Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydraulic brakes ?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my Giant Rapid3 Road bike from 2011 with a new Rapid2 which I guess will be roughly equivalent. One difference I have noticed however is that the Rapid2 2016 has hydraulic brakes. I've never had a bike with hydraulic brakes before and am wondering what the pros and cons are. Its mainly for commuting and I've never had a problem in terms of stopping distance with basic mechanical brakes so I'm mainly concerned with differences in maintenance. When the shoes on mechanical brakes wear down I can just buy a new set fit them in a couple of minutes and that's it. What about hydraulic brakes, do they break down often ? Are there components that wear down that have to be replaced and is this easy to do or would I need special equipment to change them? Are they more expensive to maintain and more of a pain to deal with ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have two bikes at home with hydraullic discs.

changing brake pads is no harder than changing brake block on a rim brake really.

One of teh positives is that there is less maintenance required, you should have less need to maintain. However i need to bleed the hydraullics on one brake, and i have been putting it off because i have never done it before. I gather i will need a tool to bleed and replace the fluid. Will get around to it soon enough, probably no more difficult than replacing a gear cable, but it is more unfamiliar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Discs are a boon for commuting - constant and predictable braking even when heavily loaded and in the wet. If you lose a spoke/buckle a wheel you can still ride, you still have brakes as the rotor is unaffected.

Had alfine disc for 6 years on my main bike and it worked a treat and pads lasted ages compared to my mtb equivalents (XT), now have sram hrd on the new commuter/road bike.

If they get squishy/need to be pumped a few times then they need to be bled - a cheapo job at a shop (as I recall shimano use proper hydraulic brake fluid - a bit nasty and Hope/SRAM use mineral oil), supposed to be easy enough to do like a car but never something I've bothered with.

I wouldn't buy a commuter bike without discs.

Advertisement