Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI - Evidence of Separation HELP!

Options
  • 15-08-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

So I received a letter from SUSI asking for some documents last week. All is fine except "evidence of separation". I had asked my mother for this and she said she had it but was on holiday at the time. Today I realized she only has documents from her last marriage and not my father (which is what is needed as I live with him).
    Just to clarify, my parents aren't and were never married. My father is not on my birth certificate. My mother was married and got legally divorced 3 years after I was born... I'm not sure if that has something to do with it but ntl I obviously had no control of what happened.
    So now I have no idea what to use as evidence of separation. I've less than 10 days to figure this out as I had assumed my mother had correct documents but was incorrect. Seriously I am so stressed out about this I have no idea what to do. They were living together until a few years ago (2012) but I don't know if that's relevant to the situation.

All & any help is greatly appreciated!
    (also, apologies if I posted on wrong board. I'm new here lol)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 user646464

you could establish that they are 2 separate households; different addresses, different bank accounts, taxed separately etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't worry yourself over their 14 day response period warnings. Things can be late, it just means you'll be waiting a little longer to get through final assessment.

Sometimes forms aren't the best way to convey a clear understanding. In your return envelope include a sheet on top with notes to clear up if needs be.

Its your parents that matter, your mothers former husband is irrelevant and what SUSI want to know is that your mother isnt supporting you along with your father. Call them and ask what they want to document this, they may just need a written declaration from your mother to state she isnt supporting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boekind

Hi,

I was in a similar situation when I was originally applying for the grant 3 years ago, all I had to do was prove that my parents lived separately e.g. a utilities bill from my mother with her address and a utilities bill from my father with his address on it, it was as simple as that but I would suggest calling them first to confirm if this would be enough in your case, I found them to be extremely helpful on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

As per Documentation Requirement Guidelines in Support of your Grant Application from SUSI this is the requirements for evidence of separation.

D5: Evidence of Separation

If requested to do so, you must supply evidence of separation.

The following documents are accepted as evidence of separation.
    • A Separation Agreement
    • A Divorce Decree
    • A Decree of Dissolution for a civil partnership
    • Evidence from the Department of Social Protection confirming receipt of Deserted Wife’s Allowance or a One Parent Family Payment
    • If there is no legal agreement a letter from your solicitor confirming separation and where applicable that legal proceedings are pending.
    Proof of living separately,
    • i.e. Separate Utility Bills for both parties. Utility Bills must;
    o Show separate addresses
    o Cover the same billing period or part thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sumoballerina

boekind wrote: »
    Hi,

I was in a similar situation when I was originally applying for the grant 3 years ago, all I had to do was prove that my parents lived separately e.g. a utilities bill from my mother with her address and a utilities bill from my father with his address on it, it was as simple as that but I would suggest calling them first to confirm if this would be enough in your case, I found them to be extremely helpful on the phone.

I sent away utility bills but not with the same dates (don't think we have any with same dates). Not accepted. Rang SUSI today and the guy literally said there's nothing else they can do. I'm so heartbroken. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

I sent away utility bills but not with the same dates (don't think we have any with same dates). Not accepted. Rang SUSI today and the guy literally said there's nothing else they can do. I'm so heartbroken. :(

you can appeal!!!.

appeals to the SUSI appeals office and then if you are not successful, there is the Independent student grant appeals board

of course there is something you can do..check out the website and see about the appeals process!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

The utility bills must cover the same billing periods.

As most utility bills are bi-monthly, the billing periods must cross at some point by at least 1 month. So where the bills crossed most recently are the ones that should to be submitted.

If these are not available, submit as many bills from each household to the nearest possible date. I would say within 2-3 months of the current date.

If you cannot provide this evidence then it would suggest to SUSI that they are not living separately, even though they maybe separated and therefore other evidence as listed above must be provided to support your application as your parents being separated and living apart.

Where parents are separated but still residing in the same household, both incomes are still considered as reckonable income on the application. This happens quite frequently given the current price of rents/housing.

Advertisement