Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap pints?

Options
  • 16-08-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hello hello, I'm heading down to Galway on Thursday for a week and was just wondering what places do the cheapest pints and on what day, I usually drink Guinness or beer,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Hello hello, I'm heading down to Galway on Thursday for a week and was just wondering what places do the cheapest pints and on what day, I usually drink Guinness or beer,
    Thanks

Think McSwiggans (beside the Hole in the Wall) is still €3.50 for a pint of Guinness.

Two good choices depending on the type of place you're looking for. Hole in the Wall is generally younger, student type clientèle. McSwiggans is a bit older, but would have a good spread of ages. They do good food too.

If you're heading down the West, the Old Forge was always know for having the cheapest pint in town. It's a real locals pub. You'll get looks when you walk in but I've always found them welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Old Forge has been closed for months. Schwanky new wine bar being built there as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Guinness is better in McSwiggans than the Hole in the Wall. The hole seem to have raised their prices until the students are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The Old Forge has been closed for months. Schwanky new wine bar being built there as we speak.

Oh no. That's a shame. Now that you mention it, I did notice it was closed the last time I passed but thought it was just temporary.

That's the end of some kind of era. You could see people outside having a smoke at any time of the day or night. Manys a morning it looked suspiciously occupied at 9am :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Buy a 2ltr bottle of scrumpy and go down to the spanish arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Oh no. That's a shame. Now that you mention it, I did notice it was closed the last time I passed but thought it was just temporary.

That's the end of some kind of era. You could see people outside having a smoke at any time of the day or night. Manys a morning it looked suspiciously occupied at 9am :D

It could be a warm-hearted rumour but I *believe* they had one of the few early house licences in the City.

If you want the best Guinness in the city and in a nice pub head to Garavans, particularly if you are on your own you will get chatting to plenty of people there. Its around 4 euro a pint which isn't bad for a city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If you want the best Guinness in the city and in a nice pub head to Garavans

Not having that. The pint is only ok.

Best I've had (and the father also says the same) in the city centre and I've been to the majority of pubs. Our local also has the best Guinness in the country so we are a good judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Never been into Garavans so I'll defo try it out this time, do like the pints of Guinness in Neachtains, Tigh Coli, O'Connells, Richardsons and the Crane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hughes in Woodquay has an excellent pint, reasonable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want the best Guinness in the city and in a nice pub head to Garavans
    "Best" is not what OP asked about. Price seems to be key here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

I agree, McSwiggan's porter is the nicest.
    Garavan's do a pint of becks for €4 which is very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

If you're looking for craft beers, McGinn's in Woodquay is probably the best value. Very nice food there too and lovely pizza. The Galway Bay pubs seem to be increasing their prices every time I visit.

Advertisement