Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with your own furniture

Options
  • 16-08-2016 5:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

One of the things I hate about renting in Ireland is that houses usually come fully furnished. Depending on the house this either means the landlord's old junk (and sometimes personal belongings) that will end up in a skip when he decides to sell it, or cheap stuff he bought specifically for renting and will scrutinise for damage when you are leaving. Even putting aside the potential deposit implications of having to look after the landlord's furniture as well as his property, it's just another thing that prevents rental accommodation from feeling like home. Over the years I've built up a small amount of furniture, mainly beds since it's one of the hardest things to get used to in a new house, but I've avoided getting tables, armchairs, etc due the difficulty of trying to store the landlord's stuff.

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of tenants who have their own furniture. Are landlords receptive to removing their furniture or is it generally a case of take it "as is"? Based on my experience they sometimes suggest putting it in the shed but aren't prepared to remove it. In the current market asking them to do so seems like the sort of thing that might lose you a house. As a tenant is there any point accumulating your own furniture?

Tenants, which would you prefer? 143 votes

Fully furnished
    0%
    Partially furnished (kitchen appliances etc)
    18%
    Kintarō HattoriStarkPaulw68 lost soulsnervous_twitchartanevillaadelcrowsmel[Deleted User]DaraDaliSquall LeonhartClashCityRockerRackstarBig Pussy Bonpensierofitefuaiteali_dFrStoneJasper79TheGunnsBrego888purplecow1977 27 votes
    Unfurnished
    41%
    _Kaiser_mike2084snickerpussRed Alertjam_mac_jamMezcitaiguanaInnervisionlilmissprincessfitssk8board5uspectjimmyjim11pinkypinkyMrs OBumblepooch90mckildareOSIMalarirightoldpickle 59 votes
    Don't mind
    39%
    morganasickleThe_Conductor[Deleted User]Faith[Deleted User]jester77markfinnsyklopssocbeanianSad Professortriggermortis[Deleted User]MachaDubDaniquietsailorMenapwurpleCheshire Cat 57 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most landlords have not got the space to move their furniture to; although if you get someone with multiple properties they may be more receptive to it.

Unfurnished is nearly unheard of here due to the required appliances list, basically - nobody seems to want to offer somewhere with those and no other furniture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I provided a 3 piece leather recliner to my tennant. She provided everything else herself. Table, beds, lockers, any side boards etc

Find it much easier that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

My wife an I rent a new build directly from the property developer. Appliances provided but apart from that we have our own furniture. We had the option of X€ per month unfurnished or X+ €200 per month furnished. We took unfurnished as we wanted to start to build some furniture of our own for when we buy.

Don't mind
    I'd love to get an unfurnished place myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't mind
    L1011 wrote: »
    Most landlords have not got the space to move their furniture to; although if you get someone with multiple properties they may be more receptive to it.

Unfurnished is nearly unheard of here due to the required appliances list, basically - nobody seems to want to offer somewhere with those and no other furniture.

Kitchen appliances like washing machines, fridges, etc are one thing, furniture is another. Having said that, I'd have no problem renting an empty shell like they do in Germany.

Actually in the first house we rented we ended up replacing most of the appliances ourselves - and took them with us when we left. But I wouldn't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Don't mind
    I'm in semi furnished and it's been awesome. We own our own living room furniture, main bedroom and toddlers room furniture as well as a table and chairs

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

I'm a landlord and would love to rent unfurnished.

Next time a tenant leaves I may advertise as furnished or unfurnished and be done with the hassle of fixing and replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Don't mind
    lcwill wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and would love to rent unfurnished.

Next time a tenant leaves I may advertise as furnished or unfurnished and be done with the hassle of fixing and replacing.

I would believe that you will also get steadier tenants. They are more likely to take care of the place if they make it their own, own their own stuff and are likely to be long term tenants. I know that we are now 5 years in our place and the previous tenant was six years. Both us and the previous tenant moved from the house to buying our own (or at least thats the current plan). We had annual/biannual rent increases but otherwise the set up suited both us and the landlord and we rarely see each other

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I would believe that you will also get steadier tenants. They are more likely to take care of the place if they make it their own, own their own stuff and are likely to be long term tenants. I know that we are now 5 years in our place and the previous tenant was six years. Both us and the previous tenant moved from the house to buying our own (or at least thats the current plan). We had annual/biannual rent increases but otherwise the set up suited both us and the landlord and we rarely see each other

That is my thinking on it too

I will soon be letting out a 1 bed apartment in Dublin City Centre, allegedly my arm will be snapped off for it on the open market

But I am going to offer it unfurnished first (but with all the legally required bits) at a discounted rent as I think I will get better tenants and it will be more comfortable for everyone

If I don't get any takers then whoever rents it will get it with a new bed, mattress, couch etc but if I don't have to take on that cost it would suit me better right now

Probably easier to rent out a house unfurnished but will see how this goes

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Good point made by mirrorwall14.

I have let a house semi-furnished. It was fully furnished but I dumped most of the older stuff, leaving table, chairs, suite of furniture etc which are in perfect condition along with brand new appliances. Tenant had her own beds and other stuff, including a washing machine, microwave and armchairs so I removed mine upon her moving in. She did however continue to buy more and more and ask for me to remove other items. I had to eventually call a halt as I don't have anywhere to store it. If she wants to store my stuff and replace it with her own, that's fine. If I was starting from scratch and had an option, I'd leave the place unfurnished and if I were ever a tenant again, I'd be coming with my own bed!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Kitchen appliances like washing machines, fridges, etc are one thing, furniture is another. Having said that, I'd have no problem renting an empty shell like they do in Germany.

Actually in the first house we rented we ended up replacing most of the appliances ourselves - and took them with us when we left. But I wouldn't do it again.

You have no problem letting a place empty, but you are in the slim minority. Even the American REIT in Dublin knows that Irish tenants want the place furnished. They are a business, if they thought they would make more money unfurnished, it would be unfurnished

Irish tenants want a super high spec house furnished close to the Dart or Luas for next to nothing. An unfurnished place will not cut it for 99.5% of Irish tenants.

Don't mind
    As I said above, I'd be delighted with an unfurnished place. But maybe I'm in the minority. At the moment, I need to move out. I have my own bed and due to the high rents, I'll have to downsize and most likely won't be able to take the bed with me.

I think the majority of people want a furnished place in Ireland. I would have zero interest in spending money on any furnishings for a rental aside from a pillow, a quilt and a tv. The rest I'd want provided, buying stuff that won't suit the house I buy when the time comes, hassle moving stuff if you move house, having to fix the stuff yourself etc etc are some of the main reasons people woundn't want unfurnished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't mind
    I've added a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Don't mind
    I've always rented unfurnished as I have 2 young kids so it's easier to get furniture that will suit rather than a landlords old rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You have no problem letting a place empty, but you are in the slim minority. Even the American REIT in Dublin knows that Irish tenants want the place furnished. They are a business, if they thought they would make more money unfurnished, it would be unfurnished

Irish tenants want a super high spec house furnished close to the Dart or Luas for next to nothing. An unfurnished place will not cut it for 99.5% of Irish tenants.
    Would be illegal to rent empty, see minimum requirements

Don't mind
    I'm selling my house & was looking for an unfurnished place to rent.
    Impossible!
    Unfurnished places seem to be all upper end of the market, thousands a month in rent.

So unfortunately I had to get a furnished place, will have to Get Rid of a lot of my own stuff or find somewhere to store them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

If I was planning on renting for a few years, providing my own furniture may be fine.

However over the past 9 years, I've lived in 5 different places, comprising of live in landlords, strangers, apartment,house, single and as a couple!

It simply wouldn't be feasible for me to come equipped with my own furniture! Moving it around would also provide a problem - moving a bed?!

Furniture I may choose to buy for example for the apartment, may not be suitable for 1 of the houses I lived in, and vice versa.

It might suit some people but I always opt for furnished- less hassle for me!

I guess having the option of furnished/unfurnished would suit everyone.

I know that if majority of rentals were offered as unfurnished only, this would severely inhibit my choices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Don't mind
    I rent in Belgium where almost everything is rented unfurnished. I don't think I'd be able to rent furnished now. The place feels more like my own, has my own furniture etc.

It also means I'm not stuck with my landlord's odds and ends and s/he doesn't have to worry about it either - win/win.

Granted, moving is a bit more tricky but the system here is set up to suit long-term renters. Short term renters tend to rent bedrooms or aparthotels and those tend to be furnished. I should say there's also very good websites like adverts.ie for picking up second hand furniture and then there's IKEA.

Edit: for me it's another symptom of the 'renting is for losers' mentality in Ireland. Of course you want it furnished because you'll only be there a few years max and you're saving your money to invest in nice furniture in your own home. The mentality is completely different elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unfurnished
    I think the majority of people want a furnished place in Ireland.

The responses on this thread suggest otherwise!

Having to get your own stuff, or make do without, is an important part of growing up and learning the value of stuff. Irish kids for the most part miss out on this, they move from mammy and daddy providing everything to a LL providing everything. I don't think that it's good for them. Or for long-term stability in the rental market.

Yes, there need to be some fully-furnished places in the rental market. But it's not healthy for the majority of places to be like that.

• Advertisement

Having to get your own stuff, or make do without, is an important part of growing up and learning the value of stuff. Irish kids for the most part miss out on this, they move from mammy and daddy providing everything to a LL providing everything. I don't think that it's good for them. Or for long-term stability in the rental market.

Yes, there need to be some fully-furnished places in the rental market. But it's not healthy for the majority of places to be like that.

I have lived out of home for 12 years in total. In 7 different houses/apartments. I'm delighted the landlord provided everything for me! Except once I had to buy a TV! :D I don't think I'm at any disadvantage for it. When I have my OWN house, my OWN mortgage, I will buy my OWN furniture! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Don't mind
    I sold a house so had loads of furniture but now I rent. When I moved in I asked the Landlord to move his stuff out and he did, right into a skip to the tip! Most of the furniture in long term rentals is manky. My stuff is much nicer than the landlords was. I plan on being here for a few years so he gets the same rent (he was renting it furnished) but without any of the hassle of having to fix/replace broken furniture/appliances and I get a house that feels like home as it has all my little bits in it. win win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Unfurnished
    I would prefer to have my own stuff in the place - it would also be a good persuader for allowing a tenant to have a pet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Don't mind
    I have lived out of home for 12 years in total. In 7 different houses/apartments. I'm delighted the landlord provided everything for me! Except once I had to buy a TV! :D I don't think I'm at any disadvantage for it. When I have my OWN house, my OWN mortgage, I will buy my OWN furniture! :D
    That's exactly it. I'm renting but I still consider it my home. And as I will be here for a few years, I want to be comfortable and furnish it as I like.

Maybe I'll buy in the future, maybe not but I'm not going to make do with awful furniture in the meantime, especially when 'meamtime' could be another 3 years or more.

Macha wrote: »
    That's exactly it. I'm renting but I still consider it my home. And as I will be here for a few years, I want to be comfortable and furnish it as I like.

Maybe I'll buy in the future, maybe not but I'm not going to make do with awful furniture in the meantime, especially when 'meamtime' could be another 3 years or more.

Well perhaps it's different if you're sure of your situation, or married or whatever. Depending on my circumstances determines where I live so it's not that straight forward. I don't KNOW for sure that I'll be in X place for 2/3/4 years so that situation would not suit me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I would prefer to have my own stuff in the place - it would also be a good persuader for allowing a tenant to have a pet.

This is a good point. With cats, for example, the biggest issue is that they destroy furniture with their claws. Other than that, they do nothing to effect the building's structure and are easily house-trained.

What are you basing this on? People don't value stuff because they don't buy their own? I have no interest whatsoever buying furniture for a place I'm temporarily staying until the point comes where I buy my own place and then I can buy high quality stuff which is exactly suitable for the rooms etc. I'll be long enough funding furniture, household appliances etc when I own my own place why would I want doing it in when I'm renting.

Also just because things like furniture is provided doesn't mean people don't buy other things like TV's, their car etc so not like they don't buy things with value until they buy an armchair.
    Macha wrote: »

I suppose on the other hand I (and lots of others) don't consider places I rent as home, home is where I grew up and where I still have my own bedroom and keep a lot of my stuff. I have always looked at a rented place as a temporary place to stay during the week (and some weekends) while away from home and before the time comes/you are in a financial position to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Don't mind
    I rented a few furnished places in the past and they are generally hit and miss I find.
    A few years ago I stayed in a furnished place and it was so uncomfortable we moved out and got an unfurnished place
    Now we have our own furniture and if it doesn't suit our next place we will just sell it
    We are spending enough money so might as well be comfortable while we're at it

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Well boards certainly isn't representative of society in general. If it was sinn fein would have a large majority.

There are very few advantages to renting in Ireland, the main advantage is that your landlord has to fix stuff when its broken.

Let's be honest most Irish people only plan on renting for a few years, before buying a home. No point trying to buy neutral furniture for some rental property. Wait till you buy a home and spend money on furnishing it properly.

Also moving is hassle enough without trying to cart a 3 pie suite, a bed, bedside lockers and various other bits around.

• Advertisement

Don't mind
    FrStone wrote: »
    There are very few advantages to renting in Ireland, the main advantage is that your landlord has to fix stuff when its broken.

Let's be honest most Irish people only plan on renting for a few years, before buying a home. No point trying to buy neutral furniture for some rental property. Wait till you buy a home and spend money on furnishing it properly.

Also moving is hassle enough without trying to cart a 3 pie suite, a bed, bedside lockers and various other bits around.

That's changing. Homeownership has been falling since the early aughts. More people are renting and for longer. 1 in 5 households now are in the private rental sector. Most of them probably want to buy but many won't be able to. I've heard estimates that suggest that a third of current students will never own. Our cultural distaste for renting is as strong as it ever was, but the penny has to drop for tenants sooner or later.

Advertisement