Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

100 KWh Model S On The Way

• 14-08-2016 10:18pm

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/13/tesla-model-s-and-x-100d-battery/

The P90 already gets more range than our old Honda CRV 2.0L Petrol.

100 Kwh about 380 miles and probably more.

If I add up that in a Leaf based on my efficiency of about 5.7 Kms per kwh - 570 Kms range though it would be pretty heavy but it would still be pretty amazing.

Still I wouldn't really need more than the 300-340 kms a 60 Kwh would give and hopefully it will be available at a decent price.

So battery tech is well beyond hydrogen today and at this stage of the game Hydrogen technology looks so old skool !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

If that is the NEDC rating it's probably a bit optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

That's the realistic range. NEDC would likely go for about 750

Not NEDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

NEDC rating for the new P100D is 613km which would mean a little over 10% increase in range over the P90D.

That increase might be larger in the non-performance variants. That comfortably puts the real-world/EPA range of a 100kWh Model S or X in the 500-550km range.

I used to fill up the CRV by about 300 miles max, 2.0L petrol.

360 miles out of the Model S is just amazing. This time next year will probably see 400 miles.

However, I still insist that ultra fast charging is better than lugging around a mad heavy battery that you'll most likely use all the range a few times a year. Though I wouldn't complain having about 5 times the capacity of the 24 Kwh Leaf, though I'm not sure if Tesla quote the usable or total energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

100kWh is the total pack capacity not the usable. That's why I said the increase might be larger in the non-performance variants. Because Tesla vary the usable capacity between variants (though most of the difference in range is due to differing weights and motor setups).

Personally I'd definately take the larger pack if it was an option. Then again, my use-case is extreme with a 200km commute and fairly regular trips of 1000km+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Though I wouldn't complain having about 5 times the capacity of the 24 Kwh Leaf, though I'm not sure if Tesla quote the usable or total energy.

You should check your maths. It's 4x the capacity :)

It would be nice if you could drive around with your 24kwh battery most days and then go to a place to rent/install a larger battery for long trips.

TBi wrote: »
    You should check your maths. It's 4x the capacity :)

It would be nice if you could drive around with your 24kwh battery most days and then go to a place to rent/install a larger battery for long trips.

Ha yeah ye got me after 4 night shifts. :D

TBH If you can charge 300 kms in 10 mins I think that would be great and it would save having to carry around such a large battery.

When they can eventually make them light enough then perhaps I would think differently about it.

Still I think 200-230 miles 300-340 kms is a lot of range for an Island like Ireland. Charge up 100 kms in 25-30 mins and you have 400 odd kms range, that's a lot of kms in a day.

You'll never keep everyone happy so they don't have to buy electrics.

Advertisement