Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 VW Golf rear wobble

• 15-08-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

I will notice it from time-to-time travelling at 40-50mph, but generally it's worse when travelling at higher speeds on the motorway. There is a distinct wobble at the rear of the car, which is more obvious when going around a right hand bend. My mechanic has checked this, but can't see anything wrong, thought it was the shocks, but it isn't. He suggested changing one of the tyres. I replaced both back tyres and that hasn't solved the problem either. Anybody got any ideas what is going on here? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

CyberDave wrote: »
    I will notice it from time-to-time travelling at 40-50mph, but generally it's worse when travelling at higher speeds on the motorway. There is a distinct wobble at the rear of the car, which is more obvious when going around a right hand bend. My mechanic has checked this, but can't see anything wrong, thought it was the shocks, but it isn't. He suggested changing one of the tyres. I replaced both back tyres and that hasn't solved the problem either. Anybody got any ideas what is going on here? Thanks
    Switch the wheels back to front. See if the wobble is more pronounced and felt through the steering. If so, you'll know it's wheel related and not mechanical.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Well, I tried switching the wheels, but no difference.
    I think I'm just gonna bring it to another mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

When's it's nct due
    I'd put it in early and get a full checkup for small money
    If they find something get it fixed and you'll have a nice long nct
    If they don't then at least you get the nct out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Tigger wrote: »
    When's it's nct due
    I'd put it in early and get a full checkup for small money
    If they find something get it fixed and you'll have a nice long nct
    If they don't then at least you get the nct out of the way

Funny thing is I first noticed this not long after my NCT in June!
    Car got through NCT the first time around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Suspension bushing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Id suggest taking the car to a different mechanic, my wifes passat had a similar problem where the rear of the car would move around onrough roads and on the motor way the steering needed constant correction. There was 2 bushing and 2 control arms need all on the passenger side.

Advertisement