Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified in the North but want to teach in the south

Options
  • 15-08-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been in this situation and has it been difficult in gaining employment etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Has anyone been in this situation and has it been difficult in gaining employment etc.?

Are you registered with the Teaching Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Are you registered with the Teaching Council?
    Yes...pending. Was reading some of the forums and they don't seem to positive. I checked out educationposts.ie and there seems to be loads of jobs in comparison to the North. Currently in the North, there are about 10 jobs advertised for primary level and these include 2 principal posts.

I am recently qualified (June) in primary education but in the North, we can teach in secondary also. This is not the case n the south.

Yes...pending. Was reading some of the forums and they don't seem to positive. I checked out educationposts.ie and there seems to be loads of jobs in comparison to the North. Currently in the North, there are about 10 jobs advertised for primary level and these include 2 principal posts.

I am recently qualified (June) in primary education but in the North, we can teach in secondary also. This is not the case n the south.

So what sector are you registering for?

So what sector are you registering for?
    Primary. I completed my PGCE through the medium of Irish.

Great you have one hurdle passed - you will have to pass an Irish exam but as you are probably fluent so that won't be too difficult. You will also have to pass the history of education exam - there is a thread about it here.

• Advertisement

Great you have one hurdle passed - you will have to pass an Irish exam but as you are probably fluent so that won't be too difficult. You will also have to pass the history of education exam - there is a thread about it here.
    I've sent away my CV for a few posts but haven't heard anything as of yet. The thing now is, after looking at all the forums and NQTs etc. complaining about lack of work, it's a kind of worrying. I thought that there was a lack of teachers in the south.

Is there...or is that secondary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Neither to be honest. Lack of qualified secondary teachers of Irish mostly. I think you'd be safer sticking were you could sub in both sectors, but it you live near the border try subbing in the southern primary sectors to widen your net(when your registration comes through).

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Neither to be honest. Lack of qualified secondary teachers of Irish mostly. I think you'd be safer sticking were you could sub in both sectors, but it you live near the border try subbing in the southern primary sectors to widen your net(when your registration comes through).
    But do you not have to be registered as a secondary school teacher with the TC to enable you to teach in a secondary school?

No school would employ you without TC registration surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Isn't the masters in education the standard required to teach in the republic from 2014. The pgce is only worth 60 of the required 120 credits to teach here, that's even before talking about the missing modules and the fact the dip needs to be completed in the jurisdiction where the qualification was obtained. You'll have trouble and many hurdles to pass before being allowed to teach primary here never mind secondary.

But do you not have to be registered as a secondary school teacher with the TC to enable you to teach in a secondary school?

No school would employ you without TC registration surely?

Eh I never said you could sub in secondary.
    So I could sub in a secondary school without being registered with the TC?

• Advertisement

doc11 wrote: »
    Isn't the masters in education the standard required to teach in the republic from 2014. The pgce is only worth 60 of the required 120 credits to teach here, that's even before talking about the missing modules and the fact the dip needs to be completed in the jurisdiction where the qualification was obtained. You'll have trouble and many hurdles to pass before being allowed to teach primary here never mind secondary.
    I know one girl in our class who has good a job in the south already. She has 2 years, I think, to complete some tests or something. As far as I know anyone from Europe can teach in the south - Check out the European Directive.

So I could sub in a secondary school without being registered with the TC?

No you cannot sub without TC registration as there was a directive from the dept that stated that people subbing cannot work in a government funded school without TC registration. It is possible to employ an unqualified for a max of five days but that only if a qualified person cannot be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I know one girl in our class who has good a job in the south already. She has 2 years, I think, to complete some tests or something. As far as I know anyone from Europe can teach in the south - Check out the European Directive.

Anyone qualified from the EU is entitled to have their qualification recognised subject to addressing any shortfalls. Traditionally the shortfall for UK grads was just content based (Irish language and History of Irish Ed). Now there is a 60 credit shortfall - that's equivalent to one full year of university, as well as content shortfalls. Also you need QTS from the home country for recognition here.

There is a massive oversupply of teachers at all levels in Ireland. A couple of subjects at second level are short, that's it. There was a lack of subs at primary last year because there were less graduates because of the new longer courses - that's back to normal this year so no shortage.

Anyone qualified from the EU is entitled to have their qualification recognised subject to addressing any shortfalls. Traditionally the shortfall for UK grads was just content based (Irish language and History of Irish Ed). Now there is a 60 credit shortfall - that's equivalent to one full year of university, as well as content shortfalls. Also you need QTS from the home country for recognition here.

There is a massive oversupply of teachers at all levels in Ireland. A couple of subjects at second level are short, that's it. There was a lack of subs at primary last year because there were less graduates because of the new longer courses - that's back to normal this year so no shortage.
    That's bad news then!!!!

That's bad news then!!!!

The situation isn't great and has been bad for nearly a decade at this stage.

But if you want to work here then just wait and see what the TC say you need to do and go from there. You're in a better position than most coming from abroad in that you did your training through Irish. That will stand to you I think as there would be less competition for jobs in Gaelscoileanna.

Ok. We'll see what happens. Hopefully my registration goes through ok regardless.

I just keep checking the educationposts website and see the amount of jobs going there and thinking..there must be a shortage of primary school teachers in the south if there are that many jobs available.

As stated earlier, in the north there are about 10 jobs on offer.

You need to find out information from your friend about how the primary teaching panels work. I think not all those advertisements are open to all applicants. Maybe a primary teacher could verify this?

It usually just states send application form and or CV with cover letter. It also states TC registered.

Seems to be loads of jobs though if you go on to their website.

Join the education posts forum and there will be lots of primary teachers who can help you. There are many many primary teachers qualified for longer than you that can't get jobs. Are you on Facebook /Twitter? Check out voice for teachers Twitter . Even post your questions there.

• Advertisement

Can't register as I'm outside of 'Ireland'...so much for this historic year of 2016 and 'cherishing all the children of the nation equally'.

I see just under 180 primary teaching positions on edposts across all counties in Ireland. Easily 1000 teachers graduate each year - could be even more. There's definitely a massive oversupply and no shortage.

That's unreal figures. I thought there was a shortage! I wait on my registeration and see what happens with the few application I sent away.

Advertisement