Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rome - recommend restaurants that cater for more 'Irish' tastes?

• 16-08-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone,

First off, let me just say to the people that are horrified by the title of this thread - this is NOT for me! I love authentic Italian food and I agree that there is no point in going to Italy if you're going to eat like you're at home.

HOWEVER... we're getting married in Rome next year and pizza and pasta and octopus salad won't fly with certain older members of our families who haven't done much travelling and aren't as well-versed in worldly cuisines. You could argue that in a city like Rome there's not much point in going out in that case, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a restaurant that would perhaps cater for plainer tastes AS WELL as standard Italian fare. We're looking for somewhere to bring our families for a meal the night before the wedding and don't want to end up getting pub grub in an Irish pub - that's a bit too depressing for me!

We're going over in a couple of months to check out a few places that might suit, so if anyone can recommend any restaurants along those lines before then, it'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

not all Italian food is pasta or octopus, as you know. You can just go to a steakhouse or someplace like that if you want guaranteed meat and spuds. You're probably not going to find anywhere that does "authentic italian" plus "irish carvery-style roast joint, overcooked veg and spuds"!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RomeWeddingGal

Hi RGDATA,

Thanks for the reply.

That's along the lines of what I'm looking for. I've been to Italy many times myself and know you won't get anything like a carvery or boiled bacon and cabbage - and that's not what I'm looking for (I'd go to the aforementioned Irish pub if that was the case).

Basically I'm looking for recommendations for a normal Italian restaurant that also has dishes like chicken and steak on the menu. Myself and my fiancé are both vegetarian, so a steakhouse might not be the best option for us!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Can't help with restos recommendation, as it has been (too) long since I was in Rome.
    However there are several traditional meat and even veggie (carciofi, fiori di zucca) Roman dishes:
    • Saltimbocca
    • Coda alla vaccinara
    • Abbacchio
    • Trippa
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_cuisine#Dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RomeWeddingGal

Thanks Otnomart. I guess I'm looking to actually check out places when we're over there to see what they're like, how big they are, whether they'd be suitable for a party of 15-20 people, etc., as well as the food issue.

Thanks anyway, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I cant offer any specific recommendations, but any Italian restaurant I've been to has always had regular meaty dishes as their mains (i.e. nearly always steak available) and often half the daily specials being regular (non pizza pasta, rare looking tapas) with the pizza and pasta or rare looking tapas being considered as a sort of starter.

One thing I've seen with Italian restaurants too is that the wine is for next to nothing, as is mineral water, but the prices for beer can be Temple bar prices (beer is seen as a new trending drink and exotic it seems).
    If youre offering free booze, with small numbers it mightn't matter so much, but sticking with the house wine would be definitely the most economical option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement