Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DualBooting issue with Windows/Ubuntu

• 16-08-2016 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im having difficulty installing Windows and Ubuntu on a laptop as dualboot system. I originally had Ubuntu on the laptop and then decided I needed Windows as well for testing so I went ahead and installed windows on a partioned drive(used gpart to partition) Windows installed fine, but then Ubuntu would not appear as an option when booting, as if it wasnt there, even though I could see the partition.

I researched a bit and read that you should always install ubuntu Last on a dual boot set up as Windows over writes the bootmgr. So I re-installed Ubuntu on the Partitoned drive, installed and loads up fine. But now Windows is not appearing. But the partition is still there. Anyone got any hints. Getting a little tired of installing OS's at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

First of all there was no need to reinstall Ubuntu as all that was wrong was the boot manager needed to be reinstalled.
    Now that you have reinstalled Ubuntu and Windows is not showing on its boot list, all that is required is to update the boot manager so that it shows in the list.
    There are lots of posts explaining how to do this on Ubuntu forums and on line generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

seen a good few alright, Ill give it a blast tonight. So update the GRUB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

seen a good few alright, Ill give it a blast tonight. So update the GRUB.

Yes. I don't use Ubuntu so am unsure if it, by default, includes other Operating Systems (seems not), but if not you can use the Grub customiser (or whatever name it has) to change that, prior to update.
    Reading a few of the found posts should clarify it for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I would have expected the windows 10 to appear in the grub menu after the second time you installed ubuntu. But you can try updating again.
    sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

If it doesn't resolve just google check your specific laptop & UEFI to see if there is some special workaround needed. I have read lots of people with HP laptops for example needing to do a little work to get a dual boot setup.

I normally dual boot too, but in my current laptop I have two disks so I left the boot manager on both and switch the boot disk at boot time! It was un-intentional initially brought on by laziness but it actually works well so I left it so :) Depending on which disk I choose it boots ubuntu or windows.. and I never any worry that an OS update will cause the other OS any issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

croo wrote: »
    I would have expected the windows 10 to appear in the grub menu after the second time you installed ubuntu. But you can try updating again.
    sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

If it doesn't resolve just google check your specific laptop & UEFI to see if there is some special workaround needed. I have read lots of people with HP laptops for example needing to do a little work to get a dual boot setup.

I normally dual boot too, but in my current laptop I have two disks so I left the boot manager on both and switch the boot disk at boot time! It was un-intentional initially brought on by laziness but it actually works well so I left it so :) Depending on which disk I choose it boots ubuntu or windows.. and I never any worry that an OS update will cause the other OS any issues!

You might need an extra package called os-prober as well, to identify the Windows partition. Then, run the commands above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement