Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching off strava

Options
  • 14-08-2016 11:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i went for a walk in howth today with my wife (if you don't know howth, it's the ice planet at the start of 'the empire strikes back') and an article i had read yesterday made its presence felt - we went walking along balscadden road, i.e. past the king sitric restaurant, along a narrow residential road which links up with the cliff walk; and at one point i realised that i would probably have avoided that road on my bike in favour of the usual 'up and over' from the village to the summit and back down past the graveyard - because if i'd made the trip out there on the bike, i'd not want to 'waste' it on a road i'd not cycled before, in favour of testing myself against a route i'd already done.

is it just me? i'm not blaming strava - it's good at what it does - but am i too easily led into repeating what i've done before, in a macho attempt to beat my previous times? which are no great shakes by *any* stretch.

this is the article i mentioned:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/apr/12/no-more-hippies-and-explorers-lament-for-the-changed-world-of-cycling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Eh, there is a segment there... and I have it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Raam wrote: »
    Eh, there is a segment there... and I have it :pac:
    You've dropped back to 6th on the shorter first segment - time to get out again and take it back off that 'occasional' Clontarf cyclist! (I did LBL with him a couple of years ago!)

Kudos to you all the same for averaging 32km/h on the full segment! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You've dropped back to 6th on the shorter first segment - time to get out again and take it back off that 'occasional' Clontarf cyclist! (I did LBL with him a couple of years ago!)

Kudos to you all the same for averaging 32km/h on the full segment! :eek:

He's taking drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

i'd not want to 'waste' it on a road i'd not cycled before, in favour of testing myself against a route i'd already done.

But that doesn't tally with the article:
    As cycling’s popularity has increased, there has been a cultural shift away from fun and experiences towards a macho world of speed and Strava

What you've done is avoid trying to go faster, and instead given yourself a new experience. :)

Now Raam, post that segment and let's all have a go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

My complex philosophical view of Strava is as follows:

1. It works for me as motivation at the moment even though I won't be threatening anyone's KOMs

2. If it stops working for me I'll stop using it.

3. After a while I might start using it again for the entertainment it provides.

Et, ce ça

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    What you've done is avoid trying to go faster, and instead given yourself a new experience. :)
    nah, i was trying to say the opposite, that i'd probably stick to the main climb out of howth.
    usually when i head out these days, it's with a 'this is to put the head down and get fit' intent, and that's to blame far more than strava.

maybe i need another bike. a more relaxed one with a more 'you're out for an easy amble' attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What I'm hearing is that there should be another TT Hill climb in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

You could use Strava data differently. Rather than trying to beat a time on the same segment again and again, try to get a bigger/broader heatmap (provided by other software, I think). You'd be more of an explorer than a one-trick pony :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

i went for a walk in howth today with my wife (if you don't know howth, it's the ice planet at the start of 'the empire strikes back') and an article i had read yesterday made its presence felt - we went walking along balscadden road, i.e. past the king sitric restaurant, along a narrow residential road which links up with the cliff walk; and at one point i realised that i would probably have avoided that road on my bike in favour of the usual 'up and over' from the village to the summit and back down past the graveyard - because if i'd made the trip out there on the bike, i'd not want to 'waste' it on a road i'd not cycled before, in favour of testing myself against a route i'd already done.

is it just me? i'm not blaming strava - it's good at what it does - but am i too easily led into repeating what i've done before, in a macho attempt to beat my previous times? which are no great shakes by *any* stretch.

this is the article i mentioned:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/apr/12/no-more-hippies-and-explorers-lament-for-the-changed-world-of-cycling

It's the only way I've ever gone out of Howth. The other hill terrifies me :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the main climb out of the village is the only way i've ever gone - i've never done it in the opposite direction, the descent into the village would be frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

the main climb out of the village is the only way i've ever gone - i've never done it in the opposite direction, the descent into the village would be frustrating.

Frustrating? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

some great back road routes up around howth and sutton and you will always end up back at the main road at some point. that climb up by balscadens a great little kick and not that tough. the descent into the village isnt frustrating it can be hairy though at times especially if theres a bus stopped at the church

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Two laps of everything sorts it out, went down to Laragh to do the old Sorrento mountain classic route Glenmacnass - Sally Gap - Luggala - Roundwood and did two laps of that circuit and it's sorted out in Strava.

Mind you it never bothered me going out on new roads and I don't change my route because of it.

Strava is a training / social tool like any other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Frustrating? Why?

I met a car reversing up the hill Saturday afternoon. The lady had missed the entrance to a driveway.
    Other than that I've never had any issues descending into the village once you keep your eyes peeled

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Frustrating? Why?
    i'd just be paranoid about the traffic and the speed, and having to bleed off so much as the hill ends relatively abruptly. i just guess i get better return for my effort if i've the nice, longer, more enjoyable downhill on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

i'd just be paranoid about the traffic and the speed, and having to bleed off so much as the hill ends relatively abruptly. i just guess i get better return for my effort if i've the nice, longer, more enjoyable downhill on the other side.

the down hill to the village doesnt end till you hit the T junction at the harbour, its hardly an abrupt end to a descent

Advertisement