Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apcoa fine for Tax Disc Expired

• 15-08-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests, was parking round Douglas in Cork the weekend for 20 mins, paid my parking ticket and off I went. I returned to a 60 euro fine for my "tax disc expired", I had actually paid for the tax online that morning thou, I've requested a receipt from the tax office now.

Can I appeal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

As the title suggests, was parking round Douglas in Cork the weekend for 20 mins, paid my parking ticket and off I went. I returned to a 60 euro fine for my "tax disc expired", I had actually paid for the tax online that morning thou, I've requested a receipt from the tax office now.

Can I appeal?

APCOA can't fine you for an expired tax disc, they're a private company.

Chance bags.bin it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Waste of time . You would have been the disc by hand if all the docs were in order.
    Not display is offence. No grounds of appeal. They photograph the blank windscreen as well

Waste of time . You would have been the disc by hand if all the docs were in order.
    Not display is offence. No grounds of appeal. They photograph the blank windscreen as well

Its a fine from a private company ,
    no need to pay it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

D3V!L wrote: »

Can I appeal?

APCOA can't fine you for an expired tax disc, they're a private company.

Presumably they can if the relevant authority has appointed them to do so.
    Non display. Just pay it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I didn't know that they could do this, I actually doubt they can. Unless contracted by local authority, but I wouldn't be rushing to pay it. Don't mind the people telling you it's your fault and pay it, make sure you have a legal obligation first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Can I appeal?

Does the fine mention APCOA on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Wouldn't pay that. Are they going to take you to court for 60 euro? Absolute chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The fine on the spot is issued by the local authority, for whom Apcoa are acting as enforcement agents. They do parking enforcement for Fingal and Cork county councils and they used to do Dun Laoghaire as well so if there was an opportunity to challenge the legal basis for this operation, somebody would have done it by now.

If you don't pay the ticket, the local authority will summons you to the District Court, the Apcoa employee will give evidence and you will be fined roughly double the amount on the ticket plus the council will ask for and get roughly €80 in 'expenses'.

Paying for the tax disc and displaying it are two separate offences so technically it counts for nothing even if you can show that you paid the tax that morning as the OP is suggesting. There is an unofficial 10 days 'grace' at the beginning of each month during which Gardai and traffic wardens typically overlook recently expired tax discs, that period expired last Wednesday August 10th so if you were caught at the weekend, you have no excuse.

Pay the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The offence said tax disc expired, I've paid my tax, why on earth would I pay fine stating I haven't paid my tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Main issue here is that with Apcoa being traffic wardens for the council gives them powers to demand your name and address and it becomes an offence not to supply it to them so they could be putting a clamp on your car in their assigned area and asking these details...
    Traffic wardens can request or demand your name and address. They are obliged to carry identification with them and to identify themselves as traffic wardens. Failure to give your name and address on demand is also an offence and you may be liable on a summary conviction to a fine.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/traffic_wardens_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

The offence said tax disc expired, I've paid my tax, why on earth would I pay fine stating I haven't paid my tax

Alas, you are not being fined for not paying. The fine is for not having a disc on display. Granted it sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There are two, distinct offenses:

- Not having paid motor tax.

- Not displaying a valid tax disc.

You are guilty of the latter, clear of the former. I agree, its nonsense and we should all be paperless by now, but you have actually broken the law here. If the Apcoa agent is working on behalf of a Council, you do have to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

emo72 wrote: »
    Wouldn't pay that. Are they going to take you to court for 60 euro? Absolute chancers.

I got taken to court for not paying a 40 Euro fine by kildare county council for my parking ticket expired. They had about 20 of us in on the one morning.

Ended up fined 250 in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I would go to court showing tax was paid on the date just waiting on the disc to arrive.
    Be surprised if it wasn't dismissed to be honest.
    Reminds me of years ago when you had to bring in the old disc to the tax office when getting your tax renewed. We had a smart traffic warden who would wait until people went into the office and then doing them for non display of tax.
    Crazy set up but thrown out in court.

Header on the fine says Cork County Council, and Apcoa mentioned further down the fine alright.

Gonna appeal either way.

You can't get a ticket for 'tax disc expired' because if you had no disc on the windscreeen, it's not possible to tell if you have paid or not - that's why they created the separate offence (S.73 Finance Act 1976) of not displaying a current disc.....

73.—(1) Where a vehicle to which this Part applies is used, parked or otherwise kept at any time in a public place, if while the vehicle is being so used, parked or kept there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in accordance with section 5 (5) of the Act of 1920 a licence which is both issued in respect of the vehicle and is for the time being in force, then the person by whom the vehicle is so used, parked or kept at the time shall be guilty of an offence

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/16/section/73/enacted/en/html#sec73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

coylemj wrote: »
    You can't get a ticket for 'tax disc expired' because if you had no disc on the windscreeen, it's not possible to tell if you have paid or not - that's why they created the separate offence (Finance Act 1976) of not displaying a current disc.
    I'd work off what is written on the ticket. If they've written tax disc expired I'd challenge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Non display. Just pay it!
    Pay the fine.

Ohhhh don't ya just love that feeling you get from laying down the law on some random hapless boards poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd say if you were to contact the Council , the fine would be struck out.

Don't ignore it though. APCOA are filling the role of official wardens here and you have committed an offense by not having a valid tax disc on display

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How long was the tax disc expired?

Ohhhh don't ya just love that feeling you get from laying down the law on some random hapless boards poster!

Not laying down the law on anyone, just trying to counter the reckless and ill-informed advice that he should not pay it which will lead to this ..
    bmwguy wrote: »
    I got taken to court for not paying a 40 Euro fine by kildare county council for my parking ticket expired. They had about 20 of us in on the one morning.

Ended up fined 250 in court.

OP parked a car in a public place with no valid tax disc on the windscreen more than 10 days after the grace period, he has no basis for an appeal and should pay the fine or he will end up getting stiffed for a couple of hundred like the poster above.

Sam Kade wrote: »

What does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

OP parked a car in a public place with no valid tax disc on the windscreen more than 10 days after the grace period, he has no basis for an appeal and should pay the fine or he will end up getting stiffed for a couple of hundred like the poster above.
    But that's not what his fine says (assuming what he has quoted previously is correct). There are two offences; he's not guilty of one and he's not being fined for the other. He's being fined for an offence which doesn't exist.
    At least that's how it appears to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sundodger5 wrote: »
    I would go to court showing tax was paid on the date just waiting on the disc to arrive.
    Reminds me of years ago when you had to bring in the old disc to the tax office when getting your tax renewed. We had a smart traffic warden who would wait until people went into the office and then doing them for non display of tax.

How much is it going to cost the OP, in holiday time and travel expenses, to fight a €60 fine which they are guilty off? They where fined for an expired tax disc/non display of valid disc and since they didn't have a valid tax disc on display there's not much grounds for appeal.

Not laying down the law on anyone, just trying to counter the reckless and ill-informed advice that he should not pay it which will lead to this ..

There is no grace period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just go into the Traffic fines desk in the County Council office and show them proof that the car is taxed and it will most likely be struck out. Yes I know not displaying a current valid tax disc is not the same offense as not having tax but guess what, this is Ireland where there are some silly laws in place where common sense doesn't really come into it until you go through the appeal process.

Ignoring it doesn't mean it will just go away, it will just snowball into a court summons/appearance where you end up spending half or all the day waiting for your case to come up before the judge. The courts in this country are congested enough as it is with pointless summons and cases so why waste your own and a judges time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

How much is it going to cost the OP, in holiday time and travel expenses, to fight a €60 fine which they are guilty off? They where fined for an expired tax disc/non display of valid disc and since they didn't have a valid tax disc on display there's not much grounds for appeal.

Technically you are correct, however judges usually use common sense and will deal with it in a common sense way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I had actually paid for the tax online that morning thou, I've requested a receipt from the tax office now.

Can I appeal?

Ye, once you get proof of payment detailing that you had paid before being fined you should appeal it and it will be cancelled.

Here's the procedure if it was a Garda that had fined you, as you're dealing with Cork County Council you'll have to contact them. (I always save the online payment confirmation onto the computer if paying online for exactly this reason)
    Cancellation requests fall into two categories. Category A covers mainly procedural issues. Category B relate to cancellations based on exceptional circumstances e.g. .
    Category A
    Cancellation requests falling within this category include –
    1. Where there is a detection issue / material error in relation to the alleged offence as outlined on the FCN e.g. incorrect speed limit.
    2. Seat Belt Exemption – Where the recipient is exempt from the wearing of a seat belt e.g. is the holder of a Medical Certificate of Exemption from Compulsory Safety Belt/Child Restraint System Wearing
    3. Where the recipient of the FCN has a statutory exemption in relation to the offence alleged on the FCN.
    4. In relation to an FCN for non-display of motor tax or insurance disc, motor tax had been taken out or applied for, or in the case of the non display of an insurance disc motor insurance was in place, at the time of the alleged offence.
    5. Where the FCN was issued to the registered owner for an offence allegedly committed while the vehicle was stolen
    6. Where there is an issue with the vehicle registered owner details e.g. vehicle had been sold or scrapped
    7. If the recipient of the FCN is, on the date of the alleged offence, under 18 years of age, he / she is admitted to a diversion programme as provided for in Part 4 of the Children Act 2001.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What does that matter?
    It matters a lot if it's out a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

sundodger5 wrote: »

Complete rubbish. I've never heard of bringing the old tax disc to renew your tax, unless you're talking about the early 70s and earlier. I do remember the list required prior to online/postal renewal. Tax book, renewal notice, insurance cert (not disc when discs arrived) and of course the required fee. Bring a flask and sandwiches in preparation for the long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It doesn't matter a jot, the car is taxed.

Who's to say my car wasn't up in the bedroom for the period it was untaxed?

jca wrote: »
    Complete rubbish. I've never heard of bringing the old tax disc to renew your tax, unless you're talking about the early 70s and earlier. I do remember the list required prior to online/postal renewal. Tax book, renewal notice, insurance cert (not disc when discs arrived) and of course the required fee. Bring a flask and sandwiches in preparation for the long wait.

+1 you never needed to bring the old disc into the motor tax office to get a renewal. If you did, it would also have been required to send it off to your county council with a renewal done by post which would have left you with no disc for several days.

And if people got stung by traffic wardens for no tax when they parked outside the tax office, it was because their tax disc had expired which is why they were there in the first place. It was not because they had to bring the old disc in with them.

shouldn't need it spelt out, but it would be looked at more favourably if the tax was just out than if it had been out for months.

• Advertisement

My tax wasn't out at all was fully paid for

How do they now have a database to check this ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Kade viewpost.gif
    What does that matter?

Really, that long?

route66 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Kade viewpost.gif

Really, that long?

6 weeks, I don't see the relevance to the thread thou, I've paid any arrears I owe and the car was taxed for a year when I received a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do they now have a database to check this ****

They do have a database linked to ANPR. But the OP wasn't fined for no tax they where fined for non display of a valid tax disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

6 weeks, I don't see the relevance to the thread thou, I've paid any arrears I owe and the car was taxed for a year when I received a ticket.

As already suggested, bring your proof of payment to the council / Gardai and explain the situation. You know it was taxed at the time of the ticket but the person giving the ticket had no way of knowing that.

as long as you have a proof of payment in the form of the receipt or confirmation that shows your payment made before the time printed on your ticket you'll be fine.

I always thought you had three days to bring your up-to-date tax disk to the local garda station to show that you had bought it but it was in the mail at the time of check or stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

My tax wasn't out at all was fully paid for

The offence is for non-display of valid tax disc. If it wasn't displayed, despite being in date or you were displaying the old one then you haven't a leg to stand on in court. The wardens usually take pictures of offences as proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless I am reading all this wrong.

You were not ticketed for not having tax. You were ticketed for not displaying a valid tax disc on your vehicle. They are two different offenses. The person issuing the ticket may not have the ability to check there and then if your car was actually taxed or not, they could only go on the tax disc displayed in the window which I presume was the old expired disc.

Anyway as I said earlier, go into your local county council office and show them that the car was taxed and they will most likely strike out the ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Its a fine from a private company ,
    no need to pay it

Such a stupid comment. Do you really think a private company pays employees to issue fines for traffic breaches and the people that employ that private company cannot prosecute unpaid fines? This case council would be complaint and employee would be witness called to give evidence and photographic evidence if applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=13233

Not sure if it's mentioned in this page, but there's a form that you can download and fill out to appeal the fine.

It says a bit about how you can appeal the fine for non display if the tax is actually paid for, down towards the bottom of the page.

Advertisement