Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squat Technique - Supple Leopard

• 16-08-2016 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭

So I think I've a decent squat technique, some mobility issues but not too bad. While reading the back squat section of the Becoming a Supple Leopard he talks
    A lot about getting into the "braced position" a which in short involves squeezing and and glutes. He seems to say that this position should be held while going down into a squat.

While it's helpful to keep my abs tight while lowering into the squat, I don't really get how keeping glutes tight is a good thing. Doesn't this essentially immobilise them and make it harder to use them to raise out of the squat? Doesn't this make it harder to bend at the hips and also to push your knees apart?

Is he mistaken or am I understanding him wrong?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

LLMMLL wrote: »
    So I think I've a decent squat technique, some mobility issues but not too bad. While reading the back squat section of the Becoming a Supple Leopard he talks
    A lot about getting into the "braced position" a which in short involves squeezing and and glutes. He seems to say that this position should be held while going down into a squat.

While it's helpful to keep my abs tight while lowering into the squat, I don't really get how keeping glutes tight is a good thing. Doesn't this essentially immobilise them and make it harder to use them to raise out of the squat? Doesn't this make it harder to bend at the hips and also to push your knees apart?

Is he mistaken or am I understanding him wrong?

There's 3 glute muscles.

Squeeze glute max @ top to sit hips, then release to get into a squat (I believe this is the one you're confused about, you're right in its function by the way)

Engage glute med to keep the knees "out" (if he doesn't specifically refer to it, I believe that's what he's talking about)

..ignore glute min cos it's a piece of **** :D

Advertisement