Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking over night in Pheonix Park

Options
  • 15-08-2016 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Would this be possible, and furthermore advisable, at the weekend as a cost saving measure?

I'll be staying in Dublin 8 and would be leaving the car for Friday and Saturday night on the road adjacent to the monument.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

The chances of coming back to find your car surrounded by broken glass and missing parts , would be reasonably high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Would this be possible, and furthermore advisable, at the weekend as a cost saving measure?

I'll be staying in Dublin 8 and would be leaving the car for Friday and Saturday night on the road adjacent to the monument.

Thanks

If your park, do so on the main road in a bright spot.
    Though check the bylaws regarding overnight parking. It may be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There are no bright spots in the Phoenix Park on the main road though, the lighting is pretty dim. But I wouldn't do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Actually better off just leaving it somewhere in on-street in Dublin 8 (presuming there is any) as it's more populated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yeh I wouldn't leave a car in the park over night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

many places in D8 without yellow lines

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Where in D.8 are you staying?

There are very few places in the area that have pay parking on a Saturday - very close to St. James' Hospital is the only one I can think of.

I wouldn't leave any car in the Phoenix Park overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where in D.8 are you staying?
    Just off Thomas Street. Near Meath Street.

Pretty resounding consensus.

Anywhere cheap to leave the car around Dublin 8 for the two nights so?

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Cook Street, off Winetavern Street is free parking at weekend I think. Left the car there before and had no hassle. Just leave nothing on display that could tempt the local addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

On-street parking isn't as risky as Phoenix Park. Yes there's a bit of a risk but it's not as frequent as people think. I'd say go for it and find on-street parking in D8 for the weekend (just make sure to thoroughly check the signage as it varies from street to street). That said, if you feel you'll be needlessly worried about the car then use a pay car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just off Thomas Street. Near Meath Street.

Pretty resounding consensus.

Anywhere cheap to leave the car around Dublin 8 for the two nights so?

Thanks folks.

Inchicore to crumlin would have perfectly fine spots. Both within walking distance. Anywhere along that stretch of the canal.

I have the sat nav so I'll check out those spots Friday night.

Thanks a lot guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Head toward harolds cross or terenure. Plenty of free parking and get a bus to town

endacl wrote: »
    Inchicore to crumlin would have perfectly fine spots. Both within walking distance. Anywhere along that stretch of the canal.
    Inchicore and Crumlin are miles away!

There's loads of residential disc parking just off Meath Street and Thomas Street, and I'd be very surprised if that had to be paid for on a Saturday - I live not far from there in Kilmainham and only the streets right beside the hospital are pay on Saturdays.

OP, if you have the time, go to where you're staying and drive around in ever increasing circles until you find residential roads where parking isn't charged for on a Saturday.

Your other option, if you were up for it, would be to find Dublin Bike stations in residential areas, and park near one of them and cycle in to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Miles away doesn't mean not within reasonable walking distance. Are you one of those lazy people I've heard so much about?!?

:D

Seriously though, they're not all that far, and the balance between free and reasonably safe would be better than the park.

Also a bit of a hike down to the park, in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Inchicore and Crumlin are miles away!

There's loads of residential disc parking just off Meath Street and Thomas Street, and I'd be very surprised if that had to be paid for on a Saturday - I live not far from there in Kilmainham and only the streets right beside the hospital are pay on Saturdays.

OP, if you have the time, go to where you're staying and drive around in ever increasing circles until you find residential roads where parking isn't charged for on a Saturday.

Be sure to check the signs though, some of the streets are pay until midnight or 24 hours as you get closer to the hospitals.

Your other option, if you were up for it, would be to find Dublin Bike stations in residential areas, and park near one of them and cycle in to your destination.
    I don't have a credit card! Dublin Bikes is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Heuston station is within walking distance and the charge is €8 per 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Free parking beside the canal in portobello at the weekend if i'm not mistaken.

on portobello road can be very hard to get a spot there.

maybe too far from where you want to be though

• Advertisement

I'd say the chances of Dirty Mike and the boys turning your car into an 'F Shack' would be pretty high if you did this OP.

Heuston station is within walking distance and the charge is €8 per 24 hrs.
    €16 is money that could be badly spent on buritos and pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

€16 is money that could be badly spent on buritos and pints.

Versus your insurance excess not spent on them.

You aren't going to get anywhere cheaper. There is nowhere on-street nearby I'd be willing to leave my car for two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Park in Oscar square, all free on street parking and about 5 mins walk from the town end of Thomas street. Had a mate living there for a while and left the car over nights (and festival weekends) on many occasion without issue.

Advertisement