Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Real Purdey Pair of Shotguns!

Options
  • 16-08-2016 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Was in a sioppa today and found a real Purdey pair of shotguns for sale and thought ye might enjoy the price tag - :eek:!

purdeyPair_zps3wh7qfgm.jpg

The Woodward is a steal. Try and find a 20ga for less that $52,000 in this condition. ;)

woodWard_zpserkjnxzu.jpg

There was actually a pair of Rizzini's going for close to $200,000...

Very nice people. Gave us a tour of the machine shop and the ProShop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I think most of us can only dream about owning a shotgun like this. Even if I did own a Purdey I'd be too afraid to fire it and I'm sure it would put the cost of house insurance through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Must rummage around in the sofa for some change :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think most of us can only dream about owning a shotgun like this. Even if I did own a Purdey I'd be too afraid to fire it and I'm sure it would put the cost of house insurance through the roof.

If you can afford a Purdey, you aren't worried about the price of house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I almost owned one...
    My mentor and a neighbour who taught me clay shooting many moons ago had one a single Purdey with all the bits and case.In fact he had been chosen to repersent Ireland in Mexico Olympics in 1964[?].Or had been short listed for the team but declined due to his missus telling him no way.Anyways as he had no male heirs he said that if I wanted it he would leave it to me in his will. Growing up and moving about ,as one does, I semi lost contact with him and he moved back to Dublin of which he didnt leave a forwarding address.In the last days of Garnetts and Keegans gun shop in 1988?I was in for a browse and looksee at what was left for sale.In the display case is his Purdey...He had died a year before and his wife had put all his guns up for sale as she was moving into a nursing home,...G&K wanted fve thousand punts for it!!!An imjpossible sum for 22 year old to come up with in depression era 1988 Ireland.

Moral of the story...If you know somone who has a purdey and says they will inherit it to you..Make double damn sure you stay in contact with them on a weekly if not daily basis!:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know they are hand made and collectibles but do they shoot any better or last any longer than a €5k or €10k shotgun? Just curious.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know they are hand made and collectibles but do they shoot any better or last any longer than a €5k or €10k shotgun? Just curious.

Kinda like saying will a bespoke tailor fit you with a better suit than your local Dunnes stores.Or will a gourmet burger be better than mc donalds.The reason they cost so much is they are really each made to your entire spec from the word go.Each gun is fitted to your stance and measurements and is custom built to what you personally want on it.So it 'should" shoot better for you than any mass produced gun.But if your technique is wrong there is nothing that the gun can do to improve that😀Do they last?Alot of them are pushing on over 150 years of age.Especially the big bore double rifles and are still in daily use by professional guides in Africa.The gunsmiths almost always have the entire history of the guns they made in their archives listing all the repairs change of owners etc.So yeah they are worth the money as investment ,shooter,or 2nd hand.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

My friend used to store his in the bank vault in Limerick.Thats when banks used to offer such services to their customers...

Advertisement