Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Trade in clearance" sale

• 15-08-2016 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Saw an advert stating "trade in clearance"

This doesn't mean it's a "trade sale" does it?

It's an older mid range car in a garage normally selling more recent higher range cars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

acc2016 wrote: »
    Saw an advert stating "trade in clearance"

This doesn't mean it's a "trade sale" does it?

It's an older mid range car in a garage normally selling more recent higher range cars
    Normally would imply that he took the car in as a trade-in against another car he sold. However, it mightn't really fit with his usual stock in trade (usually older than rest of stock, or a different make, or whatever), so he's trying to move it on quickly and it may be cheaper than the rest of his stock (another option would be a trade-sale to another garage where it'd fit better). So as you describe it fits: older car in a garage with higher range stock.

To be honest, it's pretty much information-empty from a buyer's point of view. Look at the car on its merits, get it checked, etc.,

He may try to put trade-sale on the receipt or bring that up in discussion (espec. if v. cheap, and because his other option is a true trade sale). I've bought cars that way (at the sub-€1k level) and it's been fine as just meant that they wanted shut of the car and couldn't justify any kind of warranty / after-sales. However, it's not really legal and if you're spending more (like few k plus) I'd get nervous.

Good luck with car-hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trade clearance normally means that they are selling the car in the same condition they bought it or took it as a trade-in. In a lot of case it can also mean that it's being sold as seen with no warranty as the dealer either doesn't see enough profit in offering a warranty on it due to age, value, condition, etc or knows it needs alot of work carried out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 acc2016

bazz26 wrote: »
    Trade clearance normally means that they are selling the car in the same condition they bought it or took it as a trade-in. In a lot of case it can also mean that it's being sold as seen with no warranty as the dealer either doesn't see enough profit in offering a warranty on it due to age, value, condition, etc or knows it needs alot of work carried out on it.

I spoke to them and they would offer a three month warranty with Car Protect on it; which is something but I imagine there is all sorts of get out clauses with this sort of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

acc2016 wrote: »
    I spoke to them and they would offer a three month warranty with Car Protect on it; which is something but I imagine there is all sorts of get out clauses with this sort of warranty.
    Any kind of warranty gives some (perhaps very limited!) sense that they don't expect a problem with the car.

The true "trade sale" situation boils down to (in my experience): "look, I'm selling you this car for €900, as far as I know there's nothing wrong with it and I'll get it NCT'ed for you before you collect it; but I'll only sell it to you if you promise not to come back to me if something breaks the morning after; it's just not worth the trouble to me to have the risk of a 12 year old car becoming an ongoing saga if something random blows up/falls off the week after you collect it"

Drove the car fine for a year and 25k miles. But absolutely it's a case of caveat emptor.

Advertisement