Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hiking/scenery in Ireland (without a car)?

Options
  • 15-08-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking to do some hiking - the more adventurous kind. Climbing and wild camping around Carrantuohill would be great, but I don't have a car and can't get there. Mount Errigal looks amazing as well.

Would anyone have some tips on similar places one can reach by public transport? Or if you know of a way to get to these places without a car? I've done the Wicklow mountains in Dublin and they were great - but wouldn't mind more remote/unwelcoming terrain.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Skywards55 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to do some hiking - the more adventurous kind. Climbing and wild camping around Carrantuohill would be great, but I don't have a car and can't get there. Mount Errigal looks amazing as well.

Would anyone have some tips on similar places one can reach by public transport? Or if you know of a way to get to these places without a car? I've done the Wicklow mountains in Dublin and they were great - but wouldn't mind more remote/unwelcoming terrain.

Thanks a million!

1. Train to Westport and you're close to pretty spectacular county. Achill, Nephin, Ben Gorm, Mweelrea...
    2. Train to Galway and bus to Clifden. Lovely wild Connemara. Twelve Bens, Maumturks...
    3. Train to Tralee and bus to Dingle. Brandon...
    4. Train to Killarney. Bus to Kenmare. Get off along the way and you're in the middle of wild Kerry.
    5. Train to Newry and bus to Newcastle. The Mourne mountains are easily accessible from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Skywards55 wrote: »
    I've done the Wicklow mountains in Dublin and they were great - but wouldn't mind more remote/unwelcoming terrain.

What of the Wicklow mountains have you done? Some of them are pretty remote / rough / unwelcoming in my book :)

Advertisement