Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when did God start controlling the outcome of boxing matches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I have to say this thread is just like many "atheists" I know. It's more that they are anti-religion rather than atheist.
    They seem to think that by pulling the piss out of religious people and their faith that it somehow makes them better atheists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

So God decides who wins at the Olympics? Is it based on who trains hardest, or who prays the hardest. I may get slated here for knocking the nations sweetheart but thats one whopper delusion Katie Taylor is under!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/katie-taylors-post-fight-interview-is-heartbreaking-to-watch-749845.html

Hardly the first time someone has blamed god/men of god after sustaining a pounding in the ring.

(guess which clip we're going to be watching on Reeling in the Years for the next eleventy five years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In fairness to her she credits God for both her wins and victories as opposed to just the good times. She is still mad as a bag of spanner. I could never warm to her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If it was part of God's plan should her coach not accept it and move on? How can Katy work with a man who defies God in this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I actually think it is more sad that she belittled her own hard work and grit by attributing her wins to Gods will.
    She owes us nothing by the way. Well done Katie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

_Brian wrote: »
    I have to say this thread is just like many "atheists" I know. It's more that they are anti-religion rather than atheist.
    They seem to think that by pulling the piss out of religious people and their faith that it somehow makes them better atheists.

Agreed. Whether religious or atheist I don't think anybody should be wasting their time judging others for their beliefs. It everyone thought exactly the same we'd have a boring ass world. Power to you for standing by your own beliefs but trying to belittle others is a pointless exercise that is presumably only to make you feel better about your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

_Brian wrote: »

Well if someone believes in nonsense, which has zero proof to back it up, then those are people with deminished intelligence, or just super gullible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well if someone believes in nonsense, which has zero proof to back it up, then those are people with deminished intelligence, or just super gullible

Is it ok to pull the piss out of somebody with diminished intelligence?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

FACT: Katie Taylor has not won a decent match since the Marriage Referendum
    CONCLUSION: GOD IS PUNISHING IRELAND

/sarcasm

Your forgot to mention the bad weather!
    God controls the weather and the weather has been crap because of SSM :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I appreciate people holding that opinion. But actively going out of their way to demean people with faith ?? Why ?

It's a sad person that makes themselves feel better by knocking others and making them feel bad and that's the behaviour of many atheists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your forgot to mention the bad weather!
    *looks out window*

eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

it's the 'job' of someone who is religious to give thanks to god. kinda goes with the territory; i don't think they see any reason to balance it; if you believe an omnipotent superbeing created you and loves you, you probably think it logical to thank them.

If wonder why anyone, Katie or otherwise, who truly believes there is an omnipotent "god" who has a grand plan for them and their whole life laid out including the moment they pop their clogs bothers looking left and right when crossing the road. I know it's good practice for those of us who don't have a life long plan already in place for us but surely its a waste of time for the likes of Katie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I actually think it is more sad that she belittled her own hard work and grit by attributing her wins to Gods will.
    She owes us nothing by the way. Well done Katie.

I would agree.. It's a shame that she gives the credit for all her hard work away so easy but it's her choice at the end of the day...

Says the anonymous internet keyboard warrior who can't spell "diminished" about a national and European boxing champion with an Olympic gold medal.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some people thank God in victory, some people find it easier to take when they say it's not part of his grand plan when they lose, some people think that a dead loved one was looking out for them when they had a close call....they're all variations on a theme.

If some people (i.e those of diminished intelligence, extreme gullibility) get some comfort from these things, then so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

_Brian wrote:
    I have to say this thread is just like many "atheists" I know. It's more that they are anti-religion rather than atheist. They seem to think that by pulling the piss out of religious people and their faith that it somehow makes them better atheists.

The OP raised a legitimate point about how Katie Taylor illustrates the contradictions among those who have unwavering belief in "God's will" and personal effort/responsibility.

It should be possible to discuss that without diverting into the result of a particular boxing match or Katie Talyor's status in Irish sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How many people could have pulled themselves together as she did, to comment at all? I have no time for either boxing or suggestions that god is making individual decisions for each of us, but the strength of will she showed in making any statement at all was impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First Up wrote: »
    The OP raised a legitimate point about how Katie Taylor illustrates the contradictions among those who have unwavering belief in "God's will" and personal effort/responsibility.
    but it's a given that someone religious is going to say things about god or belief that you don't agree with. so highlighting it is kinda redundant in a sense.

but it's a given that someone religious is going to say things about god or belief that you don't agree with. so highlighting it is kinda redundant in a sense.

It is still legitimate to ask people of such belief how they reconcile it with reality.

It might be unfair to expect Katie to be able to, but it is notable that those defending "faith" here can't do it either.

It is still legitimate to ask people of such belief how they reconcile it with reality.

It might be unfair to expect Katie to be able to, but it is notable that those defending "faith" here can't do it either.

Why does it matter though ?

Why should anyone have to justify their sincerely held beliefs to you ?

it may be 'legitimate' but is it polite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Andre Agassi actually made this point in his autobiography, he said something that used get into his head when playing and seeing the his opponent bless himself or thank god after wining a game or set or whatever would fill him with rage, he'd question why would his opponent think god was on their side and not his.

he said it took him ages to get over the frustration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

_Brian wrote:
    I have to say this thread is just like many "atheists" I know. It's more that they are anti-religion rather than atheist. They seem to think that by pulling the piss out of religious people and their faith that it somehow makes them better atheists.

There was a time when you could get banned from this forum for such an honest post or reply.

It seems some atheists and religious people have climbed down from the trees a long time ago and accept religious people and their way of life.

Other atheists and religious people have a long way to go before they evolve into loving human beings who have compassion and acceptance.
    They're still swinging from tree to tree.

I'll be called a strawman again I suppose.....

But being a pagan I'd rather a wicker man.....

it may be 'legitimate' but is it polite?

Why not? Its a discussion forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They reconcile it with reality because it is reality to them.

Swanner wrote:
    Why should anyone have to justify their sincerely held beliefs to you ?

I'm asking them to explain them, not justify them.

They reconcile it with reality because it is reality to them.

And the rest of reality is what exactly?

I'm asking them to explain them, not justify them.

Fair enough..

Why should they have to explain them to you ?

Swanner wrote:
    Why should they have to explain them to you ?

You would like to think that if they have explained them to themselves they could explain them to others.

Conversely.....

You would like to think that if they have explained them to themselves they could explain them to others.

You may like to think that but they are your thoughts and yours alone..

So again, why should anyone have to explain their beliefs to you ?

• Advertisement

Why not? Its a discussion forum.
    sure, if they're willing to come on here and debate it, of course that's fair. your post was not so specific, so i assumed you were speaking generally.

Advertisement