Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip - Glen Easton Pyrite?

Options
  • 15-08-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hello,

I was at a house viewing in the Glen Easton estate in Leixlip recently and the estate agent mentioned that pyrite had been a particular problem in the estate.
    It looked like this one was affected and the house was subsequently withdrawn until its confirmed.
    There are a number of other houses listed there but the prices don't seem to factor the risk of pyrite. And the price register suggests there isn't a problem selling them.
    I've found one online reference to remedial works being carried out to a house there years ago but other than that I can't find much more info.

Would anyone know the history of the estate? Are the issues limited to one phase or certain areas within the estate?

thanks,

Reg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

used to live in glen easton, still live in leixlip. Have never heard of pyrite issues with glen easton. the prices seem to hold fairly well and houses are easy to move up there. I would obviously have it checked, but I have never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Haven't heard of it in glen easton in particular but a lot of the estates from north Kildare were affected. Our surveyor said that it's not even just estates, extensions etc were affected. You need to insist on proof of remedial works and a green cert that the house is pyrite free. Im buying in a pyrite estate but we and our structural surveyor are happy that it has been completely remedied and approved. TBH I wouldn't bid/buy a house in an estate where issues have occurred unless it has been certed pyrite free on an official check of the foundations or the foundations have been replaced.

We're buying in the same area and found that none of the houses in leixlip or Maynooth had sufficient value built in for any sort of work required. The price was lower but never low enough to justify the money you would spend to put it the way you would get with a better house

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Living sixteen years in Leixlip and hadn't heard of it.
    However...
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=57921&p=689055

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah. Friend of the family had his house fixed there a few months back. As did a few of his neighbours. All in Glen Easton.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

thanks everyone. It does look like there is a problem with it and it's not confined to any one road. It looks to be spread throughout and fairly random.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Having been through the ringer with the EA and Vendor this week here's what you need:

-If bidding or considering bidding in an estate with pyrite you need to look for a Green cert.
    This is a cert that results from testing the slab for pyrite. There are three potential results. Green-no pyrite found. Amber-potential pyrite, requires monitoring (worst case scenario, I would run away at speed). Red-Pyrite found and remedy required asap.

-If bidding on a house that had a red cert you need to request form I.S. 398-2 which is the confirmation that the works have been completed and the pyrite is completely remedied. if this is not forthcoming I would run away, the bank won't mortgage it. Both our structural surveyor and the bank valuer said certification of works is required before a mortgage could be granted

If they haven't/won't run the test on a house in a pyrite area then I would run away at speed because they likely have suspicions there is pyrite and just don't want to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BTW, the house that the family friend lives in was fixed for free; the builders came in, took photos (to ensure it was put back correctly), boxed everything up, took out the floor, etc, put in new material, put back everything as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Some houses are affected by Pyrite in Glen Easton.

Advertisement