Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need help with veg. dietitian b/c of weight gain

Options
  • 15-08-2016 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have someone who is very dear to me who went vegetarian a couple of months ago, but is now really struggling because of weight gain. She used to be skinny on a meat diet, but has been gaining a lot of weight ever since going vegetarian, because she is eating carbs all the time to compensate for lack of meat. We have tried everything - following my diet (I have never had any issues), following all sorts of plans and tips and diets on the net, but nothing seems to be working. She is hungry all the time and can't adjust properly. She doesn't want to give up, but we really need to find a solution.

The only thing I can think of is a vegetarian dietitian, but those are insanely expensive where I live in Dublin, 100 euros per 1 hour. If anyone has any ideas of any kind, will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

The_Brood wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have someone who is very dear to me who went vegetarian a couple of months ago, but is now really struggling because of weight gain. She used to be skinny on a meat diet, but has been gaining a lot of weight ever since going vegetarian, because she is eating carbs all the time to compensate for lack of meat. We have tried everything - following my diet (I have never had any issues), following all sorts of plans and tips and diets on the net, but nothing seems to be working. She is hungry all the time and can't adjust properly. She doesn't want to give up, but we really need to find a solution.

The only thing I can think of is a vegetarian dietitian, but those are insanely expensive where I live in Dublin, 100 euros per 1 hour. If anyone has any ideas of any kind, will be greatly appreciated.

just go to normal dietitian? they dont have to be a vegetarian to understand how to have a sustainable healthy diet without meat.

loads of people dont eat meat or animal products for a variety of reasons, some by choice some for medical reasons. just go to a normal dietitian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Some simple and standard stuff - cut out the carbs! Replace any white refined carbs with wholegrain versions. Eat way more fruit and vegetables (minus the butter and cheese sauces). Eat way more nuts and seeds and grains.
    Cut back on frozen processed "I can't believe they're not burgers" & similar meat-alike substitutes.
    Put away the chocy biccies.

In my experience proper vegetarianism is default healthy, but there is also a very unhealthy mayo-cheese-chip-butties cul de sac you can find yourself on. In which case you'd be far better off going back to high quality lean chicken, beef, fish etc.

Rest assured you can eat sacks and sacks of broccoli and never threaten the bathroom scales so if there's weight gain it's bound to be the usual dietary suspects.

I've found "my fitness pal" to be a great tool for recording and monitoring what I'm eating and you can clearly look back at your carrots to Cadbury ratio without any fugue of self delusion :).

Advertisement