Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert studying

Options
  • 16-08-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

How many hours a night should a 5th year student spent on there homework and studying. I want to get good results in my leaving cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

How many hours a night should a 5th year student spent on there homework and studying. I want to get good results in my leaving cert.

At the beginning I would say just 2 and then closer to your exams 3.Tbh most the things I had learned in 5th year,I had forgotten in 6th especially the likes of biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Annie789

Kids spend far too long in the evenings studying.Two hours is too long if you have been at it all day at school. Are you getting home work from every teacher? Have you got a homework diary? try to do as much as you can during school hours. Don't overdo the studying as there's life after exams.Do other things as well such as seeing friends and getting exercise. Hobbies etc. count as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Annie789 wrote:
    Kids spend far too long in the evenings studying.Two hours is too long if you have been at it all day at school. Are you getting home work from every teacher? Have you got a homework diary? try to do as much as you can during school hours. Don't overdo the studying as there's life after exams.Do other things as well such as seeing friends and getting exercise. Hobbies etc. count as well.

It's nice advice to hear but alot of people wouldn't agree with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listening properly in class and not leaving a classroom without understanding what was done is very important. Doing that cuts out the need for a fair amount of study.
    Make sure to keep up at least one social or sporting activity. Exercise regularly, get oxygen into your blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

In 5th year the only study I would do other than homework was writing notes on the topics/chapters that we had covered that day, because a lot of the stuff you learn in 5th year will come up on the paper but it's very easy to have forgotten it. Plus it means that getting closer to exams, you have your notes ready to revise and you're not wasting time trying to remember what your teacher said was important.
    This is obviously just personal preference, everyone does things differently :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

spurious wrote:
    Listening properly in class and not leaving a classroom without understanding what was done is very important. Doing that cuts out the need for a fair amount of study. Make sure to keep up at least one social or sporting activity. Exercise regularly, get oxygen into your blood.

Sometimes it's not possible to understand everything before leaving, take maths for example, teacher explaining difficult stuff right up to the bell, bell goes, some people ask questions, you have to get to the next class on time, it's just not always possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes it's not possible to understand everything before leaving, take maths for example, teacher explaining difficult stuff right up to the bell, bell goes, some people ask questions, you have to get to the next class on time, it's just not always possible

That's when you ask the teacher can you see them for five minutes after school, or the next morning, or whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Quality not quantity. As a general rule if you complete all your homework it cuts down on the need for additional study.
    A good study plan is to test yourself using the end of chapter questions in your text books then correct them yourself and note any you ve got wrong and brush up on them.

As mentioned already - the importance of exercise cannot be overstated. Not just from a fitness POV but also your headspace. The biggest mistake I see made is people cutting back from playing competitive sports where they had always done and (anecdotally at least) absolutely no benefit in doing so).

Advertisement