Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent reel for mackerel fishing from pier

• 15-08-2016 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent reel for mackerel fishing from the peer?

I have a rod and reel combo I bought at a fishing shop before but the reel is beginning to fall apart. I think the gears are gone inside because the reel can be reversed even when it's locked at some positions :D

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

You dont need anything fancy. For years i used a big reel that i got from Lidl for 20 quid. As long as you rince it in fresh water after use & oil it occasionally it should last a few years at least.

best bet is to head into one of the many fishing shops in Dublin. Id recommend south side angling, but Rory's or Henrys are also decent.
    Tell the lads your budget and ask them for advice. if its for a bit of fun now and again, id say dont spend more than 50 quid. if its a little more serious hobby with weekly or daily use, it would be worth paying a little more and taking the guys advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I picked up a Jarvis Walking Fishunter Ultimate 6000 from the fishing shop in Tallaght near Woodies for €50

Feels smooth and it's a 3 bearing setup.

https://www.jarviswalker.com.au/jarvis-walker-fishunter-ultimate-spinning-reels.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

shietpilot wrote: »
    I picked up a Jarvis Walking Fishunter Ultimate 6000 from the fishing shop in Tallaght near Woodies for €50
    A 6000! Good grief - we're talking about mackerel, not shark. I use a 2500 for 20lb coalfish, and that makes it more than adequate for a string of mackerel.

My recommendation: use a good make, don't go higher than 3000, use 10lb line or braid of around that diameter (anything smaller tangles too easily). Here are three reels I can definitely vouch for:
    • Shimano Exage 2500 FD - terrific, light reel
    • Shimao Aernos 2500FB - again a great, light reel - caught a load of big haddock on this
    • Daiwa Ninja 2500 A - light and strong - I caught over 20 big coalfish (15-25lbs) on one of these in an afternoon

Combine one of these with Berkley Whiplash braid - the 30lb is 0.1mm so you definitely don't want anything thinner than that!

Advertisement