Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Chipper!

Options
  • 15-08-2016 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

So I heard there's a Chipper opening on Camden Street that will have a vegan fryer and do vegan burgers, battered burgers/sausages etc. Using Moodleys.

It's called Mcguinness traditional takeaway as far as I know.

Anyone else hear about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Sounds cool. First I've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

cormie wrote: »

That's what I was thinking. It's the vegan hot spot, also at weekends Veginity food truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Moodley vegan garlic mayo that they have at tastings, if its going on general sale, is pretty much indistinguishable from standard egg-based chipper garlic mayo. May be worth asking for at this place.

What is traditional? Vegan is not.

Also, why do vegan want fake meat staples? Never understand that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because meat is tasty. Vegans like tasty too.

:)

endacl wrote: »
    Because meat is tasty. Vegans like tasty too.

:)

But why do they want a pretend it is meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dunno.

Many reasons. Some people are vegan for ethical reasons but still like the taste/texture/etc.

Burgers were designed as easily consumable food for any environment - self contained. There is no reason not to try provide equivalent fillings for people

The idea that veganism requires you to not look for equivalents to what you previously ate is insane and will only drive people away. Even in vegetarianism you have to look at the popularity of (egg containing) burgers and sausages.

If somewhere can provide a vegan option of burgers/battered sausage/whatever it serves a purpose for ethical vegans, reduces any potential exclusion you may find from being vegan, and reduces barriers for entry for future vegans. And I write this as someone who currently only does maybe 2 or 3 out of 7 days a week as vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If you're just here to troll you're wasting your time... we've heard it all before and we'll eat what we want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I like the taste of certain meats and if I can get that without an animal having to die then happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PathMatcher

That McGuinness takeaway (beside the Palace) has been open a while now. Have they started doing the vegan food yet anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PathMatcher

cormie wrote: »
    There's also Happy Food:

And Sova Vegan butcher:[/url]

Both 100% vegan. Camden St. could be the new Vegan quarter in Dublin city :pac:

Sova has some amazing dishes, a little on the expensive side though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's a proper restaurant, 3 courses for €22.90 is not what I call expensive :P
    Cheaper at lunch time too.
    The chipper is doing vegan food yep, would like to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ChimesMidnight

I have an image of the vegan menu for the McGuinness chipper. Was there on Wednesday. It's very tasty and reasonable prices:

i.imgsafe.org/0906f110e9.jpg

The batter burger does not come in a bun or with any lettuce/vegetables/etc that's why it's cheaper.. The veggie kebab is delicious. Gonna try the "Moodleys Boss Burger" next time. They have vegan mayo also for the chips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for that, cant wait to try. Mind if I steal it for facebook?

No problem at all.

They have practically zero online presence! Suppose it's the norm for chippers (as opposed to proper restaurants). It is definitely very "chipper"-y food btw. E.g. the kebab is nothing like the kebabs you get in Happy Food. It's exacty the same as a chipper kebab except for the vegan meat.

A batter burger never comes in a bun (in Dublin at least), I believe its called something ludicrous like a "whirley burger" when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I was a meat-eater for thirty years, a vegan for ten years, and I'm a meat eater again. I was a vegan for health reasons, and when different health reasons were discovered, I had to go low-carb; it's practically impossible to do low-carb as a vegan. Then I married a fellow who wants to be a butcher, even though he too was a vegan in his 20s; he is still very interested in the ethical raising and slaughter of food animals. I still make my own tofu and mock meats. I still develop my own mock meats. I like them. My husband doesn't care for tofu, but he didn't when he was a vegan, either. Maybe before too long we'll open a butcher shop with a vegan sideline here in the West. It would be fun to offer vegan chip-shop takeaway stuff.

• Advertisement

If you are still interested in low carb vegan things, here is a good place to read about it! https://www.reddit.com/r/veganketo/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If you are still interested in low carb vegan things, here is a good place to read about it! https://www.reddit.com/r/veganketo/

Thanks, I'll keep reading that reddit for ideas, but for now I don't see anything new except a heavy emphasis on nasty protein powders. Tech marches on, though, and I'm sure there will eventually be breakthroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Was interested in this place so dropped in yesterday. Was very disappointing. They didn't have ANYTHING in stock from their vegan menu and the 2 staff didn't seem to know what was going on with it. I'd love to know if they make two separate batter mixes and if they use as well as if they use separate fryers. The staff didn't instill much confidence...

Anyway, went home to have avocado salad and felt much better for it!

Was interested in this place so dropped in yesterday. Was very disappointing. They didn't have ANYTHING in stock from their vegan menu and the 2 staff didn't seem to know what was going on with it. I'd love to know if they make two separate batter mixes and if they use as well as if they use separate fryers. The staff didn't instill much confidence...

They have been overrun with vegans after I posted it on Facebook, sorry. It had hundreds of people interesred and they are not used to that. They are getting restocked today I believe.

They told me they use separate fryers for the vegan food. I'd say they will improve the process (staff knowledge, stock, etc...) with time especially now they see the demand for vegan menu.

Advertisement