Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 minute interview - job already gone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Utterly daft metric of shortlisting. No surprise the ETB are using it.

I have applied for numerous jobs and have never been asked for TP results.

I wonder what about the candidates that 'mistype' their TP result? Does that mean IF offered the job and qualifications are checked and the results don't match that your offer of employment would be terminated? (Just to note, I don't condone this but wondering what would happen if someone did it? Obviously if someone has been offered work - does a TP mark matter then?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Dickie10 wrote: »
    So your saying he had no teaching qualifications at all??!

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. He had either done a weekend TEFL course or was planning to do one before he went to Australia and I think his plan was to stop off along the way and teach English for a bit, but yeah, he was an engineer.

Also, he used to smoke in the school yard during his periods off and could be seen by students going class to class or from classroom windows which has nothing to do with the story really but I always felt it said a lot about his attitude towards young people

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

That's the arrogant statement right there

Fair enough capping was probably unfair of me to say, but something needs to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well I notice a similar theme here. Schools who don't care about failed applicants and job interviewees.

I attended a job interview in a Dublin school for my subjects on Friday. Was told at the end of the interview that the job would start on Tuesday (tomorrow) and they would be in touch on Monday. Guess what? Not a peep from them. Left over the weekend wondering if I had gotten it or not. Most likely told the successful applicant to start and didn't bother telling the rest.

Should I ring them up and tell the school it's not good enough, or am I wasting my time. The secretary was very rude upon arrival too incidentally so if I get through to her than I reckon I might be.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Well I notice a similar theme here. Schools who don't care about failed applicants and job interviewees.

I attended a job interview in a Dublin school for my subjects on Friday. Was told at the end of the interview that the job would start on Tuesday (tomorrow) and they would be in touch on Monday. Guess what? Not a peep from them. Left over the weekend wondering if I had gotten it or not. Most likely told the successful applicant to start and didn't bother telling the rest.

Should I ring them up and tell the school it's not good enough, or am I wasting my time. The secretary was very rude upon arrival too incidentally so if I get through to her than I reckon I might be.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother - you're the one who will be upset if you get a bad reception from the secretary because they she will probably madden you further. Also principals know each other and you could get a bad name.

Principals are extremely bad mannered that they don't get back to unsuccessful/unshortlisted candidates and maybe a letter to their organisation would be better. I had to ring a few schools last week enquiring about posts I had applied for during the summer. When I was told that the position was filled, I just said thank you and keep me in mind for any substitution that may arise during the year.

• Advertisement

If it were me, I wouldn't bother - you're the one who will be upset if you get a bad reception from the secretary because they she will probably madden you further. Also principals know each other and you could get a bad name.

Principals are extremely bad mannered that they don't get back to unsuccessful/unshortlisted candidates and maybe a letter to their organisation would be better. I had to ring a few schools last week enquiring about posts I had applied for during the summer. When I was told that the position was filled, I just said thank you and keep me in mind for any substitution that may arise during the year.

I don't see how I would get a bad name if I just remind them that they said they'd let me know. It is really poor form on the school's part and responding to the issue with silence will likely mean they will continue to do it.

I don't see how I would get a bad name if I just remind them that they said they'd let me know. It is really poor form on the school's part and responding to the issue with silence will likely mean they will continue to do it.

Well it's likely you won't be considered for subbing work that could occur. Principals ring principals when looking for teachers at short notice - if you did well in the interview - they will keep your CV on file and pass it on.

I know it's difficult after submitting an application and attending interview but think of yourself as the better person and let it go. It usually takes a week to get the letter of regret. I once got a letter after a month :)

Well it's likely you won't be considered for subbing work that could occur. Principals ring principals when looking for teachers at short notice - if you did well in the interview - they will keep your CV on file and pass it on.

I know it's difficult after submitting an application and attending interview but think of yourself as the better person and let it go. It usually takes a week to get the letter of regret. I once got a letter after a month :)

I don't mind the letter of regrets but given the short notice of the interview combined with being so close to the start of the school year you'd think that they'd let you know by phone.

I know if I was a principal I would be ashamed to treat a teacher like that.

I don't mind the letter of regrets but given the short notice of the interview combined with being so close to the start of the school year that they'd let you know by phone.

I know if I was a principal I would be ashamed to treat a teacher like that.

I've had a lot of interviews and I only recall one phone call to say that I was unsuccessful. I don't think principals ring unsuccessful candidates because 1. No one wants to disappoint anyone and 2. The unsuccessful candidate may question the principal for reasons why they were not unsuccessful.

I agree with you, if I were a principal, I would like to let candidates know asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

elsa21 wrote: »
    my subjects are English and history, I chose them because I love them and guess what I'm good at teaching them. I make no excuses for that.
    That's cool, good for you. I love ancient Greek folk music, but I also love eating so I learned other skills too.
    No one should have to retrain, that's such an arrogant statement.
    So people should ignore supply and demand, study what they love, and the world will conspire to provide them with a dream job for life?
    The amount of graduates need to be capped.
    Hang on. So I should study what I love, but if I love teaching then shouldn't be allowed to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I think elsa has some merit in her comments, its no harm to pursue the subjects you like and are good at. I would love to be good at maths, sciences etc , in demand subjects but im not so i cant get qualified to teach them. i dont think i would still pass leaving cert ordinary level maths if i had to now. just cant deal with it at all, that and tech drawing!

teaching is a tough occupation and it really does not suit people who are driven to become financially successful, i suppose its a bit like farming, its a way of life more than a way to make money! as they say about farming we should keep teaching til all our money is gone!

Had another terrible interview experience. Applied for a position in an ETB school. I was told upon arrival that they did not in fact have my CV at all and they only had some other CV of a guy who had the same name as me but taught different subjects. There was a fcuk up in their database where you upload your details so in effect they knew nothing about me.

The interview as a result turned into a farce. It was very informal and I was asked very few questions (nothing on subject knowledge, discipline etc.). The interview was finished in well under ten minutes. The principal was apologetic and embarrassed at the time but the whole thing just felt a waste of time. It was a two hour return journey as well which added to the sting.

I was called the next day to be told that I didn't get the job (someone more experienced got it). There was no mention or apology again for how farcical the interview was. Fair enough the school are well within their rights to pick someone with more experience, but I did in no way get a fair crack of the whip. After a summer of interviews with no luck and no long term prospects of work I am becoming very disillusioned with the education process. This was the cherry on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Had another terrible interview experience. Applied for a position in an ETB school. I was told upon arrival that they did not in fact have my CV at all and they only had some other CV of a guy who had the same name as me but taught different subjects. There was a fcuk up in their database where you upload your details so in effect they knew nothing about me.

The interview as a result turned into a farce. It was very informal and I was asked very few questions (nothing on subject knowledge, discipline etc.). The interview was finished in well under ten minutes. The principal was apologetic and embarrassed at the time but the whole thing just felt a waste of time. It was a two hour return journey as well which added to the sting.

I was called the next day to be told that I didn't get the job (someone more experienced got it). There was no mention or apology again for how farcical the interview was. Fair enough the school are well within their rights to pick someone with more experience, but I did in no way get a fair crack of the whip. After a summer of interviews with no luck and no long term prospects of work I am becoming very disillusioned with the education process. This was the cherry on the cake.

We took on two teachers last December for a mat leave on 11 hours each as we couldn't match the subjects fully. On an ordinary day they might not have gotten a job due to experience and interview technique etc.

They're both on full hours in our school this year cos they're great teachers. In the past we have had great interviewees who weren't great in the classroom. The knew their stuff and all but didn't click with the students, probably went on to be great in a different type of school.

The point is that the interview is only a moment in time and if you're unsuccessful it doesn't mean you're bust. Sometimes things work out, I'm sure people told the two we have that they were mad to take 11 hours that weren't their own etc. etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

I have to say I had an interview last Monday, told me Id hear in the next couple of days. I didnt so I rang today, I didnt get the job but what I got was very useful feedback and a place on their panel. Maybe a phone call is not the right way but I hate sitting in limbo

Advertisement