that doesn't change anything for me. If they want to do a turn fine, if not, I wont be getting angry with them for it.
    I went by one lad on one of the rolly sections in the first half, I could see he was struggling a bit so said to him to grab on, I made sure not to accelerate and leave him for a few kms to give him a hand. I left him later but he caught up and thanked me for doing it and we chatted for 5-10 mins. That's what its about for me, not all these self-appointed 'road captains' (:D:D) bossing everyone around. If your name is over the road you can do that, but if not just leave people to do their own thing and enjoy themselves, provided they aren't endangering themselves and others.
    Rant over.

Re. Mahon Falls mate, not sure about Saturday but it was the fog that caused its closure Sunday. I'd have loved to do it, but no issue with the decision at all.

Re. Mahon Falls mate, not sure about Saturday but it was the fog that caused its closure Sunday. I'd have loved to do it, but no issue with the decision at all.

2zyk906.jpg

2ry36sx.jpg

2dciyo7.jpg

A few photos from the event FB page. Nasty.

I couldn't care less about the whole 'riding thru' thing, personally find it to be self-important bollox of the highest order.

As one of a group of six who worked together to get around, riding through was certainly a great help on the flatter sections. We occasionally tagged on to other groups and did our turns, getting to chat to new acquaintances as we passed up and down. I also invited a few solo cyclists to tag on to our group and a few took me up on the offer.
    What didn't work was inexperienced riders working up the line and then realising that they were heading for some hard work and bailing out. Hopefully they will have learned that hanging on the back is fine but disrupting everyone else is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Been there; done that and I agree. Just wondering when they closed it as there are quite a few photos of cyclists up there in pretty miserable conditions.

On a different matter, it was really great to have so many enthusiastic marshals out on the course but sweeping loose gravel off corners may not have been in the "job spec". Marshalling club races, we are always asked to bring a yard brush for use before the start. I am sure there is no shortage of them in the Comeraghs.

Have been on numerous sportives where some marshall spends his or her entire time warning participants about loose gravel as they approach the junction that the marshall is controlling - rather than repeating themselves ad nauseum, I do often wonder why they don't just sweep away the gravel and both the marshall AND the participants could have a much safer / more pleasant day !

thats Blackwater Garden Centre, great little coffee shop there, I have stopped there a few times whilst out on bike, do great scones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

First time doing it and really enjoyed the challenge.

Met some sound people on the way. Special mention to the lad from MCC who generated a chuckle or two to help a few of us up Powers.

Rode much of the last 15km with the lad from Limerick in his 70's. Very impressive riding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement