Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anniversary Night

Options
  • 16-08-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been done to death before.

Myself and the missus have decided to go to Sligo Town this year for our 35th wedding anniv night. We have passed through Sligo before but never had a couple of nights out. Can anyone please suggest:

1. A nice hotel, preferably in the town centre so we can walk everywhere.
    2. Nice cosy restaurant. Nothing fancy, just good food.
    3. A couple of nice pubs, maybe with a bit of music suitable for the fifty somethings, or better still, a session where I can bring my mando :)

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Here some suggestions to get you started.

1. Hotels
    The Glasshouse is about as central as you can get.
    Riverside Hotel and Sligo City hotel are only two or three minutes walk from the town centre too.
    There's the Southern Hotel by the bus stop and train station. It's less than five minutes walk from town centre.

2. Restaurants
    Coach Lane/Donaghy's
    The Embassy
    Eala Bhan
    Bistro Bianconi

3. Pubs
    For pubs that might suit maybe Hargadons, Thomas Connolly's, Kennedy's, Shoot the Crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

In my opinion Southern Hotel is the best from the list above. Nice quiet reception areas and has a bit of class / character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Eala Ban has lovely food.

Bit further out but the radisson is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Clarion hotel or the Radisson is good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Vlove wrote: »
    Clarion hotel or the Radisson is good too!
    and both nowhere near the centre of town like asked..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

T-Bird wrote: »
    In my opinion Southern Hotel is the best from the list above. Nice quiet reception areas and has a bit of class / character.
    The Southern has a bit of class? :eek:

The Glasshouse is the nicest hotel right in the centre but Riverside/City Hotel are ok too if you want a slightly cheaper option.

If yer looking to join in a music session check out Earley's pub, they have sessions where anyone can join in certain nights of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

thebuzz wrote: »

The Glasshouse is the nicest hotel right in the centre but Riverside/City Hotel are ok too if you want a slightly cheaper option.

If yer looking to join in a music session check out Earley's pub, they have sessions where anyone can join in certain nights of the week.

Perhaps I sold have said character compared to the others. It was an opinion. Just as it is my opinion that the glass house is a monstrosity of a thing and sold never have been allowed to be built in the first place.

The couple were also celebrating their 34th anniversary (I'm not to far away from that myself) and was considering this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

The Sligo Park is a nice hotel and so is The Radisson! The glasshouse i dont really like tbh. feels a bit like an architectural project rather than an hotel.

Yeats Tavern/Davis's in Drumcliff is a good restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

lalabear53 wrote: »

Yeats Tavern/Davis's in Drumcliff is a good restaurant.

No good to OP, as they said they want to walk everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Check out Thomas Connolly's for music. They have music most nights of the week. Actually this website is fantastic for music venues:
    http://sligomusicians.com

Eala Bhan or Kennedy's for dinner. I haven't stayed in any of the hotels in town but I'd go for the Glasshouse, just don't look at the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

magnumlady wrote: »
    Check out Thomas Connolly's for music. They have music most nights of the week. Actually this website is fantastic for music venues:
    http://sligomusicians.com

Eala Bhan or Kennedy's for dinner. I haven't stayed in any of the hotels in town but I'd go for the Glasshouse, just don't look at the carpet.

a99176f17f98d40c567bce80a2707a2090dddb5e93468bca673bcc1b69c4ecf8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

thebuzz wrote: »
    T-Bird wrote: »

The Riverside have lovely food aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

OK, Many thanks to all for taking the trouble to reply.

We have decided to go with the Glasshouse.

Not sure about the restaurant yet.

I will give an account here when we return from our weekend in October.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186635-d9711119-Reviews-Fabbrica-Sligo_County_Sligo_Western_Ireland.html

This restrurant is very reasonable and it is not to far from the glasshouse.

Fabbrica

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

REPORT ON OUR TRIP TO SLIGO

Our Sligo weekend
    As things turned out we only got to stay for one night. WE stayed at the Glasshouse which was a really great choice as it’s so central. Arriving Saturday afternoon our hotel room was ready and available. It was a lovely fine evening so having checked in we went for a stroll along by the river and stopped off at A Casa Mia for a lovely coffee and scone. Nice friendly lady there gave my wife some shopping tips. Sligo has changed so much since my last visit. It has a real buzzy feel to it. Lovely shops and shopping centres. Above all friendly people.

After a few hours shopping it was time for a pint so we headed for Thomas Connolly’s. Again great advise from ppl here, there was a rugby match on and a great atmosphere , not to mention the Guinness which was heavenly. Then it was back to the Glasshouse to freshen up before heading to coach lane restaurant for a really great meal and some more pints.
    So thanks to everybody who replied with suggestions. We had a great time in Sligo. Next time we will stay for longer.

Advertisement