Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a backpack?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

After a rough hike on and near Lug yesterday, my €10 day pack is falling apart and I need a new and better one

Requirements:

-size: about 12l-16l
    -must be waterproof (several hours of pooring rain, without having to put on a rain cover)
    -comfortable to wear
    -durable: must not easily rip from a rock or a tree branch, brambles, etc.
    -want to use my hydration pack in it
    -budget: not so important. I'll gladly pay for something really good
    -weight: the lighter the better, but this is not my main priority

Any tips / recommendations / advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This could be what you are looking for - http://int.berghaus.com/freeflow-20-rucksack/421237.html
    I have had one for a few years now and find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wow, I'm taken aback a bit by the size of that 20l pack. I guess I only need a 12l-16l day pack so! I'll edit my OP (which said 20l-25l)

That one is not waterproof BTW, but comes with a rain cover (the same as my own Berghaus 45+8l back pack). I'm looking for a fully waterproof pack (that can stand several hours of pooring rain without having to put a cover on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

unkel wrote: »
    Wow, I'm taken aback a bit by the size of that 20l pack. I guess I only need a 12l-16l day pack so! I'll edit my OP (which said 20l-25l)

That one is not waterproof BTW, but comes with a rain cover (the same as my own Berghaus 45+8l back pack). I'm looking for a fully waterproof pack (that can stand several hours of pooring rain without having to put a cover on it)

Aldi sold a fully waterproof backpack a couple of weeks ago it was black and yellow I think. Might still be a few knocking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I used to sell the things and I'd never sell even the most expensive backpack as 100% waterproof. 20cents for a bin liner inside it and job done.

Good point, my3cents. No normal gear is 100% waterproof. I went up Lug early last year in fully waterproof gear in horrific driving rain and windforce 9-10 and when I came back to the car after 5-6 hours, I was soaked through

Would like a back pack that can stand a few hours of "medium" rain though, although I would not sacrifice comfort for the 100% waterproof features of something like this:

feelfree-15l-dry-tube-l.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd look at it this way, 2 or three bin bags weigh next to nothing and if necessary in a hurry you can tear one open and throw it away. Sealing is just a matter of turning the top over. The dry bags can be heavy and after you have opened your pack up you still have to tackle the roll up tops. Spare bin bags allow you to separate out wet and dry gear if you have to carry wet gear. A dry bag that exactly fits your pack can be a good idea but avoid the really good ones made for sailing they are just too heavy. Perhaps use one of the cheaper light weight ones and throw it out when their are signs the proofing layer is wearing off.

With the waterproofing the weight is often the issue, a really lightweight pack or even dry bag will remain waterproof for a lot shorter amount of use than a heavier weight one. With traditional cotton and canvas the proofing was in the material but with modern material the proofing is on the surface. On the surface the proofing can wear off. However even the chinese know how to make a pack that will remain dry for a good while with modern materials here's what I look for.

1) Design - will rain run off is their anything stupid to catch the rain. Nothing too flashy thats just for looking good like extra seems letting in coloured materials.
    2) Stitching - good and heavy with a mixed polycotton thread - cotton gets wet and after tightening up expands in the needle hole polyester for strength.
    3)Seams - sealed and tapped in locations where rain could get in.
    4)Built in rain cover - avoid why bother making a well designed waterproof pack if you are going to include a rain cover.
    5)Inner pack should have its own seal pulling the top in before the lid seals down.
    6)Proofing - all materials should have obvious signs of having a waterproofing layer some packs just aren't made of waterproof materials.

It needs replacing now but I carry a cheap chinese Gilert 30l rucksack come rain or shine everyday for an hour or so when out walking the dogs. An hours rain and stuff inside starts to get damp but thats not surprising as one of the dogs had a good chew of it when I first had it about 4-5 years ago. I know thats a bit big for you but just saying you don't have to buy an expensive big brand name. Don't btw pay the RRP for Gilert and similar brands the mark up is massive and the retailer still makes a good profit selling at half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

unkel wrote: »
    After a rough hike on and near Lug yesterday, my €10 day pack is falling apart and I need a new and better one

Requirements:

-size: about 12l-16l
    -must be waterproof (several hours of pooring rain, without having to put on a rain cover)
    -comfortable to wear
    -durable: must not easily rip from a rock or a tree branch, brambles, etc.
    -want to use my hydration pack in it
    -budget: not so important. I'll gladly pay for something really good
    -weight: the lighter the better, but this is not my main priority

Any tips / recommendations / advice is much appreciated!

I've recently ordered a Sport 25 Pro from this company;

http://aquaquestwaterproof.com/sale/

it hasn't arrived yet so can't comment on it personally. It does get some good reviews and I got it on sale so it's only costing me around 40 euros delivered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj58HgS3yus

Edit: The bag arrived at 11am with An Post. Shipped from Taiwan. Ordered Tuesday 9th August - Arrived Tuesday 16th August.
    Looks very good quality with some nice features. Claims to be 100% waterproof with a 2 years "No worries" warranty. Without having used it I'm very happy with it.
    It's a roll top so not hydration compatible

The same bag costs £70 on Amazon and I got mine for just under 42 euros.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ITJLR92

I haven't been able to find a waterproof backpack that's hydration compatible for reasonable money so if that's a deal breaker for you then I think you may not find something suitable.

Ortlieb have some really nice bags, and the Elevation bags are hydration compatible, but they are massive money

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/trekking/

my3cents wrote: »
    IPerhaps use one of the cheaper light weight ones and throw it out when their are signs the proofing layer is wearing off.

That's exactly what I have been doing up to now! I've 2 cheap light dry bags inside of my cheap backpack
    I haven't been able to find a waterproof backpack that's hydration compatible for reasonable money so if that's a deal breaker for you then I think you may not find something suitable.

Thanks for sharing! Probably would have taken me a lot of research to come to the same conclusion

I guess I'll go for a good quality conventional bag with some signs of waterproofing (maybe user reviews) and then keep spare clothes that must stay dry in a cheap dry bag

Berghaus £35

Looks solid, good reviews, pretty rain proof

Linky

or

Lowe Alpine £52

Looks extremely comfy, good reviews, not so rain proof

Linky

• Advertisement

I love Lowe Alpine stuff and have a couple of their much larger rucksacks and they are all good but in this case I think I might go with the Berghaus. I hadn't really realised that nearly all the small packs around 20l only have zips, which I never consider are going to shed water as easily as a pack with a large buckle down top flap with an internal drawstring neck.

Design wise I'd be looking for something like this cheap Mountain Warehouse pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Warehouse-20-Litre-Rucksack/dp/B00I03VSOG/ only found it by looking around amazon and I hate the brand but its a good example of what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

While the waterproofing of the bag may be nice to have, it is not absolutely essential.

I keep my phone and car keys etc. in a drybag inside the backpack. Like this:
    http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/lifeventure-dristore-roll-top-bag-10l.html

After a good bit more deliberation, I went for the Berghaus. Can't really argue with €40 incl. shipping for this pack which seems to be pretty waterproof too.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Advertisement