Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Unemployment - Been offered a chance to do a Masters

Options
  • 16-08-2016 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I've been unemployed for two years, and recently was given an opportunity to study a Masters. The problem is that this full-time masters wouldn't enable me to hold down a job, even assuming that I could find one.
    Will I still be able to claim unemployment or am I going to have to find alternative funding?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Once you start a full time masters you would no longer be eligible for a jobseekers payment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is a back to education scheme available but it only applies to undergraduate afaik.

My knowledge is 5 years old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is a back to education scheme available but it only applies to undergraduate afaik.

My knowledge is 5 years old though.

You cant get BTEA for a masters. There is a grant available but for Masters its not much. Its means tested and you can get either 2000 or upto 6270 paid on fees with no maintenance paid.

https://susi.ie/eligibility/postgraduate-student/postgraduate-income-thresholds-and-grant-award-rates/

However getting those grants has been difficult for many because the rules are so tight

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You cant get BTEA for a masters

That's what I said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The only Masters that qualifies for BTEA is the Masters in Education which was formerly the H.Dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm confused by your wording, OP. You were 'offered the chance' to do a masters? Surely there was an application procedure? Somebody didn't just stop you in the street with a 'fancy doing a masters? I have a spare place on one'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

endacl wrote: »
    I'm confused by your wording, OP. You were 'offered the chance' to do a masters? Surely there was an application procedure? Somebody didn't just stop you in the street with a 'fancy doing a masters? I have a spare place on one'.

Nothing the OP said would suggest what you are saying. You have confused yourself.

If the masters has an exit point at HDip level, you will be able to get the BTEA for it. Assuming you haven't missed the deadline, but I suspect most masters are not structured like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi, I've been unemployed for two years, and recently was given an opportunity to study a Masters. The problem is that this full-time masters wouldn't enable me to hold down a job, even assuming that I could find one.
    Will I still be able to claim unemployment or am I going to have to find alternative funding?
    Thanks.

Research or Taught?

Advertisement