Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche increasing fees

Options
  • 16-08-2016 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi there,

Can some one please give me some guidance here , I received a letter from my Creche to state that they are increasing costs and as a result my childcare is now increasing by 50 a week .. 200 a month .

Can a Creche just increase their fees like that whenever that want ? Surely there is some sort of cap on an increase in childcare Fees ? I'm a single parent who works full time and at this stage would be better off giving up my job and being on the dole as I am unable to pay this increase .

Any advice guys ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Assuming the creche is a private business of course they can set their own fees. Most likely their overheads have increased and this is being passed on. At the end of the day it is a business like any other. They are in it for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Plus Fifty a week is taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They're a private business, they can of course increase their fee's to whatever they like. If you don't agree to it you could find alternative childcare for your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Boo27 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Can some one please give me some guidance here , I received a letter from my Creche to state that they are increasing costs and as a result my childcare is now increasing by 50 a week .. 200 a month .

Can a Creche just increase their fees like that whenever that want ? Surely there is some sort of cap on an increase in childcare Fees ? I'm a single parent who works full time and at this stage would be better off giving up my job and being on the dole as I am unable to pay this increase .

Any advice guys ??

Unfortunately as crèches are a business they are in it for profit and can raise their prices as they wish. What percentage of an increase is it? Seems like a big jump. Have they increased their fees in the time you are with them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have they increased them above the average for the area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

We had to start paying an increase recently but it was c €60 per month, not per week. 50 a week is huge!
    No advice just my sympathy...
    Btw ours is not for profit, maybe tiny bit cheaper than chains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That's an incredible increase. Were they undercharging? That increase is more than I pay a week for my childminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Boo27 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Any advice guys ??

Would this creche be close to Pepper Canister Church in Dublin? Just received a note of an increase from 1000 per month to 1200 per month also a 200 increase - will have to look for alternatives - i understand an increase maybe 80 euro which would be 8% but a 20% increase - too far and too short notice.

I'm afraid all you can do is vote with your feet, its very awkward for me but i will look elsewhere unless they revisit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

There really should be some kind of tax credit/relief for childcare fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Operating costs for creches are the same as any other business. Rents and rates are the same and a very big cost for any small business plus staff costs are very high due to ratios. The majority of creches aren't creaming in huge profits. It's laughable that parents want their child in a nice creche, well looked after by good carers and well fed but don't want to pay for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

neris wrote:
    Operating costs for creches are the same as any other business. Rents and rates are the same and a very big cost for any small business plus staff costs are very high due to ratios. The majority of creches aren't creaming in huge profits. It's laughable that parents want their child in a nice creche, well looked after by good carers and well fed but don't want to pay for it

It's laughable that you don't realise that the op is wondering if it's worth her while going out to work. I'm sure she'd love to be able to pay it, it's not that she doesn't want to.

Advertisement