Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick after 6pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Comparing Limerick to Dublin is a joke. I've seen more people on one street in Dublin after 9pm on a weekend night than would be in the whole of Limerick streets at the same time. There are 10 pubs and 2 niteclubs on streets in Dublin and hundreds and thousands of people walking 6-7 deep around the town. The two cant be compared. Dublin is a cosmopolitan, bustling city with lots to see and do. There are pubs, clubs, shops, history, sporting events, huge stars coming to play gigs, conventions, a zoo, many cinemas and so on and so on.

Limerick is a small town. Only thing to do after 9pm is go to one of the same pubs and hear the same music or go to a niteclub and hear the same music you heard on SSW all day. Give the people things to do and they will use the town. Imelda May at the castle was a nice thought but again was catered for a certain audience (the only audience ever catered for in this town). The concerts in Thomond Park have dried up. The rugby team are playing ****. We lost the 2020 bid. If your not into Nancy's or the Icon or shows at the limetree there is f**k all to do.

The city centre is dead. How much more money/effort are they going to put into this dead horse? If they really want a bustling city centre they need to think outside the box. Hanging baskets and Corporate sponsored graffiti are about 25 years too late.

Maybe they should be thinking of Dooradoyle or Castletroy as the new centers of the city and stop trying to fight a losing battle. I hope they make the crescent way bigger and same with the horizon mall by TK Maxx. These are the only places bringing people from outside Limerick in week in and week out. As for the city centre all they are doing is trying to fix 2016 problems with year 2000 solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Agree with all of the above except the last paragraph. Limerick city centre is very fixable. It's not rocket science. The problem is that those that have the power to change things (Conn Murray, Pat Daly, Pat Dowling, Sheila Deegan, etc) just aren't the right people and are not capable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

As i posted in another thread all the cafes in thomas street were shutting up shop at 5.25pm on a Thursday and town buzzing.Only Starbucks the ones trying to stay open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I spent a day in Limerick lately, playing tourists.

One thing that hit me was that is is very easy to wander from the city centre into a rough-ish housing area pretty much by accident, in several different directions. Whereas in Galway, it's pretty much impossible to do, we keep our rough estates a good way out from town.

Based on that alone, I wouldn't be recommending any naive tourists pay a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Which roughish housing areas did you wander into?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Where were ya walking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

One thing that hit me was that is is very easy to wander from the city centre into a rough-ish housing area pretty much by accident, in several different directions. Whereas in Galway, it's pretty much impossible to do, we keep our rough estates a good way out from town.

Don't raise to the bait folks...we've another goochy on our hands!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

It's not exactly inaccurate in fairness. Limerick city is surrounded by rough estates in every direction.

Exeggcute wrote: »
    It's not exactly inaccurate in fairness. Limerick city is surrounded by rough estates in every direction.

Really? where are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Exeggcute wrote: »

The biggest threat to tourists safety is not "people from rough estates" it is Irish drunk people of all backrounds...

As someone who frequently walks/runs around all parts of the city centre I have never once felt in danger...the city centre is quiet large you'd have to be going on one hell of a walking tour to walk into areas where you don't feel safe!!...the posters statement reeks of s**tstirring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Garry123 wrote: »
    Really? where are they?

Just to name a couple you've St Marys Park down by the castle, Water gate flats next to the milk market and Hyde Rd next to train station and people's park.

Just to name a couple you've St Marys Park down by the castle, Water gate flats next to the milk market and Hyde Rd next to train station and people's park.

Are there any recorded incidences of naive tourists wandering into theses areas and getting mugged, murdered, kidnapped etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Are there any recorded incidences of naive tourists wandering into theses areas and getting mugged, murdered, kidnapped etc?

Over reacting a bit much aren't we with the murder and kidnapping. Couldn't tell you about Hyde Rd or watergate flats but I live in St Marys Park and yes tourists have been mugged before up around the castle/Mary St area or if they've walked down into the estate.

That's a pity but not a reason to not come to Limerick. Crime is a fact of life in all cities, except the utopia that is Galway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a shocking twist of logic. Are you honestly saying that you'd advise people not to visit this city just because you weren't able to pay attention to your own surroundings? :confused: That is bizarre. You didn't even have a bad experience in those places. I'd understand if you'd been mugged or witnessed something dodgy, but your criticism is based purely on the fact that you're nervous in unfamiliar estates.

The fact that you managed to do it on multiple occasions ("several different directions") should be a sign to you. The problem is you; not the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Back on topic: I saw that the new coffee shop in the old Tourist office by Arthurs Quay is opening until 9pm each night, so that's something. Now, put your money where your mouth is if you want it to stay open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol. Someone from Galway knocking someplace other than Galway, no real shock there, some of these people live in a goldfish bowl. The rest of the post is standard - my place is better than your place, playground dribble too. You also have to laugh at the comment also "we keep our rough estates a good way from the town." as if they planned it that way.

Incidentally a friend of mine a few years ago, was robbed of her purse and mobile phone at a bus stop in broad daylight close to Galway University, which is not a rough area. I guess I should start telling people not to go there now. Some real drama queens come out of the woodwork on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That's a pity but not a reason to not come to Limerick. Crime is a fact of life in all cities, except the utopia that is Galway.

Think I remember reading Limerick is one of the safest places in the country for tourists to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

One aspect of Limerick I love and am envious of is how they managed to take out the mob down there. Wish up here in Dublin we could emulate you guys. Kick out the organized criminals, Junkies & beggars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

KingBrian2 wrote:
    One aspect of Limerick I love and am envious of is how they managed to take out the mob down there. Wish up here in Dublin we could emulate you guys. Kick out the organized criminals, Junkies & beggars.

Well that's true, there are no criminals, junkies or beggars in limerick.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I've been invited to a stag in galway, it will be like trying to get BA baracus onto an air plane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I can attest as a Dubliner that we have all manner of thugs and scumbags up here. Never mind the tourists the rest of society have to put up with these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I blame our two most dodgy suburbs for bringing the city's image down.

Clare and Tipperary.

:)

In all seriousness though, the Galway, Limerick, Cork region needs to come on strong and provide relief to Dublin, we need that Motorway and need competent local government. It's amazing nationally also that we've had a lot of political heavy hitters come from Limerick over the past while, but still unfulfilled leadership potential and poorer results than these people are capable of.

Ed Walsh kicked arse for Limerick and for this region and we have a strong university as a result which we can leverage but we have a right poisonous culture within regional strategic thinking in this city. So many with the paw out for public cash for piss poor performance, take regeneration as an example. Scandalous. And an awful attitude amongst trade unions who f*ck over their younger members in favour of their older members, yet blame government. We can't continue to have 40%+ GDP come from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I have walked around the centre of Limerick loads of times during the day and night and i never ended up in any so called rough or dodgy area.In fact i have never had an ounce of trouble in Limerick in all my visits there.A lot of tourists that come to Limerick end up loving the place but i guess you can't please everyone.Im sure the people of Limerick will get over the trauma of their city not being good enough for you in good time.;) The rest of us will continue to enjoy and appreciate Limerick for the great city that it is.btw.In several different directions you say.Sounds like you went on a proper magical mystery tour.Just south of the O'Connell statue you have the O'Connell Avenue area.West of Sarsfield Bridge you have the Ennis Road.Both of those places are very nice just off the city centre locations.I guess those areas weren't one of the several different directions you wandered into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think so. Assumpta Park and the Island Road are between the castle and St Mary's Park. If you walked the wrong way from the castle and ended up there, you'd find yourself in a pleasant looking residential area, realise you had taken a wrong turn and head back in the other direction before finding yourself somewhere 'scary.'

And while Watergate flats are right next to the Milk Market, it's a small enough group of flats one one side of a small enough market with commercial building all on the other side. If you can't figure out right away that you've taken a wrong turn and immediately go back to the commercial area of town, you shouldn't be outside the house alone. Hyde Park is close to the station yes, but no-one walking out of the station will see busy Parnell St on their right and the park on their left and think the best way to get to town would be to turn their back on those and walk up the clearly residential street behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An File wrote: »
    That's a shocking twist of logic. Are you honestly saying that you'd advise people not to visit this city just because you weren't able to pay attention to your own surroundings? :confused: That is bizarre. You didn't even have a bad experience in those places. I'd understand if you'd been mugged or witnessed something dodgy, but your criticism is based purely on the fact that you're nervous in unfamiliar estates.

The fact that you managed to do it on multiple occasions ("several different directions") should be a sign to you. The problem is you; not the city.

Eh, where did I say I felt unsafe???

I said that it's very easy to wander into rough-looking areas from the city centre. I didn't do it: I have enough cop-on to realise what's around me, and when to change direction. I've also lived here for long enough to recognise the signs. But some of my friends who've come as tourists are not so street-wise. I wouldn't be recommending Limerick to them, or to people whose cop-on I'd not been able to gauge. Just in case.

Re where - I did indeed go on a magical mystery tour around the city centre. Not the bus-station, but yes the castle and the milk-market areas.. I also thought that Howley's Quay just feels like a place to avoid if it was just a little later (was there just before 6pm).

Some of ye seem a bit insecure. FWIW, I think that Limerick is larger than Galway, and far more city-like. The population difference is gerrymandered bollox. Limerick is somewhere I visit when I want a bit of big-city-feeling, but with a shorter bus journey than to Dublin. Of course the city has crime. Galway (where I live now, but now where I'm from) does, too. That doesn't make it bad. But there are certain challenges you face re increasing tourism, and those dodgy fringes are one of them.

BTW, the city centre dies from 5:30, not 6. I was surprised at how many shop-staff were leaving their premises right on the dot of 5:30pm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some of ye seem a bit insecure.

Quality. :rolleyes:
    I said that it's very easy to wander into rough-looking areas from the city centre. I didn't do it: I have enough cop-on to realise what's around me, and when to change direction. I've also lived here for long enough to recognise the signs. But some of my friends who've come as tourists are not so street-wise. I wouldn't be recommending Limerick to them, or to people whose cop-on I'd not been able to gauge. Just in case.

That's almost worse, to be honest. Not only are you advising people to avoid Limerick city just because some residential areas look rough around the edges, and in the absence of any outstanding event or incident, you're doing so despite the fact that you didn't even see those areas up close yourself.

Your tourist friends must be awfully delicate little snowflakes.

You also said the following:
    Whereas in Galway, it's pretty much impossible to do, we keep our rough estates a good way out from town

...which is a fairly obnoxiously bold display of snobbery on your part, it must be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

FWIW, I think that Limerick is larger than Galway, and far more city-like. The population difference is gerrymandered bollox. Limerick is somewhere I visit when I want a bit of big-city-feeling, but with a shorter bus journey than to Dublin.

BOOM!!!! There it is. Something we have going for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

I was in the city centre yesterday and with the good weather it was nice and chilled, not too many shops open but still people relaxing outside the cafés on Thomas Street. It was nice and with the fine weather it felt like I could have been in any small city in Europe, quite a few tourists around also which was great to see too!

Advertisement