Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these waders good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

They look ok, but its all hit and miss with waders. A statistic i have from a chap who makes his living selling and repairing waders is that at least 20% of them leak from day one, regardless of if they cost 100 or 500.

For that reason, I wouldnt buy anything that I couldnt bring back easily under warranty.
    That means spending a little extra and buying in a shop near where you live, or off a reputable site, or better still, give Diver Dave a shout (google him, you'l find his site).

He will sell waders at very good prices, and anything he offers is tested & seam sealed by him before sending out, and comes with a great warranty. He comes highly recommended on a lot of fly fishing forums.

Those ebay waders are almost 140 euros before shipping which adds another 10 euro and the warranty may be questionable.
    I just picked up a pair of Scierra breathables from Dave for 140 euros, including shipping, testing, seam sealing and a considerable warranty.

Before anyone asks, i have no affiliation with Dave, apart from finding him through research and dealing with him personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Thanks, I have contacted dave as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, I have contacted dave as we speak

You'll also need to budget for a pair of boots too.

Yup, I'll see what I can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I have those exact ones 2 seasons and they only started to leak last weak and that was due to me ripping them on thorns.

I've since repaired them and they are good as new again. For the price you can't go wrong imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

dunlop waders in tralee olwas2014, 70 euro and can be patched very easily...

walter lyons back of ch chemist

Are they breathable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have found over the years that there is a lot of nonsense around about waders. I've tried most types over decades and have gone back to rubber hipboots. My current pair are Vass and weren't expensive. I have them 5 years with use at least 3 days a week on the river, in season. I cover rough ground and they withstand thorns and wire no problem. If they were punctured they are easily repaired. They are used at lakes and the sea the rest of the year.

I have found that the Irish weather doesn't call for breathable waders very often. Breathable, neoprene etc leak too easily. They don't take the abuse of the river bank at all. If you want chest waders, I also endorse the Dunlop ones for good hardwearing kit.

By all means buy what you are comfortable with and can afford but the more expensive waders have never caught me more fish nor added to the enjoyment of a day's fishing.

I'll have a look, I'm in Tralee today

• Advertisement

I have found over the years that there is a lot of nonsense around about waders. I've tried most types over decades and have gone back to rubber hipboots. My current pair are Vass and weren't expensive. I have them 5 years with use at least 3 days a week on the river, in season. I cover rough ground and they withstand thorns and wire no problem. If they were punctured they are easily repaired. They are used at lakes and the sea the rest of the year.

I have found that the Irish weather doesn't call for breathable waders very often. Breathable, neoprene etc leak too easily. They don't take the abuse of the river bank at all. If you want chest waders, I also endorse the Dunlop ones for good hardwearing kit.

By all means buy what you are comfortable with and can afford but the more expensive waders have never caught me more fish nor added to the enjoyment of a day's fishing.

Couldn't agree more with this opinion, its complete nonsense the wader trade, but your simple rubber waders are the best, i find dunlop the best and can easily be repaired with aqua sure, i have bought every type of wader and this is my experience..

Dan I am probably going to get the Dunlop. Where is the store? Do they have a wading belt

Dan I am probably going to get the Dunlop. Where is the store? Do they have a wading belt

I know you were asking Dan and I'm sure he'll give you his option but why do you need a wading belt?

Lyons were out of chest waders but I'll probably get them online. What Dunlop waders are they Dan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Only problem with non breathable waders is that your covered in sweat! I was using diawa Wellington waders for 3 years unreal waders for 50e. I have changed to Vision ikons breathable waders very nice to come back with hardly any sweat at all! Yes neoprene and rubber waters are not as prone to getting leaks, but if you take care of any breathable waders they'll last just as long..

Just my two cents!

I'm just after ordering breathables

I'm just after ordering breathables

What ones? You'd need to get a decent pair of wading boots, also wading studds are handy too, if your fishing on slippy banks etc.

Bison waders with boots and studs

Bison waders with boots and studs

Herd some good things about bison waders. Treat the them good and watch them over barbed wire etc ! Also if they do get a leak Dave diver is the man to call! And also always hang them up!.

I wouldn't have bought them if I haven't heard good things! And diver dave is always on hand worst case as you stated! And thank you so much for the care tips. Barbed wire would be a disaster!!!

• Advertisement

Olwas2014 wrote:
    Are they breathable?

Yes

I don't know, I certainly enjoy walking banks and summer fishing a lot more in breathables than in heavy neoprenes!

BrownTrout wrote: »
    I don't know, I certainly enjoy walking banks and summer fishing a lot more in breathables than in heavy neoprenes!

I agree that neoprene are heavy, hence I said I don't bother with them any more. I have never found rubber waders a problem on the banks in warm weather though. Probably just me but as I said - whatever you're happy with yourself.

I'm very happy with my choice

Advertisement