Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when did God start controlling the outcome of boxing matches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First Up wrote: »
    And the rest of reality is what exactly?

How do you prove to them that God is a nonsense and doesn't control results?

Science. The big bang. Physics etc.

"What caused the big bang to happen? Why then? Why did it create all this?"

That's a question that science can't really answer and they can say "God" because they want to believe and they probably feel that science can't explain it because science can't explain God.

I'm a physicist and I know that's not right but I also know that there are millions of people that hope/believe/take comfort in lots of things that aren't religious and it gives them comfort.

The person who sits by a graveside and talks to his loved one....can they hear the words? No. But it helps the person speaking to think so. Are they delusional? Should we question it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Swanner wrote:
    So again, why should anyone have to explain their beliefs to you ?

They don't have to but they might be taken more seriously and respected if they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The person who sits by a graveside and talks to his loved one....can they hear the words? No. But it helps the person speaking to think so. Are they delusional? Should we question it?

Some people think that we not only should question it, but also deride them for their gullibility :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They don't have to but they might be taken more seriously and respected if they could.
    taken more seriously and respected by you?
    why would they care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Taken seriously and respected by whom ?

You ? Atheists in general ?

Do you think this matters to them ? Do you think Katie cares what you or anyone else thinks of her faith ?

You see, as long as you, and a significant proportion of your athiest friends on boards, continue to cast judgement on other peoples beliefs while adopting a righteous and superior stance up to and including calling people gullible and unintelligent because they don't think like you, you are in fact guilty of everything you all despise so much about the worst aspects of religion.

It amazes me that those who consistently claim to be the intelligentsia of the species miss this glaring hypocrisy time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

She's had a mic shoved in her face after probably the most devastating defeat of her career. Give her a break.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blackvalley

ethical wrote: »
    So some people have beliefs and faith and should be accepted for it.Full stop! Live and let live.I thought we had changed in Ireland and were now accepting that people have differing views on topics,this is not a bad thing ,is it? So stop acting the GOBSH1TE and accept that there are different people with differing views in our land.Live and let live. Katie is a hero for entertaining the Irish people and indeed many others for a good many years and she is not finished yet.

Strange thinking that ! . The expression " live and let live " used twice and then someone with an alternative view is told to " Stop acting the gob****e " So live and let live as long as you agree with me seems to be the suggestion :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

8-10 wrote:
    Some people think that we not only should question it, but also deride them for their gullibility

Who is "we"

Deride them for their gullibility......

I'd like to see you try,maybe set up your own stall in Galway and start deriding people for their gullibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you misread the tone of 8-10's post.

Swanner wrote:
    You ? Atheists in general ?

Did you notice the title of this forum?
    Swanner wrote:
    Do you think this matters to them ? Do you think Katie cares what you or anyone else thinks of her faith ?
    Probably not but she's the one who keeps bringing it up - in the context of boxing matches.
    Swanner wrote:
    You see, as long as you, and a significant proportion of your athiest friends on boards, continue to cast judgement on other peoples beliefs while adopting a righteous and superior stance up to and including calling people gullible and unintelligent because they don't think like you, you are in fact guilty of everything you all despise so much about the worst aspects of religion.
    Since when is being curious about what people think "despising" anything?
    Swanner wrote:
    It amazes me that those who consistently claim to be the intelligentsia of the species miss this glaring hypocrisy time and time again.

You amaze easily.

• Advertisement

sure, if they're willing to come on here and debate it, of course that's fair.

All I'm asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

8-10 wrote: »
    Some people think that we not only should question it, but also deride them for their gullibility :rolleyes:

I think it is somewhat born out of frustration!

Religious people and their gullibility still have lasting effects on the people of this country who still have to live their day to day lives based on the crap they believe that is entrenched in out constitution.

Until these gullible people wake the **** up nothing will change.

Probably not but she's the one who keeps bringing it up - in the context of boxing matches.

Again, so what ? Why are you so concerned with her personal beliefs ? They are her beliefs. Leave her at it.
    techdiver wrote: »
    Religious people and their gullibility still have lasting effects on the people of this country who still have to live their day to day lives based on the crap they believe that is entrenched in out constitution.

I keep hearing this but as somebody who was raised CoI yet has always been non religious, I rarely if ever feel like the church is asserting any influence over my life or that of my family.

Schools are an obvious one but there are ways around that if people strongly enough. Aside from schools I just don't see it..

I think you'll always find problems if you go looking for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

So God decides who wins at the Olympics? Is it based on who trains hardest, or who prays the hardest. I may get slated here for knocking the nations sweetheart but thats one whopper delusion Katie Taylor is under!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/katie-taylors-post-fight-interview-is-heartbreaking-to-watch-749845.html

The bit that gets me about thanking god for using your golf sticks really well, or hitting someone super hard is that by doing so you are effectively saying that you are so important, and you pray so good, that god's takes time out of his busy schedule of letting kids die of starvation, e en though their parents are praying really, really hard for them to live, so you can win and a fcuking medal. To be perfectly honest, that disgusts me. Why on earth would you want to worship, praise or give thanks to anything that will intervene in a, I the grand scheme of things, meaningless sports event, but allow thousands upon thousand of people to die?

People are, of course, entitled to believe whatever they like, but I can't understand how someone could believe that.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

MrPudding wrote: »
    The bit that gets me about thanking god for using your golf sticks really well, or hitting someone super hard is that by doing so you are effectively saying that you are so important, and you pray so good, that god's takes time out of his busy schedule of letting kids die of starvation, e en though their parents are praying really, really hard for them to live, so you can win and a fcuking medal. To be perfectly honest, that disgusts me. Why on earth would you want to worship, praise or give thanks to anything that will intervene in a, I the grand scheme of things, meaningless sports event, but allow thousands upon thousand of people to die?

People are, of course, entitled to believe whatever they like, but I can't understand how someone could believe that.

MrP

What have you done to help children that are dying of Starvation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Terrlock wrote: »
    What have you done to help children that are dying of Starvation?

More than god.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

8-10 wrote: »
    Is it ok to pull the piss out of somebody with diminished intelligence?

Well anyone who believes in religion deserves the piss taken out of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Swanner wrote: »
    I would agree.. It's a shame that she gives the credit for all her hard work away so easy but it's her choice at the end of the day...

Says the anonymous internet keyboard warrior who can't spell "diminished" about a national and European boxing champion with an Olympic gold medal.. :rolleyes:

Well she puts her success down to God, so that's utterly ridiculous. My spelling is down to my dyslexia and not a devine power

Well she puts her success down to God, so that's utterly ridiculous.

She puts her talent down to God.

That's completely different.

Swanner wrote:
    Again, so what ? Why are you so concerned with her personal beliefs ? They are her beliefs. Leave her at it.

And again, I am curious as to how religious people reconcile unconditional faith with the realities of daily life (boxing included) and I thought a forum about such matters was a reasonable place to discuss it.

If you don't think so, what are you doing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well anyone who believes in religion deserves the piss taken out of them

So you believe that these people have diminished intelligence and you believe the right thing to do is take the piss out of them? You sound like the classroom bully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

And again, I am curious as to how religious people reconcile unconditional faith with the realities of daily life (boxing included)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Well she puts her success down to God, so that's utterly ridiculous.

But that's only your opinion, nothing more...

For you to suggest that Katie is super gullible or has diminished intelligence because she holds a different view reflects only on you, not her.

And again, I am curious as to how religious people reconcile unconditional faith with the realities of daily life (boxing included) and I thought a forum about such matters was a reasonable place to discuss it.

I have no issue with the general topic. I only take issue with the judgmental and personal approach of some posters on here...
    If you don't think so, what are you doing here?
    Fair enough. I think it is all nonsense anyway so I should probably stay out of it.

Given that you think it's all nonsense I could ask you the same question..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

"In Spain all 22 players make the sign of the cross before they enter the pitch. If it works all matches must therefore end in a draw." Johan Cruyff

Swanner wrote:
    Given that you think it's all nonsense I could ask you the same question..

I am encouraging discussion. You want to stifle it.

They find ways to separate God's influence from the bad sh*t that happens.

Free will of the individual, the worsening of the world due to the collective divergence from God's 'way', etc etc.

I don't know if they believe that God is all-powerful in the sense that God can intervene. I think they think that faith is reassuring for when bad sh*t goes down rather than being an insurance policy against it happening.

That's my understanding anyway. It sounds like goalposts are sometimes moved in explaining but it ultimately doesn't matter to me because if faith comforts people in bad times, that's fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Katie's cool. If her God gives her strength - so be it. Leave her alone!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrPudding wrote: »
    The bit that gets me about thanking god for using your golf sticks really well, or hitting someone super hard is that by doing so you are effectively saying that you are so important, and you pray so good, that god's takes time out of his busy schedule of letting kids die of starvation, e en though their parents are praying really, really hard for them to live, so you can win and a fcuking medal. To be perfectly honest, that disgusts me.
    The central conceit behind prayer - that the deity will willingly choose to suspend the usual operation of the universe to benefit somebody or something - really brings arrogance to a whole new level, particularly when some poor sap must lose something in order for the alleged beneficiary to receive it.

Though that said, we had a situation with Popette recently in which she had decided to achieve some family purpose, not by leaving her house and interacting with the wider family, but instead, by staying at home and praying. In the circumstances, let me say that the power of prayer is a wonderful thing.

• Advertisement

That's my understanding anyway. It sounds like goalposts are sometimes moved in explaining but it ultimately doesn't matter to me because if faith comforts people in bad times, that's fine by me.

All fine but its a pretty poor technique for analysing boxing matches.

Advertisement