Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 32 too old to study medicine?

Options
  • 16-08-2016 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am currently considering going back to studying medicine and will be 32 if successful when the course starts. I currently am in the healthcare field so the course would only need to be 4 years. I am getting married next year and we would be looking to start a family, my fiancé is happy to support me, just looking for some opinions and advice and if anyone has done this to share their experiences!

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi,

I am currently considering going back to studying medicine and will be 32 if successful when the course starts. I currently am in the healthcare field so the course would only need to be 4 years. I am getting married next year and we would be looking to start a family, my fiancé is happy to support me, just looking for some opinions and advice and if anyone has done this to share their experiences!

Thanks a million.

I met a chap in UCC who was over from the US to study medicine. He was 31 and he said he found there was a lot to it but he almost felt like he had an advantage because he didn't need to go out doing the whole socializing thing as he had it all out of his system.

Kids are a big factor in terms of time. I can't comment on Medicine because I don't know what's involved but I'm doing Law and trying to balance the workload can be tricky between Kids, part-time work and study. If you can afford not to work you're well on your way.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wiclowliving

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I met a chap in UCC who was over from the US to study medicine. He was 31 and he said he found there was a lot to it but he almost felt like he had an advantage because he didn't need to go out doing the whole socializing thing as he had it all out of his system.

Kids are a big factor in terms of time. I can't comment on Medicine because I don't know what's involved but I'm doing Law and trying to balance the workload can be tricky between Kids, part-time work and study. If you can afford not to work you're well on your way.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks for this, a part time job would definitely be a necessity, so I can imagine it would be difficult with kids as well. I would imagine law is similar in terms of workload and difficulty so it's good to hear your experience. Hopefully you think it is worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Thanks for this, a part time job would definitely be a necessity, so I can imagine it would be difficult with kids as well. I would imagine law is similar in terms of workload and difficulty so it's good to hear your experience. Hopefully you think it is worth it?

If you love what your studying it's half the battle. Part time jobs are potential banana skins imo....unless you're working in the relevant field.

When do you find out your entry exam results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

My OH went into GEM at 26. Many in her class were people in their thirties and a few older. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

32 is not too old. You'll have an stable, high paid career by the time you're 36 or 37.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Would he have the career by then though? I dunno, might take a while first after graduation. But I agree age and whether it's too old is kinda a strange thing to focus on, makes no difference what age a person is when studying something - but having children during the years of study and interning and then trying to find work... that would be very tough. Doable though.

Advertisement