Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti theft wheel nuts.

• 16-08-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Nct coming up, Im assuming I have to take the ant theft wheel nuts off?

Doesn't seem posdible manually currently

Also anyone any idea what the attached tool is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No need to remove lock nuts for NCT

Edit

That looks like a key for an electricity meter box or panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

that is an ESB box key, nothing to do with wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As said, no need for NCT.

However, if you don't have the special socket to remove them, what are you going to do if you get a puncture?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Esel wrote: »
    As said, no need for NCT.

However, if you don't have the special socket to remove them, what are you going to do if you get a puncture?

Brilliant. Yea key was just with the car when I got it.

I have the manual tools to actually take it off just physically couldn't take it off. The handbrake was the only thing holding the car back and even then it felt like I could move the car before I could get the anti theft lock off.

In other words haven't a breeze. Maybe buy a drill or something. Call the AA as lazy as it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Brilliant. Yea key was just with the car when I got it.

I have the manual tools to actually take it off just physically couldn't take it off. The handbrake was the only thing holding the car back and even then it felt like I could move the car before I could get the anti theft lock off.

In other words haven't a breeze. Maybe buy a drill or something. Call the AA as lazy as it seems.

What kind of car is it?

Most wheel lock nut keys look something like this and will be stored in the spare wheel well or in the glove box. If you bought the car second hand though there's a chance it's missing in which case you should go to your dealer and get them to either remove the lock nuts and put on 4 standard nuts in their place which is great for convenience but your wheels could be stolen, or order a new lock nut which sometimes isn't all that simple.

locking_wheel_nut_key.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's for your electric and gas meter box

So you have the correct lock nut key but just couldn't get it to turn with the wheel brace?

You might loosen it by stepping on the brace, or by putting a length of pipe on the brace to get more leverage.

You can buy an extending brace in a motor factors. Probably the best solution.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

And just as a reminder, remind and tyre place that you go to, to use torque wrench and NOT the air impact wrench to remove and re-tighten the wheel nut. One place destroyed mine and claimed it was never there in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Cheers guy appreciated will try put foot in it and avoid the electrical drill in future. Its a 206 and the locks are these bastards. For the time being I dont need them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cheers guy appreciated will try put foot in it and avoid the electrical drill in future. Its a 206 and the locks are these bastards. For the time being I dont need them off.

Be careful not to damage the wee tread in the lock or the key.

• Advertisement

You don't need them off until you *really* need them off - puncture time. Best to know now that you can take a wheel off when that time comes.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do you happen to have all 4 that actually match the 4 nuts on the wheel ,

I had to order a new set off a 406 recently that my old man bought for me had a locking nut missing and of course picked up a slow puncture meaning I couldn't take the wheel off ,
    The Peugeot are designed to snap off if you use anything to try take them off

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

It's for an outdoor gas or electricity meter cupboard - nothing to do with your car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you may be making the mistake of trying to loosen them with the car jacked up - You mention that the car is inclined to move as you force it.
    Before you jack at all, loosen them all a half turn with as much force as is needed. You won't brake anything and the car won't go anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement