Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashed Bike

Options
  • 15-08-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Looking for advice. I was in an accident earlier this year, fairly badly injured but nothing permanent, I hope :eek:. Anyway my bike got off lightly so I am led to believe. Bike shop examined it, it is a carbon frame and fork. Bike shops says no visible damage but then there is a disclaimer on the report that says due to technical limitations we are unable to analyse carbon frames and cant accept responsibility for future issues but in their opinion it's fine. I hit the side of a car, got catapulted over the bonnet. Front wheel, saddle, peddle and handle bar took the most damage. These bits all need replaced. I doubt I will be getting back on the bike soon and not this bike and will sell it on. So what would you do? This will be an insurance job. Would you claim for the new frame and dump the crashed one. Assume the bike shop are right and the frame is fine but let any potential buyer know it was crashed and let the new owner find out if there is a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Dinging wrote: »
    Looking for advice. I was in an accident earlier this year, fairly badly injured but nothing permanent, I hope :eek:. Anyway my bike got off lightly so I am led to believe. Bike shop examined it, it is a carbon frame and fork. Bike shops says no visible damage but then there is a disclaimer on the report that says due to technical limitations we are unable to analyse carbon frames and cant accept responsibility for future issues but in their opinion it's fine. I hit the side of a car, got catapulted over the bonnet. Front wheel, saddle, peddle and handle bar took the most damage. These bits all need replaced. I doubt I will be getting back on the bike soon and not this bike and will sell it on. So what would you do? This will be an insurance job. Would you claim for the new frame and dump the crashed one. Assume the bike shop are right and the frame is fine but let any potential buyer know it was crashed and let the new owner find out if there is a problem.

Personally, having seen what happened to a friend of mine's bike when a car turned across her (she had right of way), and she went into the wing and over the bonnet, I'd not trust a frame that took that much of an impact. If you are going to claim on insurance and get a replacement out of same, then technically the insurance company own the wrecked bike, and you may need to hand it over to then. If they don't want it (quite possible, happened to my friend), then salvage what you can, e.g. groupset bits, and dump the rest. Personally if I sold on a bike I knew had been in a heavy crash, and then found out that it failed while someone was riding it resulting in them being injured, I'd feel pretty crap about myself.....

That being said, glad to hear you're still willing to get back on the bike yourself, and hope your injuries heal fully!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd write off the bike and claim a new one on insurance and would dump the current one, maybe sell parts but not frame or forks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was knocked off my bike a couple of years ago.
    It was a carbon bike. When I examined it, I saw a paint crack on the frame. I told the insurance company. They paid me for new frame. I got rid of old frame. Insurance company never asked to see or examine the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Yes, that's the way to go, I'm going to scrap it. Insurance company can have it but I don't want to pass on a possibly defective bike to someone else and have that on my conscience. I am sure if I pushed the bike shop they would agree to sign it off as crashed and possibly dangerous. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Dinging wrote: »
    Yes, that's the way to go, I'm going to scrap it. Insurance company can have it but I don't want to pass on a possibly defective bike to someone else and have that on my conscience. I am sure if I pushed the bike shop they would agree to sign it off as crashed and possibly dangerous. Thanks all.

Even if they don't, the fact that they have added a disclaimer like that means (to my mind, at least) that the onus is on the insurance company to ensure that the frame is inspected/analysed more thoroughly, and any and all issues arising from the crash ruled out. In reality, that typically requires x-ray, CT scan (seriously, Canyon actually have one of these for inspecting frames after stress testing and such!), or some form of radiographical investigation, which in itself isn't cheap or indeed readily available for bicycles of all things, so for convenience most of them will just go with a replacement in that circumstance.

Bear in mind that if they are accepting liability for a claim, while I despise insurance fraud, I don't see a new bike in this scenario being fraud if you plan on scrapping the old one, and I know personally I'd have questions in my head about the integrity of the bike in your position, and you don't want them in your head if going downhill at upwards of 60 kph, as plenty of people do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Yes, really would not want to see the bike back out on the road unless it was given a 100% clean bill of health. CAT scan sounds like the job but is it worth the effort for the insurance company? I doubt it. If I do get to keep the frame I might use it on the trainer but it won't see the road again. Might have to skip in as running out of space in the shed now as well.

Advertisement