Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when did God start controlling the outcome of boxing matches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How many medals have you won in boxing as a matter of interest.??
    When Katie reviews this fight she will know it was decided by at least one colour-blind/corrupt judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

He is too busy with the weather to be dealing with boxing matches....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

washman3 wrote: »
    When Katie reviews this fight she will know it was decided by at least one colour-blind/corrupt judge.

Not a chance. She was well beaten and lost that fight fair and square, it would have been a travesty if she got the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

washman3 wrote:
    How many medals have you won in boxing as a matter of interest.?? When Katie reviews this fight she will know it was decided by at least one colour-blind/corrupt judge.

Presumably that corrupt judge was acting on God's instructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

washman3 wrote: »

I'm in complete agreement about the judge. I wasnt commenting on her boxing, I was commenting on her remark about Gods plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

To be fair, she is not the first, or not the last athlete to say things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

What's the point of this thread. Katie Taylor is and always has been extremely religious. I can't imagine how anybody who knows anything about her is not aware of this.
    Fair enough you are free to take the piss out of that however and whenever you want. But taking the piss out of someone when they are at their lowest point is just pretty pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whatever floats her boat.
    Have a family member who is extremely religous, grates a bit, but you let it slide.

Yes, only one round Katie won clearly yet one judge did not even give her that one. Other two judges I wouldn't argue with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Not a chance. She was well beaten and lost that fight fair and square, it would have been a travesty if she got the decision.

I don't think Katie was well beaten. It was a split decision by the judges at the end.

So God decides who wins at the Olympics? Is it based on who trains hardest, or who prays the hardest. I may get slated here for knocking the nations sweetheart but thats one whopper delusion Katie Taylor is under!

What's the point of this thread. Katie Taylor is and always has been extremely religious. I can't imagine how anybody who knows anything about her is not aware of this. Fair enough you are free to take the piss out of that however and whenever you want. But taking the piss out of someone when they are at their lowest point is just pretty pathetic

I think the OP's point is how do religious people (any religion) balance/reconcile their own efforts with "God's will"? At what point do you stop blaming (or thanking) your god and just take personal responsibility?

In a similar vein, I've seen survivors of disasters (floods, hurricanes, plane crashes) attribute their escape to God's will and declare it proof of God's existence.

Presumably the victims unable to so testify (because they are dead) might have a different take on it.

• Advertisement

Aineoil wrote:
    I don't think Katie was well beaten. It was a split decision by the judges at the end.

I thought she clearly lost.

First Up wrote:
    I think the OP's point is how do religious people (any religion) balance/reconcile their own efforts with "God's will"? At what point do you stop blaming (or thanking) your god and just take personal responsibility?

I understand (and totally agree with his point), I just don't agree with pissing on people when they are already in the gutter.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First Up wrote: »
    I think the OP's point is how do religious people (any religion) balance/reconcile their own efforts with "God's will"?
    it's the 'job' of someone who is religious to give thanks to god. kinda goes with the territory; i don't think they see any reason to balance it; if you believe an omnipotent superbeing created you and loves you, you probably think it logical to thank them.

i'm kinda just stating the obvious here, amn't i?

I understand (and totally agree with his point), I just don't agree with pissing on people when they are already in the gutter.....

Its a perfectly reasonable point to make in a forum about religion (or the lack of it.)

It might be different in a boxing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Why would what she said annoy you? Says more about you then her.

First Up wrote:
    Its a perfectly reasonable point to make in a forum about religion (or the lack of it.)

Agreed, I have no issue with the point, I just think its just such an obvious point of view that it has no value.
    Bit like a child pointing at another child after falling in a playground and pointing and shooting "Ha Ha, you fell"...
    That's it really, nothing else.

it's the 'job' of someone who is religious to give thanks to god. kinda goes with the territory; i don't think they see any reason to balance it; if you believe an omnipotent superbeing created you and loves you, you probably think it logical to thank them.

So do you just rationalise it by accepting that on this ocassion, they loved the other person a bit more?

Agreed, I have no issue with the point, I just think its just such an obvious point of view that it has no value. Bit like a child pointing at another child after falling in a playground and pointing and shooting "Ha Ha, you fell"... That's it really, nothing else.

Fair enough. I think it is all nonsense anyway so I should probably stay out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

So some people have beliefs and faith and should be accepted for it.Full stop! Live and let live.I thought we had changed in Ireland and were now accepting that people have differing views on topics,this is not a bad thing ,is it? So stop acting the GOBSH1TE and accept that there are different people with differing views in our land.Live and let live. Katie is a hero for entertaining the Irish people and indeed many others for a good many years and she is not finished yet.

ethical wrote:
    So some people have beliefs and faith and should be accepted for it.Full stop! Live and let live.I thought we had changed in Ireland and were now accepting that people have differing views on topics,this is not a bad thing ,is it? So stop acting the GOBSH1TE and accept that there are different people with differing views in our land.Live and let live. Katie is a hero for entertaining the Irish people and indeed many others for a good many years and she is not finished yet.

Whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ethical wrote: »
    Live and let live

The RCC & it's century long grip on Irish society beg to differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Them FCUKERS should all be castrated....cut out the middleman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If prayer worked, WADA or whoever would have to figure out a way to ban it :p

Scrap the cap!

Why would what she said annoy you? Says more about you then her.

Annoys me, no. Perplexes me, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The judges have been bastards to all our boxers this olympics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

FACT: Katie Taylor has not won a decent match since the Marriage Referendum
    CONCLUSION: GOD IS PUNISHING IRELAND

/sarcasm

What's the point of this thread. Katie Taylor is and always has been extremely religious. I can't imagine how anybody who knows anything about her is not aware of this.
    Fair enough you are free to take the piss out of that however and whenever you want. But taking the piss out of someone when they are at their lowest point is just pretty pathetic

Mehhh... i think if an athlete goes on national TV to proclaim that the results of the Olympics are preordained by their God, then its perfectly reasonable and fair to question that point in an Atheism forum ( a forum i guess Katie is unlikely to be reading anyway).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Mehhh... i think if an athlete goes on national TV to proclaim that the results of the Olympics are preordained by their God, then its perfectly reasonable and fair to question that point in an Atheism forum ( a forum i guess Katie is unlikely to be reading anyway).

I can't wait for the conclusion of this debate.

Another waste of internet space.

So what she's religious
    Is her beliefs going to have any effect on your life ?

I think your post says more about you really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Is she not blaming her loss on God? She seems to be implying that 'oh well, I've done my best and I still haven't won so God must have decided it wasn't to be'. Kinda thing.

God must be extra busy this fortnight deciding who wins and who looses during the olympics. And remember , he has to decide who gets pass the heats/rounds so it's not just a case of awarding the medals. See, being God ain't as straightforward as it might seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

So God decides who wins at the Olympics? Is it based on who trains hardest, or who prays the hardest. I may get slated here for knocking the nations sweetheart but thats one whopper delusion Katie Taylor is under!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/katie-taylors-post-fight-interview-is-heartbreaking-to-watch-749845.html

And :confused:

Advertisement