Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners bike

Options
  • 15-08-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've decided I want to start cycling into work. Tallaght to leopardstown, 14km according to google maps.

I've been looking on donedeal and some going as cheap as 100 Euro but figured I'd ask the experts before pulling the trigger.

Don't want to spend big but don't want to buy something unfit fit for purpose either.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Do you have a budget in mind? Tallaght to Leopardstown is relatively flat with decent roads/cycle tracks so hybrids or maybe entry level road bikes would be a good place to start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pop up a few samples of what you've been looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As cheap as possible. I can't link it here for some reason but there is a trek 3500 on donedeal for 120e. 150e is probably the limit of what I want to spend because this kick might only last a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

On a mobile so excuse mistakes punctuation etc...

1. Set a budget. 150 is low but you'll find the odd bike that is still good ti go at 150. It will take a bit of work most likely to bring it up to its best.

2. If you want to go fast as you can then buy a racer. It just is made to move quicker than other bikes.

3. If you're scared or nervous of cycling in traffic then buy a hybrid or an mtb.

4 if you commuting then dress up like a Christmas tree. I find it helps with the nerves.

5. Most important. obey the rules. Hand signals and control the road. Cage drivers like yellow,helmets and indication. At roundabout move bike to middle of lane so car can't come around you.

6. Install strava on your phone if you have smart phone. Keeps a track of your miles and stuff. Nice to keep you motivated

7. Winters coming. If your still at it tool up. Good lights and sine rain gear.

8. Stay safe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe see what rothar (i know there's one in the city centre, not sure about tallaght) have in stock - that way at least you'll get a working bike.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

It's a good idea to try out a fairly cheap bike first, and see how it works for you. If you get the bug (as you probably will), you'll have a much better idea of what you like or don't like when you buy a decent bike on the bike-to-work scheme.

maybe see what rothar (i know there's one in the city centre, not sure about tallaght) have in stock - that way at least you'll get a working bike.

Cheers for this. I'll drop into town this Saturday and see what they have.

Completed my first commute this morning via the pusher. Couple of tough hills had me re-evaluating my choice of transport.

It all came good in the end though and I feel pretty energised sitting at the desk right now. Almost looking forward to the trip home.

Almost...

Hi folks,

Where would people recommend going to get a general service on the bike?

Noticing the breaks squeeking and just thinking I should get it a once over as it was Sat up in a garage for a year+ before I got a loan of it. I'm in tallaght.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Payton

Hi folks,

Where would people recommend going to get a general service on the bike?

Noticing the breaks squeeking and just thinking I should get it a once over as it was Sat up in a garage for a year+ before I got a loan of it. I'm in tallaght.

Cheers

Cycle Super Store on the Airton Road, just off the Greenhills Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Similar question here, I've been taking Dublin Bikes to work recently and I want to now buy my own. I'll be using the bike to work scheme so would be looking at spending maybe 500 or so. I'm going from Drumcondra to Donnybrook. Should I look at a hybrid then? The bike will mostly be for commuting and I might take it for a spin in the Phoenix Park at the weekend.

Payton wrote:
    Cycle Super Store on the Airton Road, just off the Greenhills Road.

Cheers, I was up there a few weeks ago just looking to buy some gear but Christ on a bike they're pricey. They don't seem to have a price list for a service on the website, any idea how much they charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Well done!

Main thing if you're going to cycle 30km a day is to have

a) a bike that fits you, and
    b) a bike that's reasonably light and nice to cycle.

Also, you may need to relearn how to cycle. When we're kids, we cycle with great effort, puffing along and wanting to feel the strain. This isn't good for a long distance :) What you want is to cycle in a low (easy) gear, and keep your legs turning at a steady pace. Much less tiring. And go down into a particularly low gear when you're going up hills.

And you have to find a really nice route for the cycle, so it's a pleasure; for instance, a few years ago I had a nice cycle to work along the Grand Canal - this was before the cycleway was built, so I just sailed along the path beside the canal, which was glorious. As is the cycleway now!

What route are you using? Others here may be able to suggest the nicest (and least hilly to start with) one.

Can you get a bike on the Bike-to-Work scheme? This can mean you pay half price for a decent bicycle. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/cycle_to_work_scheme.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cheers, I was up there a few weeks ago just looking to buy some gear but Christ on a bike they're pricey. They don't seem to have a price list for a service on the website, any idea how much they charge?

Minor servicing like adjusting brakes, cable tension, checking tyre pressures, cleaning moving parts such as the chain are all very easy if you're interested in doing them yourself, and parts are cheap. Youtube is your friend here, with loads of content online. Also means that for many minor mechanicals you might hit on your commute, you know how to fix them yourself on the spot. Once you're buying 2nd hand bikes, knowing the basics of servicing makes sense.

If you don't mind going as far as Harold's Cross, there are two good bike shops for a tune-in: Delaney's on Emmet Bridge, and Life in Motion (453 9293) beside the Hospice. Delaney's has been there for so many yonks that the shop notice says "Raleigh ** Cycles ** Rudge" ;D and Life in Motion is a newish shop with a couple of nice Venezuelan guys running it who go off and fly up and down Kilmashogue on their mountain bikes at weekends. Neither shop will rip you off. Both are expert.

Cheers lads, yeah probably best to know how to do it myself. I'll have a go over the weekend at the brakes, hopefully they still work on my Monday morning commute!

Cheers lads, yeah probably best to know how to do it myself. I'll have a go over the weekend at the brakes, hopefully they still work on my Monday morning commute!

There are courses in bike maintenance in Rothar cafe in Fade Street too - rothar.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Chuchote wrote: »
    There are courses in bike maintenance in Rothar cafe in Fade Street too - rothar.ie

what a brilliant idea. OK, youtube will do the same for you but it's nice to see it being done in person, and you can ask questions etc...while having a coffee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Couple of tough hills had me re-evaluating my choice of transport.
    you'll get used to those in no time. as mentioned above, spin, don't grind (i.e. choose an easier gear where you'll be pedalling faster).

Dara and Len from The Cycle Clinic will carry out free bicycle checks at County Hall, Tallaght from 10am this Thursday (tomorrow) for mobility week.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

Looking for more advice please.

Currently using a mates road bike to commute, he said I could have the bike if I wanted but he's 6'2 and I'm 5'10.

Now that I seem to be used to my commute and my legs no longer feel like jelly after a trip, I'm starting to think the bike is to big for me. My lower back is sore after my return journey most days this week.

So long story short I'm going to get my own bike on the BTW scheme. But I'm strongly considering an Mtb or hybrid, due to the uneven surfaces our Irish roads provide.

Could anyone recommend the best bike/brand for this? My commute is 14K each way, fairly pleasant when there is no head wind. But I need to go up down curbs regularly to stay on the cycle paths provided and just feel the racer is more conducive to a well surfaced Austrian road.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm strongly considering an Mtb or hybrid, due to the uneven surfaces our Irish roads provide...But I need to go up down curbs regularly to stay on the cycle paths provided and just feel the racer is more conducive to a well surfaced Austrian road.
    This is a common set of beliefs amongst new cyclists, but also false.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Could anyone recommend the best bike/brand for this? My commute is 14K each way, fairly pleasant when there is no head wind. But I need to go up down curbs regularly to stay on the cycle paths provided and just feel the racer is more conducive to a well surfaced Austrian road.

Cheers

Road bikes are a lot stonger than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYey3PI3gqM

07Lapierre wrote:
    Road bikes are a lot stonger than you think.

Points taking lads but the thing I'm on was bought 2 years ago and cost him 1K+ and no way it's handling that.

It could be the tyres tho, they're mad skinny? I won't be going over the 1K mark and just fancied having something a bit more all purpose but the above is food for thought.

I know nothing about bikes really, just presumed an MTB or hybrid was the way to go for anything off road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Hi folks,

Looking for more advice please.

Currently using a mates road bike to commute, he said I could have the bike if I wanted but he's 6'2 and I'm 5'10.

Now that I seem to be used to my commute and my legs no longer feel like jelly after a trip, I'm starting to think the bike is to big for me. My lower back is sore after my return journey most days this week.

So long story short I'm going to get my own bike on the BTW scheme. But I'm strongly considering an Mtb or hybrid, due to the uneven surfaces our Irish roads provide.

Cheers

I've a similar commute, and I stick with a hybrid for this. Your best bet is to find a good local bike shop and try out a couple of different styles. There really is no 'best brand' but a good local shop will make a big difference.

It could be the tyres tho, they're mad skinny?

Unless you've got wheels with a very low spoke count and are on the heavy side yourself, you can cover all sorts of terrain on a road bike with robust tyres. For the road bike, something like 25mm Durano plus tyres are pretty bullet proof and handle well. A mountain bike or anything with suspension on any paved road is just extra weight, cost, lost power and source of maintenance issues for no added benefit. Hybrid with wide robust tyres is grand and comfortable as a pub / shops / short commute bike, and personally I like having a cheaper bike that I don't feel too precious about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know nothing about bikes really, just presumed an MTB or hybrid was the way to go for anything off road.
    I can't see where you've mentioned going off-road....:confused:

Lumen wrote: »
    I can't see where you've mentioned going off-road....:confused:

Maybe we should copy this thread to Shane Ross re the cycling communities take on the current state on our cycling infrastructure

Advertisement