Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bike for around town with a 1+ year old on the back?

Options
  • 16-08-2016 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Looking to stick the young lad on the back of a bike with me for trips to the shops/park etc... What would be the best? A Hybrid with child-seat attached, for example? Any other suggestions/considerations? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Strictly speaking, a bicycle with a step through frame would be most suitable as that avoids the risk of kicking the baby in the face as you dismount.

I've used a rear child seat with several types of bicycle (from road racing bike to Pashley ladies bike) and they were all fine, although the racing bike was a little less stable.

Think about what else you need to carry and how. A backpack may be right in the child's face.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    A backpack may be right in the child's face.

I see this alot, where the seat is either too close (makes it more stable admittedly) and the adult has a backpack right in their kids face.

As Lumen said, any bike should do but I do find my wifes mixte a nice bike. It is also slightly on the small side for me so I am more upright, slower and can waddle with it far easier than my road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Ok, so anything commuting/trekking should do it, panniers maybe needed... good point about the step-through and backpack (might get him to carry it so!!1!!), thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Bullitt Cargo Bike - highly recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Strictly speaking, the child isn't on the back of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

omri wrote: »
    Bullitt Cargo Bike - highly recommended :)

Ah, yes, have seen a few of them around and wondered what they were, look very good.

Advertisement