Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donor Rifle ...what caliber to go for ?

Options
  • 15-08-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

I have an option of getting a CZ .22 Hornet at small money from a buddy.
    I dont really want the Hornet 22 caliber as I have a .17HMR and a .223.
    I was thinking of making this a project rifle, maybe a .17 centerfire or a .204 .....what your ideas guys regarding calibers?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would the .17 centre or .204 not fall into the same category as the Hornet? IOW so close to the two you already have rendering it either unneeded or end up taking the place of the other two?

Or is this just something to build? IOW regardless of caliber something you want to do.

If you want something different, flat shooting, devastating on game, better ammo choice (better than others anyway), and better ballistics the .204 would win it, i'd reckon.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Been reading up on the .17 remmington round, my gosh its a serious round!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is. I've shot one, once. Serious flat and the ballistics on it are impressive for such a small bullet.

You talking almost 4 times the energy of the hmr and twice the speed. Same as a Swift 220 if not more and more than a 204 or 223 (bullet dependent).

The .204 has almost the same velocities, again bullet dependent, and about 25% more energy on paper.

So it's down to personal choice, ammo availability and performance. Speed and energy are great but the hmr beats the .22lr hands down yet the wind drift is as bad as a .22lr at any distance. However, and i can only go from whats on paper having never compared the two in real world tests, they perform then same in terms of drops and wind drift to such an extent that the difference between is negligible, with the .17 Rem being flatter by the most meagre amount.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

I was thinking of making this a project rifle, maybe a .17 centerfire or a .204 .....what your ideas guys regarding calibers?

Often wondered what sort of cost in involved with changing calibre

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Rebarrel to a 17 hornet, that's what I did with mine. Same action and magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

kelslat wrote: »
    Rebarrel to a 17 hornet, that's what I did with mine. Same action and magazine.

What does it cost to rebarrel

Advertisement