Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difference between BMW 1 series

• 15-08-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Clearly I know very little about cars, and even less about BMW. I am looking for a small, low tax/fuel car and I like the look of the BMW 1 series I see around. I want something about the size of a Golf/Auris, a Fiesta/Polo size is too small.
    What is the BMW equivalent, please? Or more broadly, what are the differences between the 114, 116 and 118- they all look very similar appearance-wise, but then I haven't seen them side-by-side....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

114 116 etc would refer to different engines or power outputs. because the 1 series is rear wheel drive it has less room in the back than the other cars you mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

They are not as highly rated in their class like the 3 series or 5 series although they are nice to drive, have a look but don't pay much more than the equivalent golf. If you do get a golf don't get the 1.4 it's very underpowered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What kind of year and budget are you considering?

1 series all share the same body shell, albeit some are 2 door, some are 4. The numbers refer to different power outputs from the engine.

First generation 1 series, while nice to drive, are not great cars, cramped, cheap interiors and not that reliable.

Golf/Focus would be a better bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    114 116 etc would refer to different engines or power outputs. because the 1 series is rear wheel drive it has less room in the back than the other cars you mention.

Ok, so is it possible that the 114 / 116 are slightly smaller than the 118 (it looks a bit bigger)- or are they just "older" (I have only seen 2013 and older regs for those 2 models- while any 118 I have seen are all 2013 and newer)

Thanks BMWguy. Any of the 1 series I have seen are slightly pricey, so I may revert back yet...

What kind of year and budget are you considering?

1 series all share the same body shell, albeit some are 2 door, some are 4. The numbers refer to different power outputs from the engine.

First generation 1 series, while nice to drive, are not great cars, cramped, cheap interiors and not that reliable.

Golf/Focus would be a better bet.

Between 2011 and 2013, and would be need a 4 door. Cramped is not good- need a reasonable amount of space, inc height (hence Fiesta too small)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

If you have kids don't discount an estate, most hatchbacks run out of boot space real quick.

Focus really is hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unless you want the novelty of rear wheel drive or the 'presige ' of owning a BMW, If your needs are more practical then there are a raft of better options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    unless you want the novelty of rear wheel drive or the 'prestige ' cost of owning a BMW, If your needs are more practical then there are a raft of better options out there.

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ok, so is it possible that the 114 / 116 are slightly smaller than the 118 (it looks a bit bigger)- or are they just "older" (I have only seen 2013 and older regs for those 2 models- while any 118 I have seen are all 2013 and newer)

Thanks BMWguy. Any of the 1 series I have seen are slightly pricey, so I may revert back yet...

A 114d/116d/118d/120d etc would all physically be the same size unless you are talking about 3 door v 5 door. Most of the ones sold here are pretty poorly speced and they don't have alot of room inside. Something from the non premium brands would offer more space and better levels of standard equipment for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

See BMW do some things very well, they have produced 3 5 and 7 series for a long time and they got a good reputation. This good reputation allowed them to charge premium prices and this allowed them to produce high quality machines.

Then they, along with everyone else, diversified into every car segment and the 1 series is their cheapest model and was to tempt people out of vw golf and the like but are obviously a lot cheaper than their traditional bigger saloons.

They wear the same badge as the prestigious saloons but aren't really the same quality.

It will be nice to drive though once it's a decent engine. Look for a 120d if you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

rented a 1-series in Germany a while ago, on hols, for 2 parents + 2 kids + luggage. Too small. Plasticky inside.

I'd prefer a Focus tbh. Or a KIA/Hyundai

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks all. That was enough to put me off! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks all. That was enough to put me off! :D:D

Try an Audi A3.
    People will say it's the same as a golf except more expensive but imo although it's the same underneath, the fit and finish and general appearance are far ahead.

Advertisement