Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick after 6pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think just a general movement of people from A-B in the evening is missing in Limerick. Whether they're going from the bus to their apartment, going for a walk, heading from the park to their apartment via the shop, etc. As already mentioned in numerous threads it's all down to a serious lack of people living in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

A lot of people have to go into town to go to pubs and clubs in the evening but that is about it, the rest of life is lived in the suburbs! Look at Castletroy, nearly 40,000 people in one suburb, very few restaurants, late bars or bars at all and no night clubs anymore. It couldn't be to hard to entice a few of them into town. Its time we accepted that working and shopping are no longer things we go into town for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I have lived in Cork City Centre, Dublin City Centre and the suburbs of Limerick at various points. Nowadays I live in Limerick City Centre, and it's the best place I've ever lived.

There's a hell of a lot more going on than most people think. It would be great if more people took the plunge and lived here, because that would make it more vibrant and lead to an increase in what's on offer. The problem though is that the accommodation offering in the city is woeful. There are few options besides very shoddily built modern, poky apartment blocks, or old crumbling Georgian buildings (I live in one of those, but it's in good nick). There are few exceptions. Until that changes we won't get many people living in the city centre, and it'll be quiet after 6pm.

In saying that, what's wrong with quiet after 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Mc Love wrote: »
    Galway is more town like - go to Dublin after 6 and its mostly if not the very same

That's just not true, Dublin city centre is alive with activity almost 24 hours. Fashion shops generally close around 7pm. Groceries 10pm and after and many convenience shops are open 24 hours. On Thursdays fashion retailers will open till 9 or 10pm. A lot of cafés still close at 7 but there's a few open until 11 and Starbucks is 24 hour. Bars and restaurants are hopping generally.

Limerick built too many suburbs too fast and let the central area rot, perhaps an over reaction to the particularly harsh days of slums in the city centre.

• Advertisement

dave 27 wrote: »
    What else do Irish cities have after 6pm? I'm living in the centre of Dublin and the only difference is there's a couple of city centre cinemas to go to and more theatres, pubs and restaurants are always going to be busy in limerick and the cities

That's quite a lot actually, throw in Dublin's late night supermarkets and the residential density within the City Centre. There are parts of Dublin that are dead out of hours. Around Merrion sq etc. where there are only offices.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Limerick built too many suburbs too fast and let the central area rot, perhaps an over reaction to the particularly harsh days of slums in the city centre.

The suburbs were built as a response to the decision to locate large educational, industrial and health institutions well outside the city. I don't think we'd have much in Castletroy if the University wasn't built there in the early 70's. Similarly, if the regional hospital wasn't built where it is, then Raheen wouldn't be anything like what it is now. In both suburbs there's also large industrial parks. And the much-maligned Crescent Shopping Centre fits into the equation somewhere too.

All these things have contributed hugely to the flight of people from the city centre. Fixing the problem is certainly a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

The centre of Dublin isn't any more dense than limerick, both have Georgian centres with dense residential around it's dockland and river areas so there isn't any difference there only that there's more shopping centres in the centre which can draw more people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's been mentioned across other threads before but I believe that the Crescent, and the decision to expand it, is one of the worst things to happen the city centre. By it's nature, the convenience of it (roofed, free parking, shops close together) makes it a lot more appealing for the majority of people to do their shopping. A previous poster referred to late-night shopping on a Thursday in the city centre; I don't know if this exists, but it seems to be thriving out in the Crescent. If this option wasn't there, people would have to go to the city centre - there isn't much we can do about that now only hope that the council can entice shops back into the city with lower rates, etc.

More (in particular high-quality) shops open at later hours would go some way to increasing footfall. The living situation is another matter, of course.

dave 27 wrote: »
    The centre of Dublin isn't any more dense than limerick, both have Georgian centres with dense residential around it's dockland and river areas so there isn't any difference there only that there's more shopping centres in the centre which can draw more people

I would have to disagree, Dublin's Georgians are actually full of people and the Georgian building isn't as dominant as it is in Limerick there is more modern development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Oh sorry I thought you meant density of buildings with building heights (aka potential capacity) not actually whats being occupied.
    Still tho if you look at the areas around riverpoint, the strand, all those new ones by the park and all those blocks of apartments where steamboat quay is and mt kennett place and all those blocks by Harvey's quay etc there still is a fair bit of density there, more so than the likes of cork or Galway, I think Galway only have 3 story buildings for most of the centre of the town which is still baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Completely agree with this.. the cresent expanding is another nail in the coffin for the city center. The council talk about promoting and improving the city center, but this expansion doesnt seem to be backing that up.. maybe there are other reasons why they cant!

Uber opening in the city center is a great plus. There is a need for more companies like this to establish themselves int he center of the city. Have jobs in the city center, people will live there, developers will see the interest in property in the city and build, renovate etc... maybe its too simplistic a view...

It's been mentioned across other threads before but I believe that the Crescent, and the decision to expand it, is one of the worst things to happen the city centre. By it's nature, the convenience of it (roofed, free parking, shops close together) makes it a lot more appealing for the majority of people to do their shopping. A previous poster referred to late-night shopping on a Thursday in the city centre; I don't know if this exists, but it seems to be thriving out in the Crescent. If this option wasn't there, people would have to go to the city centre - there isn't much we can do about that now only hope that the council can entice shops back into the city with lower rates, etc.

More (in particular high-quality) shops open at later hours would go some way to increasing footfall. The living situation is another matter, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Galway is more town like - go to Dublin after 6 and its mostly if not the very same

What planet is this Dublin that you visited on?

Deary me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭gw80

Pretty much the same issues here in Waterford,
    Bad planning during the boom time has almost killed the city centre.
    Waterford and limerick were always manufacturing based city's so over the years as manufacturing in Ireland lost out to cheaper countries this left city's like limerick and Waterford behind the curve, whereas at the same time Galway was underrepresented so the "squeaky wheel got the oil "which now puts Galway ahead of the curve now,

I do believe that according to the government there are only three city's in Ireland worth focusing on, Dublin, cork and Galway

20 years ago Waterford was bigger than Galway and I could see it surpassing limerick in another 20,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

gw80 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same issues here in Waterford,
    Bad planning during the boom time has almost killed the city centre.
    Waterford and limerick were always manufacturing based city's so over the years as manufacturing in Ireland lost out to cheaper countries this left city's like limerick and Waterford behind the curve, whereas at the same time Galway was underrepresented so the "squeaky wheel got the oil "which now puts Galway ahead of the curve now,

I do believe that according to the government there are only three city's in Ireland worth focusing on, Dublin, cork and Galway

20 years ago Waterford was bigger than Galway and I could see it surpassing limerick in another 20,

What is the actual population of Waterford, including the parts that are in Kilkenny/Wexford?

Both cities share a lot in common but the presence of UL in the city has been its lifeblood, just not in the city centre, most of the companies that have set up here in the last 5 years are here because of the access to graduates...this is something the South East needs to address and fight for...it took a lot of pressure locally over a sustained period of time to achieve that university, including marches...have a multiple local authority presence has been damaging to both cities, and Cork it must be said, whose population is way above its official population.

Galway, by virtue of its planning culture, has done serious damage to itself, it cannot sustain a population growth....

What is the actual population of Waterford, including the parts that are in Kilkenny/Wexford?

Both cities share a lot in common but the presence of UL in the city has been its lifeblood, just not in the city centre, most of the companies that have set up here in the last 5 years are here because of the access to graduates...this is something the South East needs to address and fight for...it took a lot of pressure locally over a sustained period of time to achieve that university, including marches...have a multiple local authority presence has been damaging to both cities, and Cork it must be said, whose population is way above its official population.

Galway, by virtue of its planning culture, has done serious damage to itself, it cannot sustain a population growth....

I suppose it's around the 60,000 mark including south Kilkenny

There has been a campaign in Waterford for the past thirty years to establish a university here, every political party has promised to deliver it when in power, but only when looking for votes and never actually deliver,

Recently WIT has been fighting with Carlow IT to resist being forced into a Micky mouse technological university, there's plenty of conversing about that on both the Waterford and Carlow sections here on boards,

Just rereading your post there, and you have hit on an interesting point about UL being essential to the employment opportunities it has brought,

Some people on the Waterford university discussion thread have argued that the establishment of a university in Waterford would not be employment golden egg that the people of Waterford think it would be,
    It's interesting to get someone from limericks point of view on the subject.
    I may have to quote you the next time the discussion kicks of again (and it will),
    Or better again I might invite you over the next time and drag you into the argument ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Dublin city centre is not dead after 6pm - it's constantly buzzing which would be expected from a capital city of it's population. Temple Bar is full of life day and night everyday of the week - not sure how a previous poster can claim the city dies after 6pm.
    As for Galway it's probably not the best place to use as a comparison for Limerick as they are two very different cities - Galway centre is town like and quaint which plays to it's favor as this is what most tourists envisage an Irish town to be giving the place a charm and ambience .
    Limerick city centre is grander than the other cities & represents a typical city with it's long wide Georgian streets in a grid layout - probably the best architecture of all the cities outside Dublin. The most obvious potential tourist trap in the city is Nicholas street which surprisingly is completely overlooked. It could be Limericks Shop street or Temple bar - paint the buildings in quaint colors, pedestrianize and cobble the street and fill it with bars and restaurants that leads up to a 13th-century castle something the other cities don't have. However what does exist is a dilapidated run down street that people avoid.

There's no doubt Limericks image problem is one of the main reasons for the obvious lack of tourists & people not having a desire to visit the city for a weekend away.
    I was speaking to someone from Carlow who came to Limerick to visit a friend last year and I asked did they like it, he replied that he wouldn't be gone on Limerick as it's a bit rough. I probed more and questioned if he felt the pubs he visited were rough but his experience of the nightlife was good but because the city has a rough reputation it put him off - I can honestly say this is the usual type of opinion I get from people's thoughts on Limerick.
    Another thing I've observed is the lack of pride from Limerick people in their city. Most of the time they're the first to slag the place before anyone else - this generally doesn't happen with the other cities either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Dublin city centre is not dead after 6pm - it's constantly buzzing which would be expected from a capital city of it's population. Temple Bar is full of life day and night everyday of the week - not sure how a previous poster can claim the city dies after 6pm.
    As for Galway it's probably not the best place to use as a comparison for Limerick as they are two very different cities - Galway centre is town like and quaint which plays to it's favor as this is what most tourists envisage an Irish town to be giving the place a charm and ambience .
    Limerick city centre is grander than the other cities & represents a typical city with it's long wide Georgian streets in a grid layout - probably the best architecture of all the cities outside Dublin. The most obvious potential tourist trap in the city is Nicholas street which surprisingly is completely overlooked. It could be Limericks Shop street or Temple bar - paint the buildings in quaint colors, pedestrianize and cobble the street and fill it with bars and restaurants that leads up to a 13th-century castle something the other cities don't have. However what does exist is a dilapidated run down street that people avoid.

There's no doubt Limericks image problem is one of the main reasons for the obvious lack of tourists & people not having a desire to visit the city for a weekend away.
    I was speaking to someone from Carlow who came to Limerick to visit a friend last year and I asked did they like it, he replied that he wouldn't be gone on Limerick as it's a bit rough. I probed more and questioned if he felt the pubs he visited were rough but his experience of the nightlife was good but because the city has a rough reputation it put him off - I can honestly say this is the usual type of opinion I get from people's thoughts on Limerick.
    Another thing I've observed is the lack of pride from Limerick people in their city. Most of the time they're the first to slag the place before anyone else - this generally doesn't happen with the other cities either.

The state of the city center does not help that impression. Nor does the lack of a garda presence in the city center. Can't remember the last time I saw a cop walk around Limerick.

The litter around town is also a disgrace imo. Walking down Cruises Street, Bedford Row and O'Connell Street on Monday and it was filthy. Rubbish from fast food outlets outside there own door and it just left there, they should be made to pick it up. Similarly outside Dealz on Bedford Row, a big wholesale box for some breakfast cereal just left there. Similarly around the Milk market and the Quays..areas that have had money spent on them not being maintained. Even someone to spray the weeds or pull them down by the river and on the pathways around the Shannon bridge would help.

I really feel the traders in the city have a lot to answer for as well. Some of the buildings and shop fronts really need a lick of paint and / or a good clean. Standards are low for the most part in this regard.

First impressions last and the city center does not make a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

To be fair, a lot of businesses have lovely hanging baskets outside their premises this summer too.

But litter is a serious blight all over the city. No amount of bins or cleaners will stop the scrotes from throwing their rubbish where they like.

Like most problems, it goes back to rearing and education. And Limerick seems to have a disproportionate share of feral scuts roaming the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bambi wrote: »
    What planet is this Dublin that you visited on?
    Deary me.

Earth - Large areas of Dublin city center can be quite at night.

That's one street/tourist drop off. Hardly the whole city as it is spread out much like Limerick. You'll find the area's that are most busy are the ones such as Denmark st etc as they have numerous bars/nightclubs/fast food outlets.

I think the litter problem is a red herring and a bit of a distraction from bigger issues. It's there, but it's not the reason we have many ugly streets. The bigger issues are maintenance of old buildings, very tacky and cheap new buildings (especially in prime spots in the city), poor planning and design when it comes to signage particularly, car dominated and very pedestrian and cycling unfriendly streets and an over-proliferation of street clutter. On the last point, Lower Thomas Street, Little Catherine Street and around there are new public realm developments that are seriously undermined by the signage and clutter (too many unsightly road signs, bollards, ill-fitting street furniture, etc). Same goes for the work on the quays. But what can we expect when the Council doesn't have an executive role (i.e. city architect) for somebody who actually is professionally trained in this area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's one street/tourist drop off. Hardly the whole city as it is spread out much like Limerick. You'll find the area's that are most busy are the ones such as Denmark st etc as they have numerous bars/nightclubs/fast food outlets.

Yeah If you made a point of wandering around the arse end of Pearse street or mountjoy square then its probably quiet but Dublin city center is a busy busy place at night. From O'Connell street to baggot street and the O' Sean Casey bridge to the Grattan Bridge you have lots of activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Exeggcute wrote: »
    To be fair, a lot of businesses have lovely hanging baskets outside their premises this summer too.

I think The Crescent (top of O'Connell street) really exemplifies this. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think the georgian buildings appear to be well maintained and the whole area seems to be quite tasteful up there. If only other streets could follow suit...

Not sure the litter is a red herring. Clean streets help first impressions.. Dirty streets add to the overall run down impression of the city. I see street cleaners early morning, rarely see them after that tbh. Do they clean it any other time of the day?

Not buying the hanging basket thing either. A small amount of premises look well but the rest are awful. Even Dunne's on henry street could do with a serious clean.. The stink of pee in the stair way is disgraceful The river side of that building also badly needs to be painted. Dunnes also contribute the sarsfield street beauty and the two empty units on O'Connell street..

Some of the more established brands on cruises street are shocking ..particularly boots and the back entrance to that other chemist by JD sports. Penny's building the same. None of these shops are really struggling..it doesn't cost that much to have a clean premises at least..at least paint the shop front. I could go on..the milk market area is a joke..not the market but the areas around it are generally filthy and unwelcoming. And Patrick's st/ Ellen st etc..enough said.

The good is dwarfed by the rest IMO.

I think The Crescent (top of O'Connell street) really exemplifies this. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think the georgian buildings appear to be well maintained and the whole area seems to be quite tasteful up there. If only other streets could follow suit...

Some if them. The signage they get away with up there is a joke and really distracts from some fine buildings. It looks cheap and tacky because of the signage.

And while I am ranting.. It really is time to get rid of the strings of bulbs going across Shannon bridge.. They look awful day or night. Either do a proper job or take them down. Like cheap Christmas lights. Just another half added effort to cover up what is there.

Was a big failing of the 2020 bid IMO. Trying to cover up the dereliction with posters and slogans.. You can try and hide these things but they won't go away.. An ill thought out sticking plaster

Excellent posts there Vkid.

While we are on the subject of hanging baskets, some of these are put in locations where they are totally unsuitable. Sarsfield Bridge and Shannon Bridge being the prime examples. They look terrible on both. Sarsfield Bridge is one of the cities architectural gems, and these tacky things are hanging from them in summer time. And in winter time they are just ugly, large cast iron hooks. There's no thought given to the aesthetic. Same goes for Shannon Bridge. It's not the prettiest of bridges, but putting the hanging baskets on it is the equivalent of 'putting lipstick on a pig'.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

There's always a constant flow of people from O'Connell st, Westmoreland st to Grafton street in Dublin. Streets like South William & Wicklow st are also a hive of activity with bars like Castle lounge & Pygmalion busy most of the time. Dame street is always busy late into the night with people waiting & getting off buses - O'Connell street the same.
    The one thing I don't get in Limerick is why they moved any hub of activity by moving the bus stop from BT O'Connell street to the side of Debenhams - I think the plan to pedestrianise O'Connell st isn't a good idea. It's such a wide prominent street with little shops to attract footfall to really fill the area to create an atmosphere;after 6pm it would be eerily quiet without the constant flow of traffic.

I think the plan to pedestrianise O'Connell st isn't a good idea. It's such a wide prominent street with little shops to attract footfall to really fill the area to crate an atmosphere;after 6pm it would be eerily quiet without the constant flow of traffic.

You think traffic gives atmosphere to a street?

While there are many factors at play, generally, traffic sucks the life blood out of streets.

Making O'Connell Street pedestrian and cycling friendly and generally a nice place to be will result (if done right) in increased footfall and more shops opening and greater vibrancy.

• Advertisement

Not really, even as far out as Smithfield/Stoneybatter is quite buzzy most of the nights. There may be the odd quiet street but really we're talking in general.

Advertisement