Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the lack of interest?

• 15-08-2016 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭

Folks - Would love your opinion on why there is a lack of interest in my 520D M sport.

Its well priced and spec'ed, in excellent condition and priced to sell.

Its advertised on both carzone and adverts and has been for the past week with no interest.

Thoughts ... ?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/2013-bmw-520d-m-sport-f10/11091999

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Because it's a €36000 private sale?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This would turn me off

'No time-wasters or Tyre kickers. First to view seriously will buy.'

always makes a seller sound arrogant imo and I would be reluctant to call with questions.
    Price is also too high for that car (again imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with Pawwed Rig
    'No time-wasters or Tyre kickers. First to view seriously will buy.'
    this means to me that if I view car and decide against buying I'd be considered time waster by you.

For that kind of cash I'd be looking to going with a dealer that will supply some warranty and also do finance.

m2c

OP, if I was investing 36.5k in a car it would not be private. Like Biko, I will want warranty and combacks for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No pictures of the interior, add some of those.

It's a 2013 so still prone to the engine problem, other posters have mentioned warranty as an issue, sell it with warranty then, a lot of garages just resell a car protect policy, offer 12mts warranty with it might set you back 3/400 http://www.carprotect.ie

Wouldn't mention it's UK either, can tell them that when they arrive.

Carzone is probably the place to put it not adverts or done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

OP if you look on adverts for cars over 30,000 there are 17 listing for private sellers of those 5 are not valid, (€100,000 we buy cars, etc) meaning 12 listings over 30k. The market is so small because people just don't want to drop that kind of cash on a private sale. I've no idea is your car priced well or not but that is kind of a small factor in it, the main factor is people spending that much want some security that comes with buying from a dealer so you would need to seriously undercut the price dealers are offering.

Not sure circumstances of sale but if you can, trade it in on a new car rather than trying to sell it outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Not sure circumstances of sale but if you can, trade it in on a new car rather than trying to sell it outright.

If it was Irish car with Irish warranty left on it - that would be slightly different. If it is a private import - even I would not consider it...

Market today, with PCP deals being pushed through every window out there - is a very difficult place to privately sell a car that is more expensive than €15k. One without warranty - impossible. It would have to be priced way below the market level...

OP could try approaching local BMW garage and asking them if they could help with shifting it. F10 seems to be in demand - bazz26 mentioned he was almost molested for his specimen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Price being the main problem but when you are selling at that price you need to make an effort on the ad. Also put it on Donedeal, adverts is a complete waste of time on a car that price.

4 pics, none of inside.
    No mention of any kind of verified service history on the car
    No mention of when it was last serviced
    No picture of service book or manual, spare key etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're basically asking for the same if not more than BMW dealership prices without the 2 year warranty.
    No one will buy this without having a warranty.
    Here's a 132 version although with not as many options for nearly 3k less.

http://www.bmwpremiumselection.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-M/852397593724201854/

Your best best is either get a dealer to take it off you or see if you can purchase an additional warranty from BMW for it and reduce your price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Price and target market are your main problems. 36k is just too much money for a 13 reg 520d M Sport being sold privately and most people spending that sort of money may well be financing which in most cases rules out buying privately.

You will also pay similar money from a main dealer and get a 2 year warranty for peace of mind.

For example:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-M/201314664854293230/
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-M/836845019389904899/
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-M/7687114281781660714/
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-M/1826256583524897565/

You would want to be nuts to pay anywhere near 36k privately when you can get a 2 year warranty with the above cars plus probably negotiate down the asking prices for a straight deal.

Spec wise the stuff listed looks fairly standard M Sport except for maybe the 19" wheels and Sat Nav (optional on the pre LCI model).

All that a side, I just think even if this car was the cheapest 13 reg example it would struggle to sell simply because it is too much money involved for a genuine private buyer to take a chance with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tbh, if I was in the market for a 520 i'd consider it for the electric mirrors alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

10-20k cars are a tough private sell. After that you're having a laugh, waste of time. Especially since anyone who wants to save a few pound by buying private will just go to the UK and bring a similar car in for about 28k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

http://www.joeduffy.ie/bmw/used-cars/13362/bmw-5-series/

You are way overpriced. Joe Duffy above is probably overpriced too and you are well above that.

The only reason really for cars not selling is overpricing. There is a price that that will sell for in a private sale but unfortunately for you I have to say that price is approx. 30k

Other problems like no internal photos and listing silly things like electric mirrors, my 00 Peugeot 206 had them. Use the space to list something relevant to a modern executive machine.

I had a neighbour renting beside me he had a 142 520 m sport it was immaculate but he had to sell it to get deposit to buy the house and clear his loan for mortgage. This was almost 6 months ago and he was looking for 40k for it but it took a long time to sell he dropped asking price to 38k and its gone now. Not sure what exactly he got for it I never asked. He bought a nice e39 for small money then. That car was just over 18 months old, yours is 3.5 years old.

Readjust your price and it will sell, if you need to sell. Nice car but the market is small and everyone can do it on cheaper monthly payments on a pcp on a new car. Looking at f10 myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

s8n wrote: »
    Folks - Would love your opinion on why there is a lack of interest in my 520D M sport.

Its well priced and spec'ed, in excellent condition and priced to sell.

Its advertised on both carzone and adverts and has been for the past week with no interest.

Thoughts ... ?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/2013-bmw-520d-m-sport-f10/11091999

I would say the price is the main reason for lack of interest, no warranty, no mention of service history, UK Import? No internal photos.

Id say your best bet is to sell it direct to a main BMW dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you replacing car? If so check with dealer about trade-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Adverts.ie is not exactly premium car territory, plus price needs to be keener for private sale as said above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Way overpriced for a private sale, and there's still no way in hell I'd buy a car in that price range from private seller.
    If the Irish dealers were asking to much, I'd go to NI or UK and buy one off a dealer there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You can't ask for 36.5k for a car and have no more than 4 photos.
    You need way more pics and more details about the service history.
    But... That is a lot of money to spend with zero comeback.
    Think you might be holding onto that car for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Appreciate all the feedback folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Take a look on the likes of piston heads for a similar car and how they have there adds layed out.you need to get all the relevant info about the car across in a small space.this can be difficult so as many really good pics as ye can to help tell the story will help.as has been said though,your price is a to high for private sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Very few if any private buyers would part with that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

A quick search on Done Deal for 2013 BMD 520D's reveals a whopping 230 models for sale for between €17K and €39K. I'm sure yours is well looked after, with high spec, but you are on the upper end of that price range. If I had €34K to spend, I'd be haggling with one of the main dealers on the last few days of the month when they are hungry to shift units and I'd have the backing of a dealer warranty.

Advertisement