Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flashing amber arrows

• 14-08-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

I was at a junction turning left with a flashing amber arrow. I went just through the light and waited at the line until there was a gap in the traffic as you are supposed to.
    There was a pedestrian waiting to cross the road at the junction and as I passed it they shouted something. I thought I might have done something wrong. I could see clearly that the light was red for the pedestrian crossing.
    I know at pelican crossings where a flashing amber light comes on you have to yield to pedestrians but there would be a flashing green or amber pedestrian light rather than a red one.

Should I yield to pedestrians at flashing amber arrows? I could see clearly that the pedestrian light was red. As a pedestrian it would not occur to me that I had right of way at a crossing like this since the pedestrian light is red.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

VG31 wrote: »
    I was at a junction turning left with a flashing amber arrow. I went just through the light and waited at the line until there was a gap in the traffic as you are supposed to.
    There was a pedestrian waiting to cross the road at the junction and as I passed it they shouted something. I thought I might have done something wrong. I could see clearly that the light was red for the pedestrian crossing.
    I know at pelican crossings where a flashing amber light comes on you have to yield to pedestrians but there would be a flashing green or amber pedestrian light rather than a red one.

Should I yield to pedestrians at flashing amber arrows? I could see clearly that the pedestrian light was red. As a pedestrian it would not occur to me that I had right of way at a crossing like this since the pedestrian light is red.

You were right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

As long as you had no traffic coming from your right. You were free to maneuver (once it's safe to do so!). The pedestrian was in the wrong (seeing that the crossing light was red for them).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For Dublin folk, the left hand turn at Raheny Church (going towards Donaghmede) is dreadful for this.

Driver 1 correctly waits to allow pedestrians cross at flashing amber.
    Pedestrians dither, not knowing they have the right of way.
    Gombeen drivers 2 and 3 start blowing driver 1 out of it.
    Driver 1 figures pedestrians are not crossing, so goes to take the left turn, whereupon
    pedestrians make a mad rush for it, narrowly avoiding getting hit.

Don't get me started on the fun bad drivers cause when the filter right hand turn arrow changes to solid green, coming from Donaghmede direction and turning right at Raheny Church towards town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

spurious wrote: »
    For Dublin folk, the left hand turn at Raheny Church (going towards Donaghmede) is dreadful for this.

Driver 1 correctly waits to allow pedestrians cross at flashing amber.
    Pedestrians dither, not knowing they have the right of way.
    Gombeen drivers 2 and 3 start blowing driver 1 out of it.
    Driver 1 figures pedestrians are not crossing, so goes to take the left turn, whereupon
    pedestrians make a mad rush for it, narrowly avoiding getting hit.

Don't get me started on the fun bad drivers cause when the filter right hand turn arrow changes to solid green, coming from Donaghmede direction and turning right at Raheny Church towards town.

I had a look at the place you're talking about on Google Street View. It's fairly similar to the traffic lights I was at so in that case pedestrians don't have right of way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I did the test, my instructor specifically said the Yield sign immediately following that set of pedestrian lights was to allow the traffic going up the hill have right of way. He said to treat the flashing amber on the pedestrian crossing as what we used to call a zebra crossing. It only comes on when traffic is being allowed up the hill, so chances are a driver would have to stop at the Yield sign anyway.

Why not just have a green arrow if the flashing amber gives cars the right of way through the pedestrian crossing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

spurious wrote: »
    When I did the test, my instructor specifically said the Yield sign immediately following that set of pedestrian lights was to allow the traffic going up the hill have right of way. He said to treat the flashing amber on the pedestrian crossing as what we used to call a zebra crossing. It only comes on when traffic is being allowed up the hill, so chances are a driver would have to stop at the Yield sign anyway.

Why not just have a green arrow if the flashing amber gives cars the right of way through the pedestrian crossing?

It is a warning to yield to traffic coming from left or right depending on direction of travel not all are for traffic from your right.

Only pedestrian crossings and not all have a flashing orange after green to allow pedestrians already crossing to reach the other side but anyone just arriving at the crossing must wait for the green man next time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you are turning left at a junction should you not always yield to pedestrians? The RSA seems to think so

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html
    To avoid doubt and in the interest of road safety a vehicle should always yield to pedestrians.

if you are turning left at a junction should you not always yield to pedestrians? The RSA seems to think so

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html

It's also advised and correct to let a pedestrian crossing already do so.

It's also advised and correct to let a pedestrian crossing already do so.

I'm still somewhat unclear if what I did was correct in the situation I was in. The pedestrian was not yet on the road and the pedestrian light was red for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

VG31 wrote: »
    I'm still somewhat unclear if what I did was correct in the situation I was in. The pedestrian was not yet on the road and the pedestrian light was red for them.

were they about to cross the road? if so you should have let them proceed.

• Advertisement

They were waiting to cross but the pedestrian light was red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, you were right. Approach the amber flashing light and yield to vehicles on your right.

This is not a zebra crossing, and you do not have to stop for people at the side of the road waiting to cross. Of course, if some muppet steps onto the road in front of you, you must stop and yield to said muppet. But otherwise what you did sounds fine.

Good luck driving through Dublin city if this was correct. You cannot stop, and beckon a pedestrian across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Good luck driving through Dublin city if this was correct. You cannot stop, and beckon a pedestrian across the road.

This behaviour is what confuses pedestrians IMO. There's a school crossing in my local town, on a major national road. It is manned at school times but it is not a pedestrian crossing outside of these times. Even tho it's about 30m from a set of traffic lights with pedestrian crossings, ppl still insist on crossing the road there and the traffic that stops and beckons them across the road is confusing the situation and IMO dangerous.

OP, you were right. Approach the amber flashing light and yield to vehicles on your right.

This is not a zebra crossing, and you do not have to stop for people at the side of the road waiting to cross. Of course, if some muppet steps onto the road in front of you, you must stop and yield to said muppet. But otherwise what you did sounds fine.

This is exactly the kind of clear reply I was looking for. Thanks!

Open you are fine happy motoring and keep an eye out for pedestrians and cyclists.

Advertisement