Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lurcher shedding 'kennel coat'

• 16-08-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

My gorgeous lurcher seems to be shedding (LOADS!!) of her 'kennel coat' as she's a rescue. I've had her nearly two months. She gets brushed every day and so so much hair comes out especially from abover her tail, lower back.. I can pull little clumps out with my hand!

Would it be a bit much to get her 'kennel coat' shaved?! To speed up the process. Literally every time she walks down the all she leaves a trail of white hairs :)

Also, her nails are so long.. so so long, I had her nails trimmed about 6 weeks ago, shortly after we got her but would like to see if I could purchase a clipper and do it myself as they seem to grow super fast. If anyone can recommend a clipper I'd be very grateful! I can see the pink bit bit there's a good bit after the pink bit that could be trimmed.. or is it better to file dog nails?!

She does pound the pavement every day for approx 40 mins and runs every day in the garden (and digs up clumps of grass as she digs in!) but it doesn't seem to help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

raemie10 wrote: »
    My gorgeous lurcher seems to be shedding (LOADS!!) of her 'kennel coat' as she's a rescue. I've had her nearly two months. She gets brushed every day and so so much hair comes out especially from abover her tail, lower back.. I can pull little clumps out with my hand!

Would it be a bit much to get her 'kennel coat' shaved?! To speed up the process. Literally every time she walks down the all she leaves a trail of white hairs :)

Also, her nails are so long.. so so long, I had her nails trimmed about 6 weeks ago, shortly after we got her but would like to see if I could purchase a clipper and do it myself as they seem to grow super fast. If anyone can recommend a clipper I'd be very grateful! I can see the pink bit bit there's a good bit after the pink bit that could be trimmed.. or is it better to file dog nails?!

She does pound the pavement every day for approx 40 mins and runs every day in the garden (and digs up clumps of grass as she digs in!) but it doesn't seem to help.

There are numbers ways to prevent shedding… try adding salmon oil to her food… what dog food are you feeding her?
    Certain brands cause more shedding then others.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

cocker5 wrote: »
    There are numbers ways to prevent shedding… try adding salmon oil to her food… what dog food are you feeding her?
    Certain brands cause more shedding then others.

She is eating raw (raw chicken legs, wings, turkey drumsticks, lambs liver etc) for one meal and Royal Canin Adult (until the bag is gone!) (I never mix the raw and processed) and she gets fish oil added to food 2x week along with starflower oil and sometimes coconut oil.

Her hair is only coming out where the hair seems really thick, this is why I thought she may have kennel coat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

A Mars coat king will get all the dead coat out. The Royal Canin is poor quality food and the cereals may be causing her coat problems - if you don't want to waste it donate it to a local dog's home. Bringing her to a groomer for a proper bath and blast dry will get a lot of the coat out too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

God no don't shave her. That will ruin her coat. Just keep brushing out the dead coat & when she is in better condition it won't be so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,656 ✭✭✭✭fits

you'll get there eventually, dont shave it now, you'll be back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP if she was a rescue, god knows what her history was nutrition-wise, so the coat is probably growing out now, and will be replaced by a healthy coat now that you are raw feeding her.

A picture would be very nice - love the hairy lurchers!!

If you are confident that you can clip her nails yourself, there was a thread on here previously about which clippers are good, do a search. As long as you dont cut the pink - but you seem to know what you need to do - how would she be having her nails cut?

This was one that was recommended:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/c...lippers/126862

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional...clippers&psc=1

(from this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98775500

Did I mention a picture of your new girl would be lovely?!? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What type of coat does she have? Wirey and long in parts? Soft? Fluffy? Short like a Jack Russell? Lurchers come in a whole array of coat types!

This is a pretty good diagram when it comes to clipping nails: https://www.lovethatpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Nail-Trimming-Diagram.png

Lurchers do tend to have nails that appear long, even if they are a good length, one of the best ways to tell if they are too long is that you hear a "click" on smooth surfaces like tiles or wood as they walk.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement