Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive behaviour among cyclists

Options
  • 15-08-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have often noticed anytime I'm in Dublin cycling about how its quite competitive for road space among commuter cyclists often cutting each other up but this morning while driving in my car (glad to be in it) I witnessed one cyclist thump another one when they were stopped at red just because the first lad bet him to the narrow space of the cycle path while double-decker buses where passing by.

Some nut job on racers out there!

Is there much experience of that here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cyclists are people. Some A lot of people are dicks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

But cyclists are never wrong! It's always someone elses fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Casey78 wrote: »
    But cyclists are never wrong! It's always someone elses fault.
    Don't talk nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

There are ar$eholes in every walk of life, and cycling is no different.

Remember:

AGAINST-YOU-380x292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

PaulieC wrote: »
    Cyclists are people. Some A lot of people are dicks.

That can be, but I dont really witness this type of behaviour among pedestrians. Cycling does seem to raise the stress levels (of a few)

• Advertisement

Michelin wrote: »
    That can be, but I dont really witness this type of behaviour among pedestrians. Cycling does seem to raise the stress levels (of a few)
    I've seen pedestrians push other pedestrians out of the way, sometimes off the footpath and into the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

That can be, but I dont really witness this type of behaviour among pedestrians. Cycling does seem to raise the stress levels of many

Have you ever stood and watched pedestrians trying to negotiate their way around a hoard of yellow-bagged English language students that has blocked the entire footpath? Don't tell that doesn't cause aggressive, or passive-aggressive, behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Cycling in traffic can raise stress levels occasionally, almost always though it reduces stress. I cycle rather than drive because it is a much more pleasant, speedy and less stressful way to travel into dublin city centre than in a car. In fact it is even less stressful than a luas which is normally my alternative if I decided not to bring the bike (e.g. if it is icy or dangerously windy out.)

In 6/7 years of commuting 5 days a week I have never seen a cyclist thump another though. The stress/anger is normally generated by fear, if someone puts me in danger or worse makes me think I am about to die then anger is a natural reaction. You mention a double decker bus was passing a narrow space, I wonder if the guy who lashed out was doing so because the other guy squeezed him into the bus and he thought he was about to go under it. I imagine that there must have been more to it than being annoyed about being "beaten" to the red light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I dont really witness this type of behaviour among pedestrians.
    at what point do they stop being pedestrians, and just become people having a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

That can be, but I dont really witness this type of behaviour among pedestrians.

Really ... ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/executive-punches-cyclist-for-riding-bike-on-dublin-footpath-1.2715085

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

C3PO wrote: »

Was personally speaking but of course it happens.

It was just not nice seen one cyclist assaulting another just because he couldnt get ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have often noticed anytime I'm in Dublin cycling about how its quite competitive for road space among commuter cyclists often cutting each other up but this morning while driving in my car (glad to be in it) I witnessed one cyclist thump another one when they were stopped at red just because the first lad bet him to the narrow space of the cycle path while double-decker buses where passing by.

Some nut job on racers out there!

No. I've done about 35,000km cycle commuting Dublin over the last 8 years and have never seen a fight. I think twice I've seen someone shout at another cyclist for doing something stupid. People tend to just get on with things. Same as if someone stops in the middle of Grafton street and you nealry walk into them; you just go on your way, you don't get into an argument about it.

Cycling is naturally pretty stress-relieving, you rarely encounter someone else on a bike who's tense and edgy.

Countless times I've seen people in vehicles though beeping and screaming at each other for fairly minor things, and even people jumping out to shout at each other on occasion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Cyclists can be very aggressive,you'd notice in this forum they tend to gang up on anyone who has a problem with them.

Some actually promote dangerous cycling and endangering other road user's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

at what point do they stop being pedestrians, and just become people having a fight?

And likewise, at what point do cyclists stop being cyclists, and just become people having a fight?
    I can see this thread becoming quite philosophical.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Some nut job on racers out there!

In my experience most of the 'nut jobs' are on MTB's/hybrids/Dublin bikes and seem to feel that they have to prove themselves in the vicinity of a Lycra clad road cyclist.

Taking the space in front at the lights is a habit often exhibited by slower cyclists with no awareness of how frustrating it is for those who travel faster.

Cyclists can be very aggressive,you'd notice in this forum they tend to gang up on anyone who has a problem with them.

Examples please?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you've any issues with posts on this forum, report them and the mods will deal with them.

Thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

endagibson wrote:
    Examples please?

Like thinking its OK to cycle the new line in the Burren two abreast that's a lethal road.

Then I notice here a lot of posters who are cyclists take any problems with cyclists very personal rather than being neutral about it.

Cyclists can be very aggressive,I remember there used to be a guy on YouTube cycling around looking for trouble.
    Very aggressive and vindictive I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

http://imgur.com/gallery/FOwZ77O

I met one of these in real life. Didn't think they existed. We were talking about commute times and out of the blue he went off on an incoherent rant about cyclists taking their lives in their own hands/they'll lose in a fight with a car/they're arrogant and up on an high horse and looking down from an ivory tower who do they think they are.

So that was surreal, and sometimes people do behave in real life the way I had once thought was only online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Like thinking its OK to cycle the new line in the Burren two abreast that's a lethal road.

What makes it lethal? Riding two abreast?

Please educate yourself before you embarrass yourself further.

You can't accuse people of "ganging up" if you deliberately try and spew uninformed and ridiculous statements. I mean, if it hasn't worked for Trump, why would it work for you?

And yes, that's exactly who you sound like...maybe not in your own head, but to the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stealthfins has been (separately) instructed not to post in this thread again, so please do not respond to their posts further

Thanks

I'd also like to add that the "Irish-ism" of "That's a lethal road!" normally means:

The road is perfectly fine
    The road is narrow and winding, which is fine at a speed appropriate for the road
    The road is marked by a "100 km/hr" speed limit sign
    Road users believe that means that you must travel at or just above this limit
    The road is not safe at that speed
    The road is now lethal because drivers are unable to exercise any judgement and are simply "sticking to the speed limit"
    Death ensues

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You could blame the professionals:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/philip-deignan-rodriguez-split-my-lip-with-a-punch-on-climb-30571873.html

Also, there does seem to be in general not much widely publicised info on cycling etiquette in terms of other cyclists. The focus is very much on cars \ truck v cyclists. Of course, there are some people who that would not make a difference to...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

endagibson wrote: »
    Examples please?

Certainly.

Bus stop beside Foxrock Church going south. Lots of school kids waiting for 46A or 145. Cyclist comes downhill from Stillorgan direction at considerable speed. His priority was to gesticulate wildly at all assembled at the stop to get to hell out of his way so as to facilitate him lashing through. Luckily the kids got out of his way in time.

The core worries here were the ignorance, arrogance, aggression, negligence and attitude of the idiot on 2 wheels.

The ideas of shared space and vulnerabilities are concepts to which the cyclist was obviously a stranger.

I drive, walk, commute by public transport and cycle frequently so I take a rounded view. In my direct experience as a cyclist some of my fellow 2 wheelers are at times more hazardous to me than cars such is the poverty of their road craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Certainly.

Bus stop beside Foxrock Church going south. Lots of school kids waiting for 46A or 145. Cyclist comes downhill from Stillorgan direction at considerable speed. His priority was to gesticulate wildly at all assembled at the stop to get to hell out of his way so as to facilitate him lashing through. Luckily the kids got out of his way in time.

The core worries here were the ignorance, arrogance, aggression, negligence and attitude of the idiot on 2 wheels.

The ideas of shared space and vulnerabilities are concepts to which the cyclist was obviously a stranger.

I drive, walk, commute by public transport and cycle frequently so I take a rounded view. In my direct experience as a cyclist some of my fellow 2 wheelers are at times more hazardous to me than cars such is the poverty of their road craft.

As much as the guy sounds like he could be a wanker, maybe the concept of shared space is the problem here.

If the school children were waiting on the tarmac of the dual carriageway, what would you expect to happen? If someone beeped their horn, would that be arrogant, or a warning of potential danger?

buffalo wrote: »
    As much as the guy sounds like he could be a wanker, maybe the concept of shared space is the problem here.

If the school children were waiting on the tarmac of the dual carriageway, what would you expect to happen? If someone beeped their horn, would that be arrogant, or a warning of potential danger?

Indeed. While you can't excuse the behavior, the conflict shouldn't exist in the first place. I hate shared use paths, the risk is incredible: bus shelters, pedestrian lights, yields at every minor junction or entrance to an estate.

I used to use that section at Foxrock church and it was not fit for purpose. The other side was nearly as bad because kids would hang out behind the bus shelter in your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

In my experience most of the 'nut jobs' are on MTB's/hybrids/Dublin bikes and seem to feel that they have to prove themselves in the vicinity of a Lycra clad road cyclist.

Taking the space in front at the lights is a habit often exhibited by slower cyclists with no awareness of how frustrating it is for those who travel faster.

I actually had an experience of this only this morning. I cycle through the Phoenix Park daily, and took note of one guy around Castleknock who, while I wouldn't jump to 'nut job' as a description, was not someone I would class as a good cyclist either. For example, crossing to the other side of the road and onto the footpath to avoid/break the traffic lights at the gate of the park, and shoaling past at a previous red light to pause in the middle of a junction before breaking it as well. Generally my attitude to this is "Gob****e, but sure pay him no heed", and as often happens I later caught up with him in the park anyway, and overtook him.

Now I know for a fact I kept a constant speed in catching and overtaking him, because it was always the same speed on my Garmin as I passed him, and pulled left again, but lo and behold he obviously got a bit bent out of shape at being passed as he decided he had to up the speed, and then pass me in turn, only to then slow down again as he got past me (again, based on the speed on my Garmin). While some people might call what follows a rush of blood to the head on my part, I got fed up at this point, as this guy had already basically been acting the twat, and he was now just getting in my way. However, needless to say I did not resort to violence as in the OP, but instead said "screw this", and just upped my speed to pass him and kept it up to burn him off. Might be small, petty, whatever, but basically once his dicking about started to impact me, I thought it best to get away from him before he raised my blood pressure any higher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sometimes I feel like becoming a nut when morons with too small MTBs filter to the front of the cyclist line at lights only to hold up the entire lot. Its fine, you're slow, don't inflict it on everyone else.

I commute from the south of the city into the centre through rathmines which is a long straight with lights every 200m or so. Play hopscotch with the light breakers in the morning. Not worth your breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I blame Strava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Whatever about anecdotal examples about cyclists; any aggressive cyclists are total morons. They perpetuate the issue between cyclists and other road users which is increasingly noticeable. It's a pity we can't have:

1) Proper infrastructure for cycling in Irish cities.
    2) Some patience with a dash of sharing is caring attitude until #1 exists.

90% of problems posted on boards are to do with crap infrastructure (see above examples re: shared paths, people waiting for buses and cyclists are meant to navigate through a bunch of school children who we can only assume are somewhat erratic due to the fact they are children). Like aggressive cyclists, half-baked hare-brained cycle lanes also create issues because people don't understand why cyclists 'can't just use the bloody cycle lane our 'road' tax has paid for'.

Advertisement