Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building regulations - certificate of compliance

• 15-08-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi

I have an engineer providing supervision and cetification for my extension.
    At the end do I get one overall certificate or a certificate for each stage ie foundation, floor level, wall plates etc?
    What is required for selling house legally? Anything else I need to be provided with?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi

I have an engineer providing supervision and cetification for my extension.
    At the end do I get one overall certificate or a certificate for each stage ie foundation, floor level, wall plates etc?
    What is required for selling house legally? Anything else I need to be provided with?
    Thanks in advance.

"supervision" ????

how many times will the engineer be visiting the site? because a supervisory role would require an almost daily visit.

the certificate that is provided to show compliance is at the end... however if you are funding by mortgage the each stage payment will be authorised by the engineer by means of a prescribed form from your bank. This amounts to an interm certificate as it states that " all work to date complies with planning and b regs"

if no mortgage, then youd only receive the final certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

sydthebeat wrote: »
    "supervision" ????

how many times will the engineer be visiting the site? because a supervisory role would require an almost daily visit.

the certificate that is provided to show compliance is at the end... however if you are funding by mortgage the each stage payment will be authorised by the engineer by means of a prescribed form from your bank. This amounts to an interm certificate as it states that " all work to date complies with planning and b regs"

if no mortgage, then youd only receive the final certificate.

Yeah supervision is limited a rare visit but i suppose he and the contractor are liaising with each other on it.
    This is only a small extension so probably easy for him and no bank forms.
    So you're saying i will only need a final certificate then?
    Will the cert list all the stages complete on it, presume headed paper with company details?
    What other information is typically on these certs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It will only be on opinion on compliance with Building Regulations (and Planning).
    There is a set wording but nothing in the way of detail other than 'having inspected the property, it is his opinion that the property is constructed in accordance with Building Regulations'. The Engineer will have to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance to do that work.
    It is not a report or survey on the condition of the works. After all, in most cases, the Engineer does not get to pick the trades people so can have little input into the standard of the works.
    Too often, people employ the cheapest tradesmen for every aspect of the job and then look towards the Engineer when its a balls up half way through.
    Personally, knowing my local area pretty well, if I hear clients going for the really cheap block layers and having a small budget that they are sure will finish the job, I make my excuses and run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

I know its only an opinion on compliance but they are professionals and obviously with an engineer on board the job will be done right? My engineer has indemnity insurance.
    I have drawing so the engineer is making sure they're followed.
    All im really concerned about is that i have the right legal documents if i decided to sell my property down the line
    Ps i went with a middle quote fir my build and on a few recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know its only an opinion on compliance but they are professionals and obviously with an engineer on board the job will be done right? My engineer has indemnity insurance.
    I have drawing so the engineer is making sure they're followed.
    All im really concerned about is that i have the right legal documents if i decided to sell my property down the line
    Ps i went with a middle quote fir my build and on a few recommendations

Sounds like you are on the right track to be honest.
    The Engineer will surely issue a standard form cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There is no "official compliance form" OP - what there is are various agreed wordings for such certificates.

If you are selling your house it will be the purchaser and his/her solicitor that will decide if they are happy with the "certificate." (Maybe with some possible input from a lending institution.)

If I'm honest I've seen some very wishy washy certificates accepted by purchasers that essentially say "The building complies apart from all the bits of it that don't comply"

Advertisement