Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M7 Average speed cameras

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Veloce wrote: »
    Are there any other indications to say if penalties are being enforced (or not enforced) on this section of the M7?

Only that article somebody posted a while back and the 'unconfirmed' answers Kaiser got when he rang.

Kildare co co really must have the answer but the person i got when i rang just fobbed me off.

If anyone wants to know for 100% sure I'd suggest ringing Kildare co co and just hope you get someone in a more helpful mood than the person i got talking to
    :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

novarock wrote: »
    I remember the announcement in May, but I've only spotted the cameras on the motorways in the last few weeks.. I wonder what the upper tolerance level will be :/?
    An obscene waste of public money putting GoSafe vans on motorways. The only thing they are likely to achieve is a crash caused by someone standing on the brakes when they see one.

There's a new zone outside Killarney on the N72 which is 100km/h in an area where traffic moves in bunches of 4/5 and someone always has to brake to 60km/h "just to be sure". It's going to cause a pile up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

See thy have dropped up similar speed camera signs going southbound yesterday. Didn't actually see any of the cameras so maybe they are sticking the signage up first to use as a deterrent.

Would be great to see actual work going on - feels an age since I have seen anything going about on the side of the roads there!

racersedge wrote: »
    See thy have dropped up similar speed camera signs going southbound yesterday. Didn't actually see any of the cameras so maybe they are sticking the signage up first to use as a deterrent.

Yeah I didn't see any cameras either. Suppose they're next.

Northbound this morning was interesting, I went earlier than usual and passed through there at 6.30 am and the difference was massive, got over-taken by several vehicles (one was a truck) doing at least 100km, possibly 120.
    Not giving a fiddlers damn about the limit/cameras.
    Whereas at 7am-ish there's loads jamming on the brakes or just sticking at 50 the entire way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Would be great to see actual work going on - feels an age since I have seen anything going about on the side of the roads there!
    The southbound signs seem to have been up since last week. I was checking too to see if any cameras were installed but nothing so far. It might be just a matter of time as the poster above me said. They might have them in place once all the schools reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Is it me or have they taken down the cameras going northbound? Could have been tiredness kicking in but I didn't see them at all. Hard to miss being yellow and all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Is it me or have they taken down the cameras going northbound? Could have been tiredness kicking in but I didn't see them at all. Hard to miss being yellow and all..

I drove through at about 8pm last night and couldn't see them at all either. I still stuck to 60 all the way though, as painful as it was. They might be swapping them over to the southbound side as there have been signs put up there recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I drove through at about 8pm last night and couldn't see them at all either. I still stuck to 60 all the way though, as painful as it was. They might be swapping them over to the southbound side as there have been signs put up there recently.

They were there on Wednesday, northbound immediately behind the large overhanging electronic display notice screen, second set of cameras about 400 meters further on just behind large static sign for Junction 10, just prior to the junction where two lanes split to three lanes.

They might be swapping them over to the southbound side as there have been signs put up there recently.

Poor basstids only being able to afford the one set of cameras between the 2 roads
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

I went south bound on friday and seen the signs but no camera's and then came northbound Sunday and once again seen the signs but no cameras. very very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

It's a con.

If there are are cameras there, most regular users of that stretch will have lost their license when all the fines are processed, putting around 15 or 16 thousand motorists off the road, most of these motorists travel to the city to work in the banking and IT sector.

This will result in a collapse in these two sectors plunging our country back into the dark days of post 2008, there will be a general election before the summer of 2017.

Sinn Fein will win by a landslide and immediately declare war on 'the main land' , post Brexit Britain by now on its knees and feeling the pain of being exiled from Europe is powerless to defend herself.

In early 2018 Gerry Adams will declare that the British Isles are now the Irish Isles, Barclays will step in as sponsors of the GAA All Irish Isles Series and The Gooch cooper will become the first 10 million punt (yeah that happened too) player signing for Lanchashire county.... And all because some ejit in KCC came up with the this idea.

Sure it'll be a bit of craic anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

tossy wrote: »
    It's a con.

If there are are cameras there, most regular users of that stretch will have lost their license when all the fines are processed, putting around 15 or 16 thousand motorists off the road, most of these motorists travel to the city to work in the banking and IT sector.

This will result in a collapse in these two sectors plunging our country back into the dark days of post 2008, there will be a general election before the summer of 2017.

Sinn Fein will win by a landslide and immediately declare war on 'the main land' , post Brexit Britain by now on its knees and feeling the pain of being exiled from Europe is powerless to defend herself.

In early 2018 Gerry Adams will declare that the British Isles are now the Irish Isles, Barclays will step in as sponsors of the GAA All Irish Isles Series and The Gooch cooper will become the first 10 million punt (yeah that happened too) player signing for Lanchashire county.... And all because some ejit in KCC came up with the this idea.

well that escalated quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

tossy wrote: »
    It's a con.

Or perhaps the article posted earlier quoting KCC as saying that they're trialing the equipment is true?

Your idea is a lot more interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Clearlier wrote: »
    Or perhaps the article posted earlier quoting KCC as saying that they're trialing the equipment is true?

Your idea is a lot more interesting though.

I was auditioning for a writing gig with Kildare now, i think i was at their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

first supporting pole is in place south bound now, just after the first flyover of junction 10.
    no cameras in place so far.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

rameire wrote: »
    first supporting pole is in place south bound now, just after the first flyover of junction 10.

Don't worry, autumn will be here very soon. There'll be many a leaf on the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Passed Southbound there yesterday and it was a bit of a joke. I was cruising at 60km/h with very little obeying the signs, most were overtaking me.

Got to the 120km/h section and I overtook a good lot who were seemingly in a rush a few minutes back. These must be the people who drive at the one speed no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

tossy, that deserves post of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Passed Southbound there yesterday and it was a bit of a joke. I was cruising at 60km/h with very little obeying the signs, most were overtaking me.

Got to the 120km/h section and I overtook a good lot who were seemingly in a rush a few minutes back. These must be the people who drive at the one speed no matter what.

Good point, it is puzzling at the number of drivers who will break lower speed limits but drive below upper speed limits.

The number of times I have been overtaken in a 100 kph zone only for me to overtake them in a 120 kph zone, with me driving at the 120 kph limit! Bizarre !

On another point, what is the speed allowance? 124 kph and the Gardai will ignore it or 126 kph and they won't ignore it? Anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ABC101 wrote: »

On another point, what is the speed allowance? 124 kph and the Gardai will ignore it or 126 kph and they won't ignore it? Anybody know?

Any answer to this question is pure hearsay. The only one we can say for sure, and mikeecho is the poster to answer, is that of GoSafe. I believe for GoSafe it was 6km/h, its now 3km/h [mikeecho and others can confirm that] Bearing in mind that your speed is likely off by 5~10%, hence to be caught 3km/h over the limit, your car would be telling you you were 8 to 10km/h over the limit.

Average speed camera, the tolerance should be pretty low in my opinion. Its an average, hence you have to spend more than 50% of your time above the speed limit in a given area. If you can't do this, you deserve it. Of course, few people understand this concept anyway. Nor would many cop that if you do accidentally (or purposefully) speed through the first set of cameras, you can just pull in for a few mins on the hard shoulder (You see this in Portugal for example on tolls that issue fines) The camera can't measure your speed, is the time it takes you plate to get between them. Go as fast as you want, just don't pass the second set within the time frame. Its actually a pretty fair system i.e. Don't want a fine? Just stop.

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »

they're certainly there now though, in all their glory.
    Most don't seem arsed at all though.

It's a strange situation, people flying through at hefty speeds on the right lane and people crawling along like Miss Daisy on the left lane.

The Northbound ones seemed to be adhered to a bit better for whatever reason.

Assuming it's just a trial like promised then I don't know what the hell they're going to learn from it but at least there are people working there now.
    Getting slowed to a snails pace when nobody was working there was pretty annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm an American immigrant who's had my N plates for a few months now, and I live in the West where there are no motorways local to me, but the same issue happens here when there is work on the roads, that is, slow temporary speed limits for an unnecessarily long distance even after the work has been completed and there are no workmen out. Because I don't want to come to the attention of the gardai before I apply for citizenship, I am careful to strictly obey the posted speed limits, but I clearly ruin the day of anyone driving behind me who is unable to read Arabic numerals with a red circle around them, which is just about everyone. Is there some safe strategy I should be using other than to wave genially at the scofflaws as they overtake me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm an American immigrant who's had my N plates for a few months now, and I live in the West where there are no motorways local to me, but the same issue happens here when there is work on the roads, that is, slow temporary speed limits for an unnecessarily long distance even after the work has been completed and there are no workmen out. Because I don't want to come to the attention of the gardai before I apply for citizenship, I am careful to strictly obey the posted speed limits, but I clearly ruin the day of anyone driving behind me who is unable to read Arabic numerals with a red circle around them, which is just about everyone. Is there some safe strategy I should be using other than to wave genially at the scofflaws as they overtake me?

I behave the same as you and I'm a native here. Ignore the ignorant (stupid/unobservant) ones (sounds like a contradiction!). Follow the rules of the road and you shant be punished. I find those that those who flaunt the rules of the road are ruining my day by being such imbeciles. Those who break the law are ruining the day for those who follow the rules, not the other way round. If you feel that it's ok to flaunt the rules, hand back your licence.

highdef wrote: »
    I behave the same as you and I'm a native here. Ignore the ignorant (stupid/unobservant) ones (sounds like a contradiction!). Follow the rules of the road and you shant be punished. I find those that those who flaunt the rules of the road are ruining my day by being such imbeciles. Those who break the law are ruining the day for those who follow the rules, not the other way round. If you feel that it's ok to flaunt the rules, hand back your licence.

Heh, I'm from Texas, where it is well known that the police don't bother with you so long as you are going the same speed as everyone else and/or not over 10mph over posted speed limits. I haven't had a speeding ticket in twenty years and I'm not about to start now. :)

You could stay in the left lane and obey the speed limit.
    Waving at "scofflaws" is not compulsory.

You'll find that everyone can read the numerals.

Have a nice day now.

You could stay in the left lane and obey the speed limit.
    Waving at "scofflaws" is not compulsory.

You'll find that everyone can read the numerals.

Have a nice day now.

When your sense of humor gets back from the pub, tell it I said hello.

When your sense of humor gets back from the pub, tell it I said hello.

Thought I handled it well personally, I just wanted to say "have a nice day Ya'll" at the end, but I couldn't bring myself to do the "ya'll" bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

guil wrote: »

...closed at night from 6th until the 24th of October......

Ya gotta love them. When I rang a couple weeks ago they told me it would be finished by the end of September :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Until the 24th of October......

Ya gotta love them. When I rang a couple weeks ago they told me it would be finished by the end of September :D

Doesn't start until the 6th October and it's further on past the current roadworks.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Doesn't start until the 6th October and it's further on past the current roadworks.

Aye, In fairness it's a good thing anyway if it speeds up progress a bit rather than it dragging on much longer.
    Re-opens at 6am weekdays so hopefully shouldn't interfere with too many in the mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Anyone else see what looks like new cameras eastbound on the N4. There seems to be a set before the Dodsboro exit.

Advertisement