Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Ride On Lawnmower

Options
  • 16-08-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I have been looking around for a replacement lawnmower for my lawnmower.

I am getting bambuzzled with differing sales pitches and would appreciate some advise from people on boards. I am looking for something in around 40 inch deck, 17 HP min with collection and mulcher kit.

I had seen the following:

VIKING MT 5112Z - Seems to be a deal on these, best being €3750. Twin cycliner machine, big deck, plenty of cutting power. Are these a good machine? A lawnmower mechanic told me that the new Vikings had quality issues, but a guy selling them tell me these are "ironed" out. 2 year warranty.

Honda HF 2417 HME - no bad reports... seems like a solid machine. 17 HP, honda twin cyclinder, mulcher, 40 inch desk. Bit more expensive than the rest. 2 year warranty.

Castelgarden - cheaper machine, maybe a bit softer than the others?

Simplicity Regent SRD100 €3600. Are these any good? Someone told me that they are grand for mulching, but not great on pick up.

Are Stiga any good?

I am getting a lot of differing stories from sales men. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

realtec wrote: »
    Hi, I have been looking around for a replacement lawnmower for my lawnmower.

I am getting bambuzzled with differing sales pitches and would appreciate some advise from people on boards. I am looking for something in around 40 inch deck, 17 HP min with collection and mulcher kit.

I had seen the following:

VIKING MT 5112Z - Seems to be a deal on these, best being €3750. Twin cycliner machine, big deck, plenty of cutting power. Are these a good machine? A lawnmower mechanic told me that the new Vikings had quality issues, but a guy selling them tell me these are "ironed" out. 2 year warranty.

Honda HF 2417 HME - no bad reports... seems like a solid machine. 17 HP, honda twin cyclinder, mulcher, 40 inch desk. Bit more expensive than the rest. 2 year warranty.

Castelgarden - cheaper machine, maybe a bit softer than the others?

Simplicity Regent SRD100 €3600. Are these any good? Someone told me that they are grand for mulching, but not great on pick up.

Are Stiga any good?

I am getting a lot of differing stories from sales men. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You should be able to get Viking for a bit less , the new ones are just fine. Castlegarden would also be ok but not as good as Viking imo. Honda you would imagine are a good machine

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

I see I can pick up an MT5112Z for €3200 up north with €80.. they say they offer 1 year warranty and will collect if issues. I am a little wary. Deal sounds good though.

Needles, you reckon the 5112z is bullet proof, no issues with yours? I have an older viking ride on and happy with it but time to trade in.

I see I can pick up an MT5112Z for €3200 up north with €80.. they say they offer 1 year warranty and will collect if issues. I am a little wary. Deal sounds good though.

Needles, you reckon the 5112z is bullet proof, no issues with yours? I have an older viking ride on and happy with it but time to trade in.
    My 5112z gave a problem with front belt failing (twice). Modified pulley was fitted and no issue since, all done under warranty. They are good but I would not accept 1 year warranty. Minimum if 2 surely . I had a mt6 previously and it never gave an issue in 8 years

Needles73 wrote: »
    My 5112z gave a problem with front belt failing (twice). Modified pulley was fitted and no issue since, all done under warranty. They are good but I would not accept 1 year warranty. Minimum if 2 surely . I had a mt6 previously and it never gave an issue in 8 years

This sounds a bit like what I heard about the machine. Maybe there were issues that have now been addressed with modifications.

This sounds a bit like what I heard about the machine. Maybe there were issues that have now been addressed with modifications.
    Yep it's been 100% since- I would try and buy from a more local to you dealer, if you leave another few weeks you may get one cheaper as end of season. €3600 or less.

• Advertisement

Needles73 wrote: »
    Yep it's been 100% since- I would try and buy from a more local to you dealer, if you leave another few weeks you may get one cheaper as end of season. €3600 or less.

Thanks Needles for the advice. I was kinda thinking of trying to see what I would get if I tried to flog my current machine on donedeal. I know I might get plagued with tyre kickers but sure nothing to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

I bought a Honda HF 2417 HME last month. €4,000.
    Happy out.

Advertisement