Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic triathlon suit and/or wetsuit question

Options
  • 15-08-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi folks, sorry if this is a silly question - my googling was fruitless! I'd like to work my way towards my first triathlon next year. My question is whether or not a tri suit is sufficient for open water swimming in Ireland?

I mean, I'd like to cycle to the beach and then go for a swim. I can't transport a wetsuit by bike unless I'm wearing it - and that doesn't sound ideal. So do people normally swim in tri suits? Or is the water just too cold in Ireland to avoid a wetsuit?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Yes you can swim year-round in a trisuit in OW (although most would just wear togs). A wetsuit would help against cold, but its not mandatory.

It is however mandatory to wear a wetsuit for 99% of Tri Races in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My wetsuit came with a bag that makes it a cylinder about 40cm long and maybe 15cm dia, so you could in theory sling it over your back, cycle, swim and cycle with little extra effort.

Advertisement