Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using tub tape on glued carbon rim

Options
  • 15-08-2016 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I recently bought a second hand set of Planet X carbon wheels. They had Tufo tyres on them fixed in place with Tufo tape. I recently got a puncture that I was unable to repair with sealant so I took the tyre off to put a new one on. When I bought the wheels I also got a spare Tufo tyre and tape which I am planning to use.

After taking it off I noticed that previous tyres had been glued on with the result that there was a layer of old glue on the rim underneath the tape. I have taken all the old tape off the rim and was hoping to clean the glue off too using acetone/white spirits but the local shops don't have any so any other suggestions for cleaning the rim are welcome.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether or not it would be ok to clean off as much of the glue as possible from the rim and then just put the tub tape on over it? My concern is whether the strength of the bond of the tape will be sufficient given the existing old layer of glue and also if the uneven surface of the rim with the glue on it will effect ride quality too badly?

In summary what are peoples opinions on fitting Tufo Tub Tape to a rim that has old glue on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Best to take the glue off. You can get acetone from beauty supply shops - eg Sally on Drury Street if in Dublin. I use tape on the rim and then a couple of layers of glue on top of that for CX. Much easier to clean the rims if you need to change the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

That's what I am thinking too especially since I didn't put it on myself and don't know the history behind it.

Finding it hard to get pure acetone. Lots of shops have it as nail polish remover but that has oil or fragrance in it which might leave a residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I got a bottle of high strength Acetone from a guy on Adverts last year .

With regard to run tape....I used Effeto Maripiso ( Caffe Latex) Carogna tape for the first time over the weekend. Very impressive impression from the ride. Certainly a whole lot cleaner then glue.
    Was gonna start a thread on it just as a way seeing how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I got conc acetone from Sally - annoyingly have litres of it at work, but not allowed to remove it from site. Goof off works too, you can order that on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Managed to get my acetone in a hardware store so will start to strip the glue off this weekend and put the new tape and tyre on. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement