Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 minute interview - job already gone?

• 16-08-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I went for an interview today., the first one this summer despite 5 years experience.

I have spent the last 2 days preparing for it and my DH took the morning off to look after the kids so I could focus and get ready etc.

I get to the interview, am left waiting for 20 minutes then they take me in and there are 3 people in the room the DP, P and another person. I am asked 4 questions namely:
    1. Tell us how you got into teaching
    2. How are the kids finding project maths
    3. Why should we choose you for the job and
    4. What do you you know about the ethos of the school

and then it's so do you have any questions for us. I ask them about the number taking maths to LC HL and then when they expect to make a decision and am told a couple of days.

So as soon as I get out the door I am thinking that the job is already gone?
    Anyone else agree with me or have a different opinion? I am a bit gutted as it would be a nice school to work in and it would be my own hours after 5 years of maternity leaves etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

It does sound like it I'm afraid. Really feel for you, as I'm the same, barely any interviews and going into my third year qualified this year.

The fact that the questions were so general is a big one for me, I can't imagine how they could get a feel of the person with those. Very unfair towards you. I hope you get something soon, and don't give up. There's a lot of positive stories out there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 1612

Sounds like lots of interviews I have done . Either very very easy or very very hard.
    I have my 6th interview on Friday in Kilkenny .
    Hard to have confidence after so many set backs!!
    This is my 6th year teaching . To say its soul destroying is an understatement!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It doesn't sound great. Had similar myself, felt like they were going through the motions and not listening to my responses. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Totally soul destroying. I am amazed that this is still going on in this day and age - it's totally corrupt!!! The person who gets the job should be the best qualified and the process should be totally transparent to show that.

I am starting to wonder if the application system should be done by an independent government agency.

Teaching is completely corrupt in my opinion.
    There is zero transparency in regards interviews. Remember this is tax payers money.
    I rang the department about appealing an interview and my rights.
    to cut a long story short there is no obligation for a school to give feedback. Some may give feedback ifrequested but apart from that there is zero accountability. Hire who they like and they do not have to justify their selection.
    Experience or a 1.1 degree is not essential if you are in the know.
    Any principals children I know have never had long if ever without a job and I can think of st least 4 who were in my class in college and some barely passed college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

1612 wrote: »
    There is zero transparency in regards interviews. Remember this is tax payers money.
    to cut a long story short there is no obligation for a school to give feedback. Some may give feedback ifrequested but apart from that there is zero accountability. Hire who they like and they do not have to justify their selection.
    Any principals children I know have never had long if ever without a job and I can think of st least 4 who were in my class in college and some barely passed college.

That's really a very unfair generalisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I got a job in a VEC not knowing anyone, so I suppose I must be in the secret inner circle.

While I appreciate people are disappointed when they do not get a job, the bottom line is there is not enough jobs for the people looking for them, not a great web of conspiracy of Principals stuffing staffrooms with their offspring.

Yes, people are part-time for years in a school and yes, maybe they are looked at more favourably than someone 'new' or from outside when a job comes up, because the Principal knows their work and they fit in with the current staff, it's human nature, not a countrywide plot.

mod: Less of the generalisations please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Up the north most interviews are like that.

Those questions are quite open and would allow you to expound on them quite a bit.

Impossible to know the story but it is always important to just commit 100 per cent and go for it.

I would say that took longer than 10 minutes though surely.

I agree it is my opinion and it may be somewhat of a generalisation. I will freely admit I have friends who got jobs on merit and were complete outsiders so not every job goes to an insider not at all! Some people do get a job on merit which is great . but from my experience in schools in Ireland there is high levels of nepotism / corruption and I can only describe it as downright socially accepted corruption / nepotism!!
    Let me give some examples.
    A secondary school in Stillorgan I subbed in had the principals daughter employed (permanent) a nephew ( rpt) another nephew doing all the general subbing !!
    How can anybody in the right state of mind say there is not a conflict of interests in hiring your immediate family with tax payers funds??
    My wife a primary school teacher in south east . Her principal had her daughter employed ( permanent) she had another daughter newly qualified full time subbing. Now here is where it gets interesting . The principal started bullying a full time teacher over a long time to try get her out of the school for her newly qualified daughter!! It worked a permanent teacher gave up her job in 2012 after years of harassment . Union was involved but offered limited help . General advice from union If you fall out with a principal for whatever reason there is little they can do . Think about the reference and your future career!!
    Then there is the GAA player who are being told to do the dip as there is a job sorted before they even start the dip!!

I could go on with examples such as politicians \ priests on vec interview panels !?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

I agree it is my opinion and it may be somewhat of a generalisation. I will freely admit I have friends who got jobs on merit and were complete outsiders so not every job goes to an insider not at all! Some people do get a job on merit which is great . but from my experience in schools in Ireland there is high levels of nepotism / corruption and I can only describe it as downright socially accepted corruption / nepotism!!
    Let me give some examples.
    A secondary school in Stillorgan I subbed in had the principals daughter employed (permanent) a nephew ( rpt) another nephew doing all the general subbing !!
    How can anybody in the right state of mind say there is not a conflict of interests in hiring your immediate family with tax payers funds??
    My wife a primary school teacher in south east . Her principal had her daughter employed ( permanent) she had another daughter newly qualified full time subbing. Now here is where it gets interesting . The principal started bullying a full time teacher over a long time to try get her out of the school for her newly qualified daughter!! It worked a permanent teacher gave up her job in 2012 after years of harassment . Union was involved but offered limited help . General advice from union If you fall out with a principal for whatever reason there is little they can do . Think about the reference and your future career!!
    Then there is the GAA player who are being told to do the dip as there is a job sorted before they even start the dip!!

I could go on with examples such as politicians \ priests on vec interview panels !?

When there is a massive shortage of opportunities for employment in a sector, this is what happens.

Unfortunate, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

I got my own hours out of a ten minute interview in a vec a few years ago. I didn't know anyone within the vec. I had thought the same as you when I came out of the interview but got a call that night. Since the vec was hiring a lot of people they kept interviews short.

spurious wrote: »
    I got a job in a VEC not knowing anyone, so I suppose I must be in the secret inner circle..............[/B]

Perhaps VECs are less inclined to be run like family businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Some Vecs are possibly straight but a few are as corrupt as the length of a summers day in Norway.A colleague ,recently applied for an assistant principals post within a school,five of her colleagues of varying experiences and none applied. Before the interviews it was 'commom knowledge' who would get the post (and it wasnt the most appropriate candidate,as per all the guidelines out there).There was an appeals process and my colleague appealed and was more or less bullied by the 'legal' person hired by the VEC to fight their corner.She told the employer that it was disgraceful what had gone on but they had their mind made up and would not listen.Their decision stood.Perhaps we should take a look at the corruption that is presently going on at the Olympics,blatant carry on that has destroyed the hard work of so many sports people .Irish and other nationalities,and then look at the system we have in our schools ,in particular the recruitment of teachers.The pain felt by the various Olympians over the last few weeks is being felt by the job applicant teachers in Ireland for many a long year and it will go on indefinitely if people do not stand up and whistleblow.

As expected, I got the letter in the post today to say I had been unsuccessful but they will keep my details on file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Jane98 wrote: »
    As expected, I got the letter in the post today to say I had been unsuccessful but they will keep my details on file.

... in a filing cabinet :) Sorry I couldn't resist. I'm waiting on an unsuccessful letter aswell - probably get it tomorrow to have a good start to the weekend. Keep the chin up and try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Interviews should be standard across each candidate whereby the time allocation should be equal. Now if a candidate just answers every question with one word, it can be over very quickly but thats down to the candidate. Equally sometimes you have to shut up a candidate if they go on and on and on. I would disagree that a job is gone however it can be the case that someone is already in the school and doing a very good job at it hence they will have an edge, particularly in the case of year 2 CIDs. Also it can be the case that one of the candidates did work in the school in another capacity and is very good so unless another candidate shows themselves to be a better bet, then who in their right mind managing a school would pick someone else just for the sake of it. However also in that line, it gives a chance for a change if the person didn't perform well.
    I have mentioned many times here before and maybe its only when you sit on interview panels but the absolute crap people say in interviews and the amount of own goals scored would shock you. 70-80% of interview candidates rule themselves out very quickly to be honest. Showing the principal who is boss in an interview is about the biggest number 1 no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Why did it take you only 10 mins to answer those questions is what you should be asking yourself.

Icepick wrote: »
    Why did it take you only 10 mins to answer those questions is what you should be asking yourself.

Seriously? If you anticipate a lot more than 4 questions you do not want to spend more than an average 2.5 mins answering any one question.

I have done a fair amount of interviews up to now and I would say it is more usual to be asked between 15 and 20 questions, not just 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I've said it so many times here, and I'll say it again: there is zero research done on what the situation is for the entire profession and it is really important that basic things like the number of qualified teachers on part-time hours, and for long they've been on part-time hours, is revealed.

While I have little-to-no sympathy for teachers who go into teaching with subjects which are not in demand and expect to be given jobs without going back and getting qualified in more employable subjects, I have immense sympathy for what seems like thousands (again, no statistics) of teachers who are going into years 5/6/7/8/9/10 on part-time contracts where they are being strung along by managements who are determined to get as many hours of unpaid work out of part-time teachers who are eager to please.

That's a crazy number of years for anybody's life to be on hold. Mortgages, kids, everything. Life is way, way too short - even though people in their early 20s doing this part-time insecure work mightn't be as aware as older teachers just how fast life goes! (at least I wasn't that aware in my early 20s).

The teaching profession has been made into a two-tier mess directly because of government policy, not only with yellow pack Made-in-England so-called-"reform" employment conditions for those unfortunate enough to have joined after 2011 but for all the above teachers who have been part-time for years and years. The whole system is now at the stage where government policy has given school managements a vested interest in always keeping some teachers part-time, while universities have been given a vested interest in making even more millions by turning out graduates for this mess/export regardless of how suitable said graduates' subjects are for teaching.

Above all else, as long as this state avoids establishing a centralised recruitment system for teachers à la An Garda Síochána in Ireland or teaching in France, Spain, Germany, Italy and the majority of other EU countries this problem of unemployed and seriously underemployed teachers and teachers teaching subjects they are unqualified to teach is absolutely certain to perpetuate itself. (Locally recruited teacher systems versus centrally recruited teacher systems in the EU: in this 1991 study (p. 9) and this 2004 study (p. xiv) - I can't find a more recent study.)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

gaiscioch wrote:
    While I have little-to-no sympathy for teachers who go into teaching with subjects which are not in demand and expect to be given jobs without going back and getting qualified in more employable subjects, I have immense sympathy for what seems like thousands (again, no statistics) of teachers who are going into years 5/6/7/8/9/10 on part-time contracts where they are being strung along by managements who are determined to get as many hours of unpaid work out of part-time teachers who are eager to please.

I'm sorry but that's unfair, my subjects are English and history, I chose them because I love them and guess what I'm good at teaching them. I make no excuses for that.

Why should I have to go back and spend another few grand on subjects I'm not good at or passionate at.

No one should have to retrain, that's such an arrogant statement. The amount of graduates need to be capped.

• Advertisement

elsa21 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's unfair, my subjects are English and history, I chose them because I love them and guess what I'm good at teaching them. I make no excuses for that.

Why should I have to go back and spend another few grand on subjects I'm not good at or passionate at.

No one should have to retrain, that's such an arrogant statement. The amount of graduates need to be capped.

I would think being history only would be the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheDriver wrote: »
    I would think being history only would be the issue

English and History are a common enough combo for a lot of teachers though no?

it is common yes but also in fairly good demand due to English being a core subject and history going hand in hand with it. Couple this with resource generally requires an english teacher

gaiscioch wrote:

Capping graduates is a daft idea. A teaching qualification can be used in plenty of countries. I don't hear anyone talking about capping a profession when they are studying to join it. However some people seem fine pulling up a ladder.

Now if a person is un/underemployed for years and can't get a job in their subjects it is them that is being arrogant in not upskilling further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

That's the arrogant statement right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Agree with you totally
    That's really a very unfair generalisation.

What's said above is not actually a generalisation as the poster has written about what they have experienced. They haven't heaped all schools/principals into the same pile and swept over them with the same brush.

It is generalisation to suggest that all schools are like this, but it is the most serious case of delusion I've seen yet to suggest that none are.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was working in a school and a colleague of mine (who I team taught with) did not have her contract renewed due to lack of hours. Who replaced her? The principal's son. From team-teaching with him I got the stench of inexperience off him but put it down to the fact that he was probably just finished the dip or maybe even preparing himself for it. Neither. He needed the cash to save up for his big move to Australia. He was an engineer!

Now how in the hell can that be justified on any level? That was a VEC by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

So your saying he had no teaching qualifications at all??! Thats a crazy scenario if true, but I wouldnt be overly surprised. I have heard a lot of stories like this in primary and secondary schools, as a student teacher I know the score and how important it is to network with principals and boards of management.

You would want to be pretty naive to think that playing the game and networking through the GAA and Catholic Church with regard to teaching jobs was not an important part of job hunting. I know for me that both GAA connections and being a "Mass goer" got me my teaching practice school, which was beside me. I would say it may help when people are looking for jobs as QT also.

Dickie10 wrote: »

You would want to be pretty naive to think that playing the game and networking through the GAA and Catholic Church with regard to teaching jobs was not an important part of job hunting. I know for me that both GAA connections and being a "Mass goer" got me my teaching practice school, which was beside me. I would say it may help when people are looking for jobs as QT also.

Well it is not something to boast about as it will only draw ire upon yourself similar to the story above.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Dickie10 wrote: »
    So your saying he had no teaching qualifications at all??! Thats a crazy scenario if true, but I wouldnt be overly surprised. I have heard a lot of stories like this in primary and secondary schools, as a student teacher I know the score and how important it is to network with principals and boards of management.

You're totally right, do absolutely everything to maximise your chances and give yourself the edge, these things make all the difference. Involvement in local GAA club trumps being part of your local cycling club, being an avid mass goer trumps being head of your local atheist/humanist group regardless of the underlying skills and competencies gained. Giving the 'right' impression and having contacts matters greatly. Also try your very best to get an A grade in your teaching practice. Was told by a deputy principal very recently that their ETB were only shortlisting candidates for interview this year with an A in teaching practice.

• Advertisement

xtralong wrote: »
    Was told by a deputy principal very recently that their ETB were only shortlisting candidates for interview this year with an A in teaching practice.

Utterly daft metric for shortlisting. No surprise the ETB are using it.

Advertisement